Boot-Legos: COGO Beast Warriors

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Boot-Legos: COGO Beast Warriors

Postby Riptor25 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 am

COGO Beast Warriors

Working on my backlog of Boot-Legos, I decided that the most logical thing to do was to ignore said backlog, and instead troll the web for even more sets to buy! Hence I stumbled upon the motherload, brought to us by none other than COGO. Welcome to BootLegos, and these are the Beast Warriors.
Images-l1600 (2)

Just looking at the stock image of these sets, they immediately scream Mobile Frame Zero. I had to get my hands on them, and lucky for me they came in one big bulk lot. Now, this review will be a tad different than most, in the fact that I'm only organizing the separate pieces from ONE set. I'm only doing this because they are all essentially the same set, with a few cosmetic variations here and there, and to save my sanity. What I found most interesting about them was this "frame core" that all of them shared. It is a really simple design, but makes for a really great start to a Mobile Frame!
ImageHPIM4814 ImageHPIM4813

Another note, each one comes with instructions on 2 ways to build them! One is a generic man-in-a-mecha-suit style, while the other has more of a Beast Warrior vibe to it, using Lego Chima style helmets for the "beast" aspect. Between the two instructions, the only real difference is the shoulders, a bit on the chest, and how the feet are assembled.
ImageHPIM4807

First out of the baggie is Thai Warriors (Thai = Bear?) weighing in at 101 pieces.
ImageHPIM4808

As you'll begin to notice--if you haven't already--these tend to stand a little tall for Mobile Frames. So, with a bit of customizing, promising myself that I would keep the frame core and build off of that, I decided to make a more MFZ-friendly build! I did this with each of the sets. This one recycles a few extra bits from the other sets in the lot.
ImageHPIM4821

Next up is Rhinoceros Warriors, and my personal favorite. He is the second smallest in terms of parts, with only 93 pieces (again this is mostly in the cosmetics department).
ImageHPIM4810

I really dig that bley color on Rhinoceros Warriors, though in comparison to Lego, there's a definite emphasis on the BL in bley. Even before these guys showed up, that big red chestpiece just screamed "big red eye" to me, and so that influenced my MFZ build of this one.
ImageHPIM4820

Lion Warriors is up next, at 96 pieces. I'll admit, I was getting a bit bored with the Beast Warrior builds, so I made the regular warrior of this one.
ImageHPIM4809

This is how I realized that the shoulders on the plain Warrior versions on these guys is a bit weird. Just a few extra tap pieces strapped onto the back of each shoulder because...reasons? It also means we have an extra red helmet rolling around in addition to that lion helmet. In the end I went with the helmet-shoulders in my build, because I REALLY like those helmet-shoulders.
ImageHPIM4819

Dragon Warriors was next, and had the same number of pieces as Lion Warriors; 96 in total. Having realized that the regular Warrior version was a bit lackluster compared to the Beast Warrior, I went Beast on this one.
ImageHPIM4817

Dragon Warriors has a really nice look to it, and this made me really wish it was just a tad shorter to fit with MFZ! With a few pieces left over from the previous sets, I made more of a sniper build on him.
ImageHPIM4826

Wolf Warriors is second to last out of the box, but has the fewest number of pieces, sitting at only 81. I'll admit, while I liked the shoulders and feet of the Beast Warrior version, I actually liked the regular Warrior chest piece better. In the end I guess these can be mixed and matched to make one you like the best.
ImageHPIM4812

As I got to the end of these, I started getting a bit more experimental with my frame designs. Wolf Warriors was the first of these, and again, using that same frame core, I was able to get a basic quadrupedal frame out of his set (with a few extra pieces left over from the others). That Big Frickin' Sword (BFS) was begging to be a wolf's tail. I could also see this being that dog with a sword in it's mouth from Dark Souls.
ImageHPIM4822

Last but not least, we have Croc Warriors, with exactly 100 pieces. I really like that pale green on him.
ImageHPIM4811

Again, I got a bit more experimental with this guy, making kind of a hunchback frame. Try as I might, I wasn't able to really incorporate that croc helmet into the build.
ImageHPIM4825

Looking at brick quality, I'd say these are some of the better Boot-Legos I've had to work with. They lock together strong, but I'd say just a bit tighter than official Lego brand bricks. There was no flashing to trim, all clip connected well, and no deviations in color or quality. I was very pleasantly surprised! Of interesting note, though, that seems unique to COGO is that the clip on the end of their modified 1x2 bricks are about half as thich as the 1x1 clips. This didn't affect gripping quality, though. They also come with instructions to make one MASSIVE centaur-like abomination using all 6 sets, but it is hideous, and a garrish mish-mash of colors.

So, what is the final verdict? I LOVE these guys! If you're going for more of a Power Rangers vibe, these definitely fit the bill as an instant squad of frames. You could easily buy two or three of this bulk set, and have a demo-game all ready to go. The price is also a definite selling point. I've seen prices range from the low end of $12.99 up to $17.99, but I paid $12.99 USD for this. That includes all 6 sets! That is an absolutely absurd $0.02 per piece. TWO CENTS! At the more expensive price which jumps it up to a PPR of THREE WHOLE CENTS! I highly recommend picking these up for anyone willing to commit heresy. It's a steal and right up our alley.
A [Single-Set] Challenger has appeared!
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Re: Boot-Legos: COGO Beast Warriors

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:37 am

Outstanding review, as to be expected, Riptor. I'm already seeing techniques I can adapt to improve the PUG for a third official iteration, and the green on the Croc Warriors set would make an excellent TEMs paint scheme. Are these available in individual lots?
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Woah, those were pretty much made for us!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Riptor25 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:36 pm

CmdrRook wrote:Outstanding review, as to be expected, Riptor. I'm already seeing techniques I can adapt to improve the PUG for a third official iteration, and the green on the Croc Warriors set would make an excellent TEMs paint scheme. Are these available in individual lots?

Definitely link me to those when you make them! I'd love to see what you come up with!

VitorFaria wrote:Woah, those were pretty much made for us!

I know, right!?
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Digging deep, the only source of individual sets I could find was from an Amazon branch specifically operating in the UAE called Souq. Can't order them through Amazon at all, and can't find them on eBay. Do you have any other sources?
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Riptor25 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:00 pm

CmdrRook wrote:Digging deep, the only source of individual sets I could find was from an Amazon branch specifically operating in the UAE called Souq. Can't order them through Amazon at all, and can't find them on eBay. Do you have any other sources?

Rather than post ebay auctions all over this, I PM'd you the current listing link!
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby SamSam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:00 pm

I want beasties robots! can find in Walmart or kmart or othr stores?
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Riptor25 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:06 am

SamSam wrote:I want beasties robots! can find in Walmart or kmart or othr stores?

I haven't found any sets like these in physical stores, but I nabbed this particular set off of eBay. If you're interested, I can PM you a link. They're currently sitting at $17.99 USD.
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby Froomja » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:24 pm

I know this is months old, but just started to feel the MFZ fever, if the ebay link is still around can you PM me please?
Froomja
Newcomer

Postby Riptor25 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:28 am

Froomja wrote:I know this is months old, but just started to feel the MFZ fever, if the ebay link is still around can you PM me please?

Sure, I'll see if i can find the link and send it to you tomorrow morning :)
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby tankking » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:11 am

I'm new to MF0 and this seems like a great first buy for me! Can i get that link?
tankking
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Riptor25 wrote:Image
HPIM4813

This is giving me some ideas.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Riptor25 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Mantisking wrote:This is giving me some ideas.

I'd love to see what you come up with from this!
Riptor25
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion