The Peach Truck

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

The Peach Truck

Postby potsticker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 am

What's all the references to peach trucks in the setting background posts? Was it an early station/objective or something that showed up in con games?
potsticker
Talkative

Re: The Peach Truck

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:59 am

Yupp. There was "You can use what ever you like, a [list of various objectives] or a truck with a load of fresh peaches." in the description of stations.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby potsticker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Haha, good to know. Clearly the important agricultural staple that the Free Colonies are trying to protect.
potsticker
Talkative

Postby Wadmaasi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 pm

potsticker wrote:Clearly the important agricultural staple that the Free Colonies are trying to protect.

There are, after all, millions of peaches. Peaches for me. Unlike folk lore would have you believe, however, they are not free.

Unless those space-hippy trippy Free Colonists wise up and take their frames elsewhere!
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:17 pm

The mercenary lance I represent is being paid in peaches. There is, seemingly, no commodity as valueable as fresh, moist peaches. I heard, in strategic ranking (must be something about morale, damn sure), they rival Comm Arrays, Deep Space Sensors, Crashsites and rumor has it, each and every delivery of peaches comes with a free truck. So, there. We know where the tricks are at. Peaches. I am debating on assuming a peach colour scheme, to represent my awe.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:39 am

The peach thing is from a game of Man o' War that I played in, oh, like 1990. I had a dwarven fleet and had to get a load of "something" past a blockade. It had to be something valuable but perishable — otherwise I could have gone around. In the Warhammer Old World, peaches sounded like an absurd and delicate thing, especially for dwarves to be shipping, so that's what I carried.

In a game of Roroga years later (the origin of MFØ's specs for objectives and asymmetry), I had a jeep filled with peaches. That very model might have made it into an early game of Mechaton, and if not the model i was using was certainly inspired by it.

You'll also note a shovel referenced as a terrifying weapon of war. That comes from a game Vincent played at Gen Con in 2004 or so, where a guy beat Vincent's frame to death with a shovel after shouting "I DO TO YOU NOW THE ENORMOUS HURT!" You can see one behind Captain Estar's frame in the hangar scene on Flickr.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Soren » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Because you know a world is dystopian and f--ked when you can have serious economy-wrecking currency problems caused by baking pies.
Last edited by Soren on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Axhead » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Which is of course why Solar wants to move to a digital peach economy. Its not so they can moniter every transaction you make, no not at all, nope not at all. Best you don't even begin to worry your pretty little colonial heads over these small details.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Soren wrote:Because you know a world is dystopian and **** when you can have serious economy-wrecking currency problems caused by baking pies.

My new signature. That's just to awesome to pass up.
Because you know a world is dystopian and **** when you can have serious economy-wrecking currency problems caused by baking pies. -Soren
Ken
Chatty

Postby potsticker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:08 pm

The SU wants to move to fiat "Peachbucks?" That's ludicrous! The Free Colonies will always follow the peach standard where the currency value is always dictated by the number of actual peaches held in the galactic peach repository!
potsticker
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:49 pm

I heard the Ijad Shroomheads are offering peaches to new convertees.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ryujin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:37 am

The great thing about peaches as currency is that its very nature encourage its circulation within the economy--you've got to spend them all before they become overripe. Perhaps there are varieties of peach, grown in the unique conditions found on certain planets, that have superior qualities and are thus given a higher denomination.

Ced23Ric wrote:I heard the Ijad Shroomheads are offering peaches to new convertees.

Don't fall for it! Those are clearly laced with psychotropic additives that affect one's ability for independent thought. The local political officer told me so, so it must be true. He even treated everyone in the squad to some peaches from his family's orchard--they tasted a bit off, though.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby lt_col_thorin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm definitely going to have to build a peach repository as a station now.
I build 3p because gargantuan Frames are awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lt_col_thorin/
lt_col_thorin
Young Gun

Postby CrayolaSmoker » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:I heard the Ijad Shroomheads are offering peaches to new convertees.

Now I have visions of Toad, two long antennae/pigtails dangling behind him, telling a Chub, "I'm sorry MoF0's, but your peaches are in another castle."
CrayolaSmoker
Newcomer

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:14 pm

I was looking for a way to demonstrate the Varangian Guards/Valhallan Industries ludicrous wealth, After i found out about this whole peach thing a while back i made a conscious decision to make sure that within the fiction of our campaign, my commander has a bowl of fresh peaches at his desk at all times, and it never depletes...
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Xero010 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:06 pm

I can just picture an entire mobile frame battalion fighting to the last man over a brokendown truck carrying peaches. The poor teuck driver would be scared hutchless :lol:
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Doldrum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 am

Xero010 wrote:I can just picture an entire mobile frame battalion fighting to the last man over a brokendown truck carrying peaches. The poor teuck driver would be scared hutchless :lol:

This is something that has happened often in my battles...poor guys always seem to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Who ever controls the Peach controls the Universe.
Doldrum
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 am

No one becomes a peach truck driver without proper combat training.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Doldrum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Training is one thing, actually being there is another.
Who ever controls the Peach controls the Universe.
Doldrum
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Dude, all the peach truckers in my colony are seasoned veterans, pulled from battles the galaxy over, transited in, and sworn by oath to the Glyphpress Interstellar Peachery.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Background