The Meta Game

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

The Meta Game

Postby Mantisking » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

There was a short discussion on the Discord channel about the meta game of MFZ. I found it intriguing enough to turn into a blog post. I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Re: The Meta Game

Postby Blorf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm

A lot is about knowing your opponents. You can watch what happens in your own group to figure that out. When I came out to play you, I studied a few battle reports before we met up. With the local players, I reviewed my own reports before attempting the waffle battle. Knowing what to expect can give you a big advantage. On the other hand, I do my best to not be predictable.

If you don't consider a strategy up front, you can't commit to it on the field. Commitment is really important in MFZ, as there's just not enough time to change tactics and adapt. If you find the opponent has gained a strategic advantage, it's very difficult to upset it. This also makes the meta game very impactful on the outcome.

It's my understanding that I put much more thought into the meta game than most people I've played with.

When there's no hidden information in a game, controlling perception becomes much more important.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Blorf wrote:A lot is about knowing your opponents. You can watch what happens in your own group to figure that out. When I came out to play you, I studied a few battle reports before we met up. With the local players, I reviewed my own reports before attempting the waffle battle. Knowing what to expect can give you a big advantage. On the other hand, I do my best to not be predictable.

A few guys in the group tend to play the same squads with minor variations. One guy is new so is still figuring things out. A couple others change it up from game to game. Then there's me. :lol: Having compiled data on what people have brought to the table has made things interesting for me.

Blorf wrote:If you don't consider a strategy up front, you can't commit to it on the field. Commitment is really important in MFZ, as there's just not enough time to change tactics and adapt. If you find the opponent has gained a strategic advantage, it's very difficult to upset it. This also makes the meta game very impactful on the outcome.

Having a strategy and sticking with it is a key component of play in MFZ. If you flinch for even a turn it can effect your chances of winning.

Blorf wrote:It's my understanding that I put much more thought into the meta game than most people I've played with.

I'd say no more than the rest of us hardcore MFZ geeks.

Blorf wrote:When there's no hidden information in a game, controlling perception becomes much more important.

True.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Mantisking wrote:[I'd say no more than the rest of us hardcore MFZ geeks.

Some on the forum could rival me in that aspect for sure, but not so much those near home.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:26 am

Mantisking wrote:I'd say no more than the rest of us hardcore MFZ geeks.
Blorf wrote:Some on the forum could rival me in that aspect for sure, but not so much those near home.

Fair enough.

Anyone else care to join in?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:46 am

We need to get you winning more of those home games, MK!
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am

Blorf wrote:We need to get you winning more of those home games, MK!

I've won a bunch of away games, so I'm okay with that. :-)
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion