Tips & Tricks for a Better Game Table

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Tips & Tricks for a Better Game Table

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:06 pm

One of the things we discussed on the Discord channel recently was ways to make a better looking gaming table beyond cool Frames and broken walls. I figured thus was something we could discuss here and people could chime in because this is something that can help the community as a whole. Better looking tables means more eyes attracted to said tables means more people asking questions about MFZ means more potential converts to new players. Capisce?

I'll start.

A good piece of cloth -- it doesn't have to have pictures or a pattern -- can change the mood of the table dramatically. Rust Red for the sands of Mars, Kelly Green for a forest, Tan for a desert, color changes perception which can elevate your game just a little bit more. I personally prefer felt because it's a little thicker and can take more abuse over time, it also has a bit more friction which aids in keeping Frames upright. But you can use whatever you want.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Re: Tips & Tricks for a Better Game Table

Postby Blorf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:09 pm

I have two felt circles of different sizes. One is dark brown, one is tan. I cut the leftover scraps into various shapes that I lay on top. I also have a pile of felt scraps of various colors like green and blue. This not only gives me a variety of ways to make a great looking table, but clearly defines the edges of play space and provides an easy way to separate areas for use with environmental rules.

Beyond making great looking structures, it also helps to arrange the table on a theme. Arrange buildings along roads, create areas of dense greenery, or use cover following the landscape. Making the field believable as a location makes a big difference in how it feels.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Any sort of party supply store/isle will have colored table covers for a dollar or two. They're obviously disposable but they're cheap and easy and a splash of green is 1000x better than bare tabletop.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Great blog post, Mantisking!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Aardvark17 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Agreed, that's super useful. Thanks!
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:03 am

Been wondering about terrain coverage lately myself so I also found that blog post very useful; thanks, Mantisking!
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 am

VitorFaria wrote:Great blog post, Mantisking!

thank you.

Aardvark17 wrote:Agreed, that's super useful. Thanks!
spacemonkey wrote:Been wondering about terrain coverage lately myself so I also found that blog post very useful; thanks, Mantisking!

You're welcome. I'm going to try and work on more posts like that.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:09 am

Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion