Just Some Random Ships

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Re: Just Some Random Ships

Postby Artasid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 am

Recently, VitorFaria posted several IO vessels based off Star Wars vehicle designs. I'm not sure if he posted one of these already, but I wanted to make one of my own. One of my favorite Star Wars vessels: The Blockade Runner (Originally seen in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope). I am aware that the color is off mainly because I did not have the parts in the right colors. Also, this build is a near copy from the Star Wars LEGO set 75011 due to it's nearly perfect IO scale.

ImageBlockade Runner
Blockade Runner: d6Rd d6Rd Turbolaser, d6B Escape Pod, d6Y Sensor Array, d6G Frigate Engines.

Normally VitorFaria makes Star Wars based ships and I do apologize if my posting one steps on toes, but I wanted to share.
I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:04 am

Just to be clear, is the ship using the escape pods as a counter missile or improvised shield?
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:24 am

Kick ass escape pod, Artasid, neat idea!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:03 pm

The Hydromancer wrote:Just to be clear, is the ship using the escape pods as a counter missile or improvised shield?

I consider the escape pod as an alternate way to increase the crews survival rating. On a more technical level, the pods do increase the overall mass of the main vessel, so if one 'accidently short-circuited' the Blockade Runner looses whatever mass that pod provided, kinda like armor plating that gets blown off in a fire-fight.

VitorFaria wrote:Kick ass escape pod, Artasid, neat idea!

It was a simple feature to add VitorFaria. I'm glad you liked it. I was actually paying homage to Episode IV: A New Hope, when the droids used the escape pod to abandon ship and land on Tatooine. Plus I was trying to think of what to use as systems for IO play and the escape pod wanted to be featured lol
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Been doing some slight experimenting with the Blockade Runner design. It's actually a bit more versatile than I initially thought

ImageBlockade Runner Variants
TAN: d6Ra d6Ra Support Range Torpedoes, d6Y Radar, d6Y Targeting Array, d6G Frigate Engines
WHITE/RED: d6Rd d6Rd Turbolaser, d6Ra d6Ra Heavy Blaster, d6Kd Frame Catapult with Company, d6G Frigate Engines

I'll play around with the customizations some more, so don't be surprised if I post any more. lol
I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:08 pm

That underslung catapult is pure style, nice work!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 pm

The Deimos Class Corvette has gained positive reputation as a defensive capital ship, however, there arose skeptics that voiced concerns that flagships need to have a more active role when in combat and have suggested a slight redesign is in order. Though the classic Deimos has more than succeeded in its intended role, an altered Deimos design has been created to test a more aggressive strategy, without sacrificing the Hardened Armor Plates that had earned it predecessor it's success.

ImageDeimos Carrier Class Corvette
Carrier Deimos: d6Rh d6Rh Point Defense Turret, d6B d6B Multi-Layered Hardened Armor Plates, 1d6K Frame Catapult with Company

Judgement is still on debate on a combat aggressive Deimos design, as this current model has yet to be tested in combat.

Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:18 am

Ever so slowly, I do intend to make a coherent fleet of Deimos class corvettes, and here's the newest one I bricked: the Heavy Carrier Deimos. This one uses the same build design as the previous red one.

ImageDeimos Heavy Carrier Corvette
Heavy Carrier: d6Ra d6Ra Heavy Beam Turret, d6B Multi-Layered Hardened Armor, 3d6K Dual Frame Catapults with Companies.

Artasid
Old Guard

Postby The Hydromancer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 am

The whole design is very solid, but I particular love those catapults with hangar bay openings!
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:53 am

The Mass Driver Frigate is so named for the Support Range Mass Driver main cannon installed on the ships bow. This ship was designed to snipe at vessels at a distance and even be an effective harasser at assault range. The drawback however is that it must rely on close range support from other vessels if enemy units get too close. Though it does have deflection plates to help protect the ship, it does not guarantee full protection against threats that swarm it.

ImageMass Driver Frigate
Mass Driver: d6Ra d6Ra Mass Cannon, d6Rd d6Rd Broadside Torpedoes, d6B Deflection Plates, d6G Frigate Engines.

I hope you enjoyed and I hope to hear any questions, comments, or suggestions you wish to share,
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby The Hydromancer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:48 am

In my head canon its the future version of a USPS truck and the mass driver is normally used for delivering inter-system supplies. Then every time it fires, you get to yell 'Special Delivery!'
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:38 pm

The Hydromancer wrote:In my head canon its the future version of a USPS truck and the mass driver is normally used for delivering inter-system supplies. Then every time it fires, you get to yell 'Special Delivery!'

Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now I wanna also yell, 'Here's Your Package' when I roll a 6.

I showed it to my older brother and when I told him I named it Mass Driver he asked 'What does Jesus Christ have to do with this game?'
In all honesty, it took me a moment before I realized he thought I meant Mass as in a 'religious gathering' instead of the 'electromagnetic cannon' that it's meant to be.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Here are 2 new random frigates for IO.

The Sibyl is perhaps one of the strangest looking ships ever deployed by the Solar Union, some have even nicknamed it the "Reverse Helicopter'. Many officers have been questioning its purpose, however, there is a reason for the unusual appearance. The Sibyl was constructed to house some of the most advanced AWACS sensors so far developed in an attempt to counter the strong magnetic and radioactive interferences to standard ships sensors. Most of these interferences occurred while traveling through space nebula or asteroid fields. The top brass of the SU battlefleets fear that such locations that disrupted scanners and radar were potential ambush spots. The Sibyl was then constructed to act as eyes and ears for such locations. However, the main drawback to this scout vessel is that the scanners and communication equipment require a massive energy output that there is very little to offer in means of secondary systems. This current model relies on a single company of Anti-Frame Defense Ace Aircraft as it's sole defense against threats.

ImageSibyl Frigate
Sibyl: d6Y AWACS Sensor Domes, d6Y Range Finder Antenna, 1Kd6 Aircraft/Frame Catapult with Defense Ace Company, d6G Frigate Engines

I do not have any backstory for this next frigate, only that I was going for a generic looking vessel and I think I hit the ballpark of what I was going for,
ImageHaze Frigate
Haze: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Support Range Torpedoes, d6B Rear Flak Turret, d6G Frigate Engines.

Artasid
Old Guard

Postby SamSam » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 pm

I hav a question. whats that white and black fighter ship thing called? looks like the black and red figher things you made be4
SamSam
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:40 pm

That elongated catapult works super well on the Sibyl, Artasid!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:37 am

SamSam wrote:I hav a question. whats that white and black fighter ship thing called? looks like the black and red figher things you made be4

If you are referring to the Defense Ace fighter with the Sibyl, I do not have a name for it. The design is similar to Shivan Fighter the Manticore Interceptor, but this newest one uses slightly different parts. Overall I just like the design.

VitorFaria wrote:That elongated catapult works super well on the Sibyl, Artasid!

Thank you VitorFaria. When I first built the Sibyl, the elongated 'nose' was just part of the overall design. I didn't convert it to a catapult until about an hour before I posted it. I'm glad I made that last minute change and that you liked it.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 pm

This next vessel for Intercept Orbit was an attempt to recreate the menacing Shivan Super Destroyer Lucifer from the PC game 'Freespace'. I could not get it exact as the source material, but the likeness is there. Plus it was a bit hard to get the angles to look right for the rear half of the ship, but I feel it is a rather good attempt.

ImageSSD Lucifer
Lucifer: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Flux Beam Cannons, d6B d6B Multiple Layers of Armored Plates.

I hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share, if any.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 pm

That's pretty ominous looking, Artasid!

Really nice!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:02 am

This newest random is not a ship per se, but it does serve as a High Value Asset for IO so I figured this would be the best place to post it.

The Vandus class Orbital SpaceStation has recently been proliferating across the various star systems. Unlike most stations that have a central role after construction, the Vandus has a more easily converted interior so that it can be used for whatever purpose is needed. It is not uncommon to see one Vandus near a TransGate acting as a sort of 'pitstop' for arriving and departing space vessels, while a second Vandus close by is a Luxury Travel Hotel for visitors and tourists and a third Vandus serving as a strict medical facility. There is even one rumored to have been converted into a political asylum for important Ambassadors and Delegates.
The dome shaped 'Head' of the station rotates in place to provide artificial gravity for that section of the station, while the remaining sections emit low to zero gravity. This makes the Vandus an ideal structure for zero-grav training. Several training academies for Orbital Space flight and combat have already been established using Vandus' class Stations.
However, despite all these benifits, the Vandus does have a serious flaw. Vandus Stations have no real defense of their own and must rely on nearby forces to safeguard them should they ever be threatened. However, as common as the Vandus' are becoming, it is unlikely some band of space pirates would want to board and comindeer one...

ImageOS Vandus

I hope you enjoyed and as always I eagerly await any and all comments, questions, insults, threats, praise and or suggestions you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:49 am

This has a really pleasing aesthetic, Artasid!

Great shaping with wedge plates!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

PreviousNext

Return to Intercept Orbit