Dog Fight Build Chalenge

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Dog Fight Build Chalenge

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Many of you have noticed I've been doing a thing.

Now you can be part of the thing! :)

Build a fighter craft to be used with MF0:DF and it may be selected to be part of the final book!

There are two different sub contests:

Single Fighter Contest

Build at least one fighter.

• First place winner: will be on the book with full instructions. (I will probably substitute the lore given, if any. If given and I really like it, I may include it, but no promises.)
  • Second place: will have two images of it in the book, in the rules and examples.
  • Third place: will have one image of it in the book, in the rules and examples.

Faction Contest

Build at least two fighters and write fluff for them that would fit a human faction of SC 0068 that would reasonably exist in the setting.

• First place winner: will be on the book with full instructions and lore. For both ships.
  • Second place: will have at least one image of it in the book, will be mentioned in the lore.
  • Third place: will be mentioned in the lore.

The same fighter can compete in both contests, it's not necessary, but it is good practice to declare which contest you are trying to win with each ship, since you can't win both contests with the same ship. You can build as many fighters and factions as you wish.

The deadline is June 30, 2019

Hope you folks have as much fun with this project as I'm having!

Some considerations for your builds:

• Fighters need facing (well defined front and back), so avoid fully radially symmetric designs. The models can still be mostly radial, but make sure to include at least one detail which hints direction.
  • Fighters are supposed to be built in the 4p scale (a human being is about four plates tall). Take note that fighters average bigger than mobile frames, so a 4p fighter is about as big as a 7p frame. If you need anymore advise when it comes to size, compare your fighter to a basic Chub, they should be roughly in the same size magnitude.
  • You don't need to have them pictured on top of 4x4 bases, but having them to be reasonably easy to have on a 4x4 base is a must. At least one stud, anti-stud, bar, clip, or any free connection point on the underside is a must.
  • I love abstract mathematical golems and flying space goats, and you totally can, and should, field things like that in the future. Yet, this is not what I'm looking for right now. Those are supposed to be the face of the game, so having something that can be instantly recognized as a science fiction space fighter is ideal.

Created a submissions thread here to make things a little more organized. You can still post comments and questions here.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: Dog Fight Build Chalenge

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Just a reminder to reinforce something.

There's no reason to be shy, you can post as many fighters you want, and you can even post how many versions of the same fighter you want! You can also edit the included fluff freely until the deadline date!

I've seen so many great designs in the Discord channels already, it pains me to not see them here yet!

A message brought to you by the Hangar Police!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Starflower » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:21 am

So, a couple of questions?

- Is there a required or preferred format for submissions? (3d file, bricked builds, breakdown pics, other, more?)

- Are there judging criterias to consider? (Like, is it more important to be über türbo cool, or use easily available parts, or...?)

- I recall that the fighters should be about the size to fit in The Box, but it might be good to mention here for clarity. ;)

Of course I know this isn't super serious and more for fun, so no pressure!
Starflower
Young Gun

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Starflower wrote:- Is there a required or preferred format for submissions? (3d file, bricked builds, breakdown pics, other, more?)

No, in order to achieve maximum accessibility, any format is accepted, as long as it can reasonably be built in real life.

If no 3D file is provided for a winner I'll build one myself after the contest finishes, I know my stud.io mojo very well, it will be trivial for me. ;)

Starflower wrote:- Are there judging criterias to consider? (Like, is it more important to be über türbo cool, or use easily available parts, or...?)

Use the common sense that comes with building frames here. A super complex build using hundreds of travis bricks and only rare parts as detail will most likely not win, but a super minimalist build consisting of nothing beyond a floating 2x4 brick is not likely to win either.

The key here is not go to either extreme, build something that would be reasonable to expect someone else wanting to and managing to build as well.

This is not as hard as it may sound, every build posted until now is very sensible and have a winning chance.

Starflower wrote:- I recall that the fighters should be about the size to fit in The Box, but it might be good to mention here for clarity. ;)

As I said, about as big as Chub or other average frame. The box is a good notion of restrain, when it comes to size. Of course, I wouldn't think a build is lesser if it has some fin or antenna poking out of the box, but the main "hull mass" should certainly stay inside. Nice to remember that every dimension can be the longer one, so you may stretch it to 12 studs in your preferred direction and allow about 10 for the others.

Either way, I don't anyone obsessing about the box either, one may find something that breaches it and still works very well. Just remember, if it towers over a Chub, you may want to fiddle with it again.

Again, just to reinforce it, all of you folks are doing very well!

So don't worry too much and just keep doing it!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion