Gender Pronouns in MFZ

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Gender Pronouns in MFZ

Postby grafvonbarnez » Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 pm

I think it's a good idea, and I try to do the same with my own writings about MFZ, though I don't know why a frame would be anything but an "it". Singular they certainly works better than some more pained constructions like xe/hir. (I actually thought that was great in Shock, given the tone and intent of it, but in something like MFZ they look, well, like made up words.)
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat May 03, 2014 3:42 am

grafvonbarnez wrote:... though I don't know why a frame would be anything but an "it".

Because the French don't have an "it", for example.
Or because the Germans would assign male gender to a frame, because it is a different-yet-equal word for "robot", which is male itself.

That was the reason here.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Sat May 03, 2014 10:33 am

You can imagine the challenge we had in translating Shock: to Italian. Translators have to have this incredible mastery of both languages, where they can understand the connotations of the source material, complete with linguistic and cultural baggage, and translate that into a similar meaning for a context of different linguistic and cultural baggage.

(The answer turned out to be "id", incidentally, which is Italian drawing from Latin the way English draws from German for "zie".)

Gusindor, that's a great vid!
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby CADmonkey » Sat May 03, 2014 7:57 pm

woodwardiocom wrote:When I was writing for Steve Jackson Games, I had to obey their house rule that the correct pronoun for people of unknown gender was "he". Since that rule was invented in the 19th century by sexist men for sexist reasons,

And just for folk's information, here's a short history lesson on that: WHEN THEY BECAME HIM
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection:
The Bright Seraphim MF0: Rapid Attack
Demo Teams MF0: Rapid Attack
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: Tumblr; G+
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Sun May 04, 2014 8:50 am

I'd like to note that, even though this post is from 2006 (the year of Shock:s first publication) and the commenter "Joshua" says something I might have said, it's not me. I'd have called it a Leatherman.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby ironnerd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 pm

In English, "he" is generic/neuter for living beings, "she" is specific to females. "It" is used for non-living items such as Frames and Ships. "They" is plural for both living and non-living, and it is incorrect to use it in place of "he" or "she".

It is not women who are devalued by this convention, but men (as they are generic).

Just my two cents, I really don't let things like that detract from a really nice set of rules with fun background stories, a sharp layout, and really nice art.
ironnerd
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm

ironnerd wrote:In English, "he" is generic/neuter for living beings, "she" is specific to females. "It" is used for non-living items such as Frames and Ships. "They" is plural for both living and non-living, and it is incorrect to use it in place of "he" or "she".

It might not have been your intention, but that can be interpreted as straight up prejudice, there are people on this very forum that prefer to be referred as "they" and it's not up to you to decide if it's wrong.

This is a warning from the moderation. Please refrain from posting content like this.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Previous

Return to Rapid Attack