Good Sets For Parts

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby jugglervr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 am

darksyntax wrote:
Mantisking wrote:My latest blog post.

I've seen the droid tank, but assumed that all the tank treads (which I don't have an immediate use for) would push the effective price/piece too high. I was wrong and happily so! And I didn't realize the "MFZ ppm" is as high as it is either: 14 SNOT bricks, 9 dishes, 6 1x2 curved slopes, 6 boatstuds, 10 misc bars (+4 flick missiles), 4 T's, 2 nozzles. This is on the shopping list!

Picked up 2, minus minifigs, on bricklink, for $11 apiece. Shipping pushed it up just over 30.
I had initially dismissed it based on the goofiness of its appearance and the large dishes, but what a great set of frame pieces! Lots of useful technic stuff, that help to comprise some great frame artillery weapons using the model's instructions.

I definitely have to examine more "sans minifig" sets. for some of them, it REALLY makes them affordable, especially if the minifigs are hard to find. I'm happy for that "value" to be drained out if I get a host of sweet parts out of it.
jugglervr
Been Around The Block

Postby darksyntax » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:00 pm

jugglervr wrote:I definitely have to examine more "sans minifig" sets. for some of them, it REALLY makes them affordable, especially if the minifigs are hard to find. I'm happy for that "value" to be drained out if I get a host of sweet parts out of it.

Sets sans-figs are a great deal. A coworker of mine has picked up a dozen or so larger sets sans-figs on bricklink for some large space ship projects and done quite well on price. I plan to pick up some sans-figs sets, but haven't done it yet.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby jugglervr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:51 pm

darksyntax wrote:
jugglervr wrote:I definitely have to examine more "sans minifig" sets. for some of them, it REALLY makes them affordable, especially if the minifigs are hard to find. I'm happy for that "value" to be drained out if I get a host of sweet parts out of it.

Sets sans-figs are a great deal. A coworker of mine has picked up a dozen or so larger sets sans-figs on bricklink for some large space ship projects and done quite well on price. I plan to pick up some sans-figs sets, but haven't done it yet.

wish there were a way to search for that easily... is there some method I don't know of?
jugglervr
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 am

Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby FlakManiak » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:57 am

Are you sure about the logging truck? That one seems dubious to me. Thunder Raider and Riddler Chase also don't seem spectacular but they seem fine enough, for that price point. All the others seem very good, as far as sets for parts go. As ever I'd be tempted to find sets cheap enough and good enough that I'd want to get five, but maybe that's my matching chassis tendencies speaking. I guess I'm not really a sets for parts person. Sets don't tend to come with 5, 10, 20 of the parts I'd want, and given the kinds of parts I like to use and the quantities, no sets will power my building agenda. But I guess I'm more a "design in LDD, then get parts" kinda guy than a "sit down with parts and then figure out what to make" kinda guy, unless the parts I'm sitting down with have been BrickLinked for the purpose of frame building but without a specific plan.

However, the Power Digger seems really good. Maybe not quite Umbaran MHC good, but very good. I keep thinking I should get some MHCs and then figure out which friend to give them to. Maybe I'll get some if they're still at that WalMart next I go. They were $4 each last I saw, so five won't break the bank and even if I sit on them for a long time, I'm sure someone will want them. (Yes, it is telling that even a fantastic MFZ set like that doesn't really excite me for my own use. I guess I'm used to being very specific when building, and to getting exactly the parts I want. Call me a princess if you will.)

Lastly, the number of parts against cost for some of the midrange Creator sets is fantastic. Both of the new animal-themed ones have awesome prices per piece.
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm

FlakManiak wrote:Are you sure about the logging truck? That one seems dubious to me.

It has plenty of clips, hinges, and brackets in multiple colors. It's probably the best of the current line of City sets.

FlakManiak wrote:Thunder Raider and Riddler Chase also don't seem spectacular but they seem fine enough, for that price point.

The Overborg Attack might actually be a better set in terms of useful pieces, but it is slightly more expensive per piece. I'll also admit I am a sucker for reasonably priced superhero sets.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby rudemech » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:13 am

I just picked up 31005 Construction Hauler. This is a pretty good MoF0 set at first glance - I should probably do a proper review, eh? Might be a good opportunity to brush up on my frame improv skills :)
rudemech
Chatty

Postby eatrepeat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:21 pm

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=70806-1
Just grabbed this and one of the smaller sets and am hutchin shocked!
If my Frames stay out of the Star Wars universe...
eatrepeat
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:47 am

Mantisking
Mod Team

Good Parts Source for MF0 and IO

Postby schoon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:26 pm

I can't comment on the number of parts or the cost per part, but it looks like a good source of interestng bits:

Create Race
schoon
Site Admin

Re: Good Parts Source for MF0 and IO

Postby woodwardiocom » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:40 pm

schoon wrote:I can't comment on the number of parts or the cost per part...

The cost-per-piece looks a little high (16 cents/piece), but there are definitely some nice bits in there...

-JW
woodwardiocom
Talkative

Re: Good Parts Source for MF0 and IO

Postby Mantisking » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:51 pm

schoon wrote:I can't comment on the number of parts or the cost per part, but it looks like a good source of interestng bits: Create Race
woodwardiocom wrote:The cost-per-piece looks a little high (16 cents/piece), but there are definitely some nice bits in there...

BrickSet Inventory. Enh. Only four snot pieces and no clips, along with the high PpP, make this not a great choice. You should be able to build something for IO with this set but a RA build might be asking a bit much.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:48 pm

One problem with Lego sets is that they come and go from store shelves rather quickly making MFZ set recommendations and SSCs irrelevant just as quickly (the Umbaran MHC polybag is case in point). For those that try to make recommendations it's a constant struggle to be current.

I was looking though some of my older SCCs I wondered if any were still available at a reasonable price. I was surprised to find a few that were.

40077 (90pcs) can be had on amazon.com for $8 USD (Prime) and toysrus.co.uk for £4.99 GBP (shipping might push them over on price, but if you can find them in-store in the UK...).

75002 can still be found quite easily and below MSRP (currently $15.79 US on amazon.com & Prime). 2 of these for $32 will easily get you frames, stations, and a ruler. That's hard, if not impossible, to beat.

31014 and 31021, as still current 2014 sets, can be easily had.
Image Image

Mixels are all around great sets. While the Series 1 and to a lesser extent Series 2 are getting harder to find, and the online reseller prices are going up, brick&mortar stores still have some at MSRP if you look around.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:35 am

darksyntax wrote:One problem with Lego sets is that they come and go from store shelves rather quickly making MFZ set recommendations and SSCs irrelevant just as quickly (the Umbaran MHC polybag is case in point). For those that try to make recommendations it's a constant struggle to be current.

Agreed.

darksyntax wrote:Mixels are all around great sets. While the Series 1 and to a lesser extent Series 2 are getting harder to find, and the online reseller prices are going up, brick&mortar stores still have some at MSRP if you look around.

The third series seems to be sticking around a little longer than the first two. You can also find some fairly "old" polybags in the checkout Aisles in Target if you're willing to dig a bit. Also discount stores like Marshall's/T.J. Maxx sometimes have older sets after they've passed through the main retail stores.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby shujah » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:55 am

I also need pet price if some one please help me out?
shujah
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:18 am

shujah wrote:I also need pet price if some one please help me out?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for.

Polly Want A Baggy 3.
Good Sets for Parts 9, part 1.
Good Sets for Parts 9, part 2.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:22 pm

I was in a bad mood yesterday and I snagged 31031 Rainforest Animals for $15 to cheer myself up. As my first ever SSC, I sat down and made 4 frames and 2.5 IO ships (the third one is bad enough that it doesn't really count), using every single piece (pics coming when I get the chance).

The colors are obviously pretty garish, but it's otherwise a pretty great set.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:29 am

Luke_BMM wrote:

I was in a bad mood yesterday and I snagged 31031 Rainforest Animals for $15 to cheer myself up. As my first ever SSC, I sat down and made 4 frames and 2.5 IO ships (the third one is bad enough that it doesn't really count), using every single piece (pics coming when I get the chance).

The colors are obviously pretty garish, but it's otherwise a pretty great set.

One man's "garish" is another man's "festive".
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:03 am

Luke_BMM wrote:I was in a bad mood yesterday and I snagged 31031 Rainforest Animals for $15 to cheer myself up.

Nothing wrong with a little retail therapy.

Luke_BMM wrote:As my first ever SSC, I sat down and made 4 frames and 2.5 IO ships (the third one is bad enough that it doesn't really count), using every single piece (pics coming when I get the chance).

Are we going to see pictures at any point?

Luke_BMM wrote:The colors are obviously pretty garish, but it's otherwise a pretty great set.

Cool.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Mantisking wrote:
Luke_BMM wrote:As my first ever SSC, I sat down and made 4 frames and 2.5 IO ships (the third one is bad enough that it doesn't really count), using every single piece (pics coming when I get the chance).

Are we going to see pictures at any point?

A quick group shot is up over in the frames forum. Thanks again for the GSfP posts.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion