Homarid

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Homarid

Postby Aardvark17 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 pm

From the mysterious reaches of infinity...

"Budget and style are not mutually exclusive" - Nephrop Humboldt, Admiral of the Lobster Corps

ImageHomarid by Aardvark17_, on Flickr

The Homarid is the soldier frame of the Lobster Corps, a group of budget mercenaries operating mostly in the Trantetian system. Their leader, Nephrop Humboldt, designs the frames himself, and has the uncanny ability to make quality frames at prices lower than should ever be possible. This has drawn the eye of several larger armies and corporations, but they have been unable to figure how he does it as his secrets remain well-guarded by his own forces.

ImageHomarid by Aardvark17_, on Flickr

Soldier loadout. I followed Mantisking's system design philosophy and made the systems almost entirely monochrome and in a color not found on the frame itself.
My goal with this one was to create more of a budget frame, which meant keeping the parts count low and rare parts down to a minimum — no padlocks. The rarest part here is probably the round brick with technic pin holes used in the torso, but I think their availability in the recent Pug polybag makes up for it.
The illegal connection in the feet gives the tiniest bit of forward lean, which I thought was kind of clever. It doesn't really show in the pictures.

Where there is conflict, the Lobster Corps is not far.
Nephrop Humboldt, Admiral of the Lobster Corps wrote:As mercenaries our allegiance lies where the money is. However, the Lobster Corps would like to extend an olive branch to fellow budgetarian General Hezeriah Twankus over at Twanks LLC - our aligned interests may make for a very profitable alliance.
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Re: Homarid

Postby Mantisking » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks for the shout-out. :) And that hip design gives me ideas.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Vitoria » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:08 pm

That looks killer, I love the hubcap backpack!
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:51 am

It's amazing how you manage to make a geometric design flow so well, great work :)
- KFA frame compilation
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

High-Budget Homarid

Postby Aardvark17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 pm

A Homarid variant commissioned for several smaller Phellutian military divisions.
ImageHigh-Budget Homarid by Aardvark17_, on Flickr

Also looks like I never responded to your comments on the original Homarid earlier -- Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! This one was definitely a bit more abstract, glad it still resonated with people.

Anyways, I've been working on just sitting down and building more often - more often than not I create something I like, so my output is really just determined by how often I actually build. So I've been trying to up that by just using more of my free time for building.
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Return to Frame Designs