MMMIG: "Expose Yourself!" Edition

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

MMMIG: "Expose Yourself!" Edition

Postby phayze81 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Here and there, I've been seeing some really amazing builds that incorporate microfigures in fun and interesting ways (I'm looking at YOU Atavism, SKROB and Vii!), and I feel very strongly that this is a thing that should be both applauded and encouraged. Thus I give you the following:

Source

Source

Source

Rather than call out a particular image for inspiration, I chose a few interesting samples that I came across to whet your appetite for the general style of building a mech/vehicle with an exposed operator. Maybe you have other ideas for what that looks like - vehicles with turret gunners, or big robo legs sticking off of a tiny fig, or swarms of infantry, or a tiny hangar scene with microfig techs working on a Chub - inspiration means whatever you want it to mean, so get creative and build something with microfigs!

Previous Threads here:

Don't be shy about posting builds to these past Editions! The Game is only "monthly" to the extent that I'm making a new thread once a month - there's no end-date for these
phayze81
Talkative

Re: MMMIG: "Expose Yourself!" Edition

Postby Atavism » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 am

This is my jam, and I was home alone all day anyway.

Started out inspired by some of the other "Metal Gear Roo" designs and just kinda let it take me wherever the attachment points worked. :D
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Valtarshol » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

ImageMMMIG January by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr

Time for some "casual" street patrolling.
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Atavism » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Is that a little robot policeman driving a police frame? Because I love it!
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Valtarshol » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Atavism wrote:Is that a little robot policeman driving a police frame? Because I love it!

Sure is!
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:02 am

Here's my submission. It's not that great, but it's worth sharing.

The PRU (Prowler Recon Unit) was made specifically to sneak behind enemy lines, assess the situation of enemy deployments and return to base with the information. The PRU's main defense is its speed, however, after several test runs it was concluded that a tail gunner would improve the survivability of the frame to discourage any enemy unit able to keep up once the PRU began it's return home. The frame originally had an enclosed cockpit for the operator and an armored cocoon for the tail gunner, however, to increase its aerodynamic shape, and to help lower it's scanning profile from enemy units, the designers opt to remove much of the original plating from the frame which included the prementioned enclosures, which in turn means it must rely on its speed to avoid as much confrontation as possible.

ImageJanuary's MMMIG Submission, PRU
PRU: d6Rd d6Rd Tail Gunner, d6Y d6Y Dual Recon Scanners, d6G Rear Thrusters

Hope you enjoyed :D
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Aardvark17 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 pm

I built a thing!
This was very loosely based on the "Float Speeder Study" one.
ImageGusthawk (MMMIG 5) by Aardvark17_, on Flickr
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:14 am

I really feel guilty for not yet posting in this forum .. again, but I just wanted to say so far, some really awesome designs!
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Plexus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Just realized I never posted my open canopy Rook here :D

Plexus
Chatty

Postby phayze81 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Look, I said a long time ago that there were no time limits on submitting to these things, so don't judge me... :p

ImageMMMIG Catch-up: 1/18 by J Dennis, on Flickr
phayze81
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:42 am

phayze81 wrote:Look, I said a long time ago that there were no time limits on submitting to these things, so don't judge me... :p

I don't think anyone's going to judge you. If they do, I'll shake my finger and talk softly at them. That'll scare them straight :lol: :lol:

I actually posted these a while back on another thread, but I think they qualify here as well:

ImageProtoFrames
ImageProtoFrame Speedy
ImageJungle ProtoFrame with Chub
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Voldeblade » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 pm

My entry: CHS-IM-1O "Chimpanzee Mk. I", a partially open-topped frame initially designed for drilling and mining in hazardous conditions. While the pilot is required to wear a full-body hardsuit, survival rates are still remarkably high in most industrial incidents, mostly due to the overhead roll cage and the arrangement of the sensor head assembly, meaning that the sensor pod usually absorbs damage that otherwise has the potential to be lethal if it were to strike the frame's core. Whether the same durability applies to combat scenarios remains to be seen
Standard configuration as follows:
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh for the heavy fusion drill on the left arm, d6Y for the head-mounted optic sensor array, and d6G for the rear-mounted maneuvering pack seen in the rear view below:
Despite its chunky and rugged appearance, the Chimpanzee Mk. I in this configuration is surprisingly light on its feet due to this being its original loadout, rather than the thrusters needing to compensate for the added mass of additional equipment beyond what it was originally designed for, thus earning d8G for lacking ranged weaponry.

This was a fun one to design! The challenge of building a core that could support a microfigure gave the initial form of a chunky box, with curved elements adding visual interest and variety. I'm particularly proud of the roll cage made of two handlebar pieces clipped to either side of the pilot's seat.
Voldeblade
Newcomer

Return to Frame Designs