Micro Battlepods

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Micro Battlepods

Postby Artasid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Some of you may remember that I admitted that Robotech/Macross has always been one of my favorite animes. In fact a very long time ago, I actually made a company of Zentraedi Battlepods (Here's the link for anyone interested ZenChibi Battlepods ).
Very recently, like 3 hours before posting this thread, I was experimenting with my LEGOs trying to decided upon a new core for a frame, however, I eventually ended up with the central body of what I now call the Micro Battlepods. I would love to add an LDD file for these, however, some of the connections are considered 'illegal' which means the Digital Designer will not allow me to replicate them. I'll post a breakdown if requested.

ImageMicro Battlepods
LEFT TO RIGHT
Gluuhaug-Regult: d6Ra d6Ra Missile Pods, d6Rd d6Rd Beam Cannon, d6G Rear Thrusters
Tactical Regult: d6Rd d6Rd Particle Cannon, d6G Rear Thrusters
Quel-Regult: d6Y Sensor Fin, d6Y All-Seeing Eye, d6G Rear Thrusters, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

These things are just so tiny and cute I would love to use them, but however, they are too small to be used in a standard game :cry:
Even a Chub is a giant compared to them
ImageSizing the Micro Battlepods

Now if only I can make a Veritech the same scale...Hmm... Might just try to figure that one out somehow.

Hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Last edited by Artasid on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Micro Battlepods

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Those are really nice!

Regults are hard to do well, especially at this acale!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:39 am

VitorFaria wrote:Those are really nice!

Regults are hard to do well, especially at this acale!

Thanks VitorFaria, The central core of the build was not too difficult. The hard part was how to attach weapon systems. Originally, I had the 4 main travis' connect to each other in a ring using the T-pieces and Clips. The side travis' were simply wedged between the studs of the four clips without any other connections.
The clips that held the T-Piece over the eye of the build however, did not allow for any other connections. Instead, I had removed those 2 clips, added a T-Piece to the bottom of the top travis in which I attached to two side travis'. This allowed the top T-Piece available for the primary cannons. The 2 unarmed pods you see in the pic with the Chub still have the completed ring connections I originally started with.

As I previously stated, I was going to work on making a Veritech of this same scale. While I am still experimenting with the Battleoid mode, I have made a decent sized Guardian/Gerwalk mode, among with another familiar face...

ImageMicro Robotech Mecha
LEFT TO RIGHT
Guardian/Gerwalk: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Autocannon and Belly Laser, d6G Aero-Wings, d6G Rear Thrusters
Tactical Regult: Same as Previous Pic above
Glaug: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Beam Cannons, d6Ra d6Ra Heavy Beam Cannon, d6G Rear Thrusters.

Hope you enjoyed and again I await any and all comments you wish to share.
Also, I wholeheartedly welcome any ideas on how to make a micro Battleoid this scale, without it being the size of a Chub. I thank you in advance.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am

That micro glaug is possibly the best thing you ever built!

Yet, I'm afraid you spelled "Macross" wrong.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Yet, I'm afraid you spelled "Macross" wrong.

??? I'm afraid I don't know where I misspelled. I only used the word Macross once in the first posting. I noticed you also commented on my Flickr page with
'Micro Macross Mecha* Fixed for you.'
Yet I'm not seeing anything changed. Please elaborate. Thank you
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Aardvark17 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:28 pm

I personally don't know much about it, but isn't Macross/Robotech a thing?
Like there are Macross and Robotech versions of the mechs...
I think Vitor was just joking about that. I honestly don't know about this though, please don't quote me, I am nowhere close to an expert on this.
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:14 am

I did some tweeking and some editing and I am finally ready to reveal my Micro Battlepod Assault force!

ImageRegult Battle Group
LEFT TO RIGHT
Quel-Regult BP: d6Y Sensor Fin, d6Y All-Seeing Eye, d6G Foot Thrusters, d6G Side Booster Pods, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
Gluuhaug-Regult BP: d6Rd d6Rd Beam Cannon, d6Ra d6Ra Long Range Missiles, d6G Foot Thrusters
Tactical-Regult BP: d6Rd d6Rd Particle Cannon, d6B Light Defense Laser, d6G Foot Thrusters, d6G Side Booster Pods
Serauhau-Regult BP: d6Rd d6Rd Beam Cannon, d6Ra d6Ra Heavy Warheads, d6G Foot Thrusters
Quel-Regult BP: d6Y Sensor Fin, d6Y All-Seeing Eye, d6G Foot Thrusters, d6G Side Booster Pods, d8G No Ranged Weaponry.

One of the changes I made was to remove the rear mounted thrusters. I was rewatching my Robotech series and I realized that the thrusters were actually on the sides and feet of the battlepods, so I had to make corrections. Plus the trans blue dishs on the feet makes it easier for them to stand.

VitorFaria wrote:That micro glaug is possibly the best thing you ever built!

Thank you VitorFaria. If you are interested, I have added an LDD file plus rendering of the Glaug. Plus I managed to 'cheat' the Digital Designer so I can recreated the illegal connections for the Regult. I will add them and the micro guardian LDDs here plus renderings.

ImageMicro Glaug Rendering

Glaug Officer Battlepod LDD

ImageMicro Regult Rendering

Regult Battlepod LDD

ImageMicro Guardian Rendering

Veritech Guardian LDD

Phew... that was a lot of work. Hope everyone enjoys and I am eagerly awaiting to hear your thoughts.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:32 am

Aardvark is right, I was just messing with you, Artasid! :D

It's an old inside joke, in some other Mecha related groups, to say "you spelled Macross wrong", whenever someone mentions Robotech.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:20 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Aardvark is right, I was just messing with you, Artasid! :D

It's an old inside joke, in some other Mecha related groups, to say "you spelled Macross wrong", whenever someone mentions Robotech.

:oops: :oops: :oops: Ah... oops. Sorry, I never actually heard that before today. Which only goes to show how old (or old fashioned) I am.
Thank you for explaining. :lol:
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 pm

It seems my dive into making micro Robotech/Macross mecha is not finished. :( I was showing off my Regult Battle group to some of my gaming friends this past weekend and one of them asked if I could do a Chub size of the Power Armor used by Miriya before she married Max. I accepted this challenge even though, design-wise, it is perhaps my least favorite mecha of the series. I also do not have the exact colors to match those of the original so I had to make due with what's available to me at the time.

ImageQueadluun-Rau Female Power Armor
Female PA: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Particle Cannons & Missile Boxes, d6G Rear Thrusters

ImageMicro Queadluun-Rau Rendering

Queadluun-Rau Female Power Armor LDD

Hope you enjoyed and I await all comments that you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby NinjaLegendDoom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:49 pm

I personally haven't watched RoboTech or Macross, but that looks great! I am curious, what does the back look like?
Erebus awaits us all...
d8Rh This is the way of the Ninja d8Rh
NinjaLegendDoom
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 pm

NinjaLegendDoom wrote:I personally haven't watched RoboTech or Macross, but that looks great! I am curious, what does the back look like?

Ask and ye shall receive

ImageFemale Power Armor Rear
ImagePartial Breakdown Female Power Armor Rear

In the previous post there is also an LDD file if you want to brick your own. If, for some reason, you do not have Lego Digital Designer, and you wish for a parts breakdown, I will post one if requested.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm

This is a really cool unit. For some reason the All Seeing Eye just takes the cake for me. I feel it fits with the overall theme of the unit. I also share the same thoughts as VitorFaria, that Glaug is one of the best designs. Great work :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:57 pm

I have now delved even deeper into the Robotech/Macross universe. Of all the micro builds I've done it occurred to me that I have not yet done an Invid mecha.

Until now!!

ImageMicro Gurab Invid Shock Troop
Gurab: d6Rd d6Rd Plasma Cannons, d6Rh d6Rh Anti-Armor Claws, d6B Extra Armor Plates

ImageFlight Mode

I know the colors are not exact, but I like it as it stands. And, to continue my previous posts, I will be adding an LDD file and Rendering for anyone who might be interested.

Micro Gurab LDD

ImageMicro Gurab Rendering

Hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share. If any.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Oh, now you're spelling Mospeada wrong! :lol:

Joking aside, this looks great, nice work with the colors!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Invid!
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Its been a while, but I decided to return to my Micro Battlepods from Macross/Robotech. The ones I have made previously are travis brick heavy (requiring 8 for one build) and I wanted to try and make it a bit more parts friendly for those who are suffering from lack of travis bricks. I experimented a bit and I think I came across a more parts friendly variant. The center white one is used for sizing and is not a redesign.

ImageMicro Battlepods remake
LEFT (Quel-Regult) d6Y All Seeing Eye, d6Y Sensor Fin, d6G Side Booster Pods, d6G Foot Thrusters, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
CENTER (Tactical-Regult) d6Rd d6Rd Particle Cannon, d6B Defense Laser, d6G Side Booster Pods, d6G Foot Thrusters
RIGHT (Tactical-Regult) d6Rd d6Rd Particle Cannon, d6G Side Booster Pods, d6G Foot Thrusters,

I just love how cute their chibiness is, plus I think the legs work out very well as I tried to get them as close as I could to the ones seen in the anime. I might tweek the design some more, but we'll see what happens.
As always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Nice work, Artasid, looking way better than the original at only a fraction of the price!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 am

VitorFaria wrote:Nice work, Artasid, looking way better than the original at only a fraction of the price!

Thanks VitorFaria, with Travis' becoming costly, and the padlock pieces becoming more common, I agree this is a more affordable variant. I am a bit concerned about those black bar pieces on the lower part of the legs (I don't know the correct name for that piece) as it is rather harder to find. These ones I was just lucky enough to find some in a few sets that might be retired by now, but I'm not sure.

Anywho… Here's an LDD file for anyone interested in making their own. This includes the standard Tactical-Regult, the Quel-Regult and the not yet seen remake of the Serauhau-Regult (I have bricked it, just too lazy to take a pic of it atm, but it'll come soon) also as an fyi, I added a second dish to the feet so that if you remove the foot thrusters dish for damage or for customizing, it can still stand without having to balance on the vertical clip.
Regult Battlepod remakes LDD
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:00 am

As promised, here are some more of the MKII Regult Battlepods. Just to let you know in advanced, I ran out of grey color pieces and I ended up making one in all black. I liked it to the point that I gave it its own name, so it is NOT canon for the Macross/Robotech series and was customized for fun.

ImageRegult Battle Group Remade
LEFT TO RIGHT
1 Gluuhaug-Regult BP MKII: d6Rd d6Rd Beam Cannon, d6Ra d6Ra Long Range Missiles, d6G Foot Thrusters
2 Tactical-Regult BP MKII : d6Rd d6Rd Particle Cannon, d6G Side Booster Pods, d6G Foot Thrusters
3 Stealth Huulgu-Regult BP MKII: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Particle Cannons, d6Y Comm Relay, d6G Foot Thrusters
4 Quel-Regult BP MKII: d6Y All-Seeing Eye, d6Y Sensor Fin, d6G Side Booster Pods, d6G Foot Thrusters, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
5 Serauhau-Regult BP MKII: d6Rd d6Rd Beam Cannon, d6Ra d6Ra Heavy Warheads, d6G Side Booster Pods, d6G Foot Thrusters

I hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Frame Designs