[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Initial Setup Question

Initial Setup Question

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Initial Setup Question

Postby EdFadigan » Wed May 25, 2016 10:20 am

I'm prepping my Game Group for our first game of Mobile Frame Zero.

I anticipate having anywhere from 4 to 6 players. If we have six players, would you advise that we:

A) Use the 5 Player Starting Limits for 6 individuals. (1 Station - 3 to 4 Frames each Player)
or
B) Play as 3 "Teams", of 2 Players on each team, with the 3 Player limits. (2 Stations - 3 to 5 Frames for each Team)

Would either option break the break the starting Point System?

Speaking of …

We plan on playing the rules as written, for the first few games, but I can see TWO house rules coming up, rather quickly.

1) A "Heat" system

One of the unique resource slots to the Mech Battle games that we've been playing since the 80's, is the Heat Sink Cooldown/Shutdown dilemma. It was one of the "coolest" aspects of the game, as you continually needed to decide whether to press the attack, and risk overheating, or fall back, and let your weapons bleed off some heat. Has anyone considered expanding the game, to include a Cooling System? Or is this better handled abstractly within the rules as written?

2) Starting Company Tiebreakers

(Hint: If you think you might tie, be sure to bring a spare mobile frame to the game with you.)

Yeah … I can see this one being House Ruled on day ONE. There's no way that my group is gonna be so flexible as to add or delete frames from their companies based on ties for offense and defense. Then going back to recalculate scores? "Just delete a Frame? What's the big deal? Just grab another Frame … Here take this thing, and work it into your game plan."

NOPE.

If my group is going to embrace this game, it's going to need more startup predictability. Especially if I'm going to convince them to create their own Frames from toys, and bringing the loadouts for those Frames, before play begins. If a player if FORCED to add or delete Frames from his Company, it will become the SOLE reason, that his Company did not preform/win.

REGARDLESS.
"This game sucks … I would've won for sure, if I had fielded my Company as I'd designed it."

Proposed House Rule

If two players have a tied score for Defense at the initial setup, both players roll a six-sided die. The winning die roll player, subtracts ONE point to their initial score.
If two players have a tied score for Offense at the initial setup, both players roll a six-sided die. The losing die roll player, adds ONE point to their initial score.

Fielding the Companies then proceeds as normal.

Question:
Do you think this House Rule will break the Scoring System? Do games come down to One Point that often?

(Pictures and Battle Reports to follow)
EdFadigan
Newcomer

Re: Initial Setup Question

Postby Vitoria » Wed May 25, 2016 10:44 am

Last edited by Vitoria on Wed May 25, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 am

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed May 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Vitoria » Wed May 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby EdFadigan » Wed May 25, 2016 2:09 pm

These are JUST the kind of responses for which I was hoping.

We'll play it as written, as suggested.

I'll let you know, how it went, and what my players think of the game.

(They BETTER like it. I've already invested $15 in Mixels)
EdFadigan
Newcomer

Postby Vitoria » Wed May 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed May 25, 2016 3:12 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Vitoria » Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed May 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Another thought; allowing a tie in a 2-player game would have disastrous effects on its dynamic.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby EvilGod » Wed May 25, 2016 3:58 pm

one possible solution, which my group discussed last game, is that the tied defenders could also get the option to remove or add one or more systems to their existing frames. This should cost/gain them one or two ppa and is easier to plan in advance. We still played rules as written and the defender who lost the role-off grudgingly decided to add a frame with four systems, making him the primary attacker in our 5 player game.
EvilGod
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Wed May 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Return to Rapid Attack