Pre-Transit Gate colonial efforts? Transit Gate/SU timeline?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Pre-Transit Gate colonial efforts? Transit Gate/SU timeline?

Postby mraichelson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:16 pm

I feel like this has been touched on at least in passing but search is failing me at the moment. A couple things that I've been kicking around in terms of setting and background stuff:

Were there efforts at launching colony ships before the introduction of transit gate technology? (Sort of like the 100 year starship program.)

Does transit gate tech span back to the beginning of the Solar Union/Solar Calendar as a whole or does it {pre/post}-date the beginning of the SC? Based on what's in the background it sounds like it was sort of the lynchpin in helping to tie everything together bringing the SU into being and making the relaunch of the SC a thing.

And yeah, that is all coming from trying to validate or scrap some theoretical storyline stuff, namely to see if something like this fits within the SC proper: If you launched a colony ship to fractional-light speed (sub full light speed (rules are rules, even in physics), but fast enough to invoke time dilation a la theory of relativity) is there the chance of someone arriving to a colony world that was transit-gate colonized in the intervening "drive time" it took them to try to get there (but since they were in weirdy time-shift mode without proper communication to let anyone know "still on our way!" vs "oops, exploded on day 4, we're not going to be showing up." nobody was really sure if they were ever going to get there)?

(I feel like I keep getting hung up on the wrong things in this game. :))
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Pre-Transit Gate colonial efforts? Transit Gate/SU timel

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:31 pm

mraichelson wrote:It sounds like it was sort of the lynchpin in helping to tie everything together bringing the SU into being and making the relaunch of the SC a thing.

(I feel like I keep getting hung up on the wrong things in this game. :))

I believe the S.U. and the TTA were formed around the new technology concerning the Einstein-bridge. It's what allowed space travel beyond what we have now. I remember Soren mentioning in passing a Third and Fourth World War (which is how Asia became the World Leader; I want to say the fourth world war came down to America vs China too.) But the only mention of the Solar Union being called that seems to be due to this new tech, the lynchpin as you called it.

And dont feel bad about getting hung up on setting details. It's an excellent and fun setting, natural to want to know more & precise details.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby mraichelson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Awesome, that "Starship tech" thread was one I was looking for (but couldn't find in search to save my life). And I hadn't ever seen any of the WWIII/IV stuff before, good to read.
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:27 pm

No problem.

Also, while rereading that thread, i'd like to point out how crafty Joshua is. Two years in advance of Alpha Bandit...

Without going too far into spacecraft technology (we probably have to leave the concept of "spaceship" behind to it realistically), I can say these things:

• They're expensive — not so much to build (though it's not trivial), but to send through a transit gate. For that reason, they're often captured and repurposed.
• They have big exhaust bells that shoot hot gases and/or plasma out behind.
• They don't have to turn around to stop. How do they stop? Brakes, I guess. Maybe Superman is in there and pushes against the back wall. Let's not explore this too deeply or we stop having a "spaceship" real quick.
• They generally carry just enough fuel and supplies for their current trip. That's in part because, when they go through a gate, every bit of mass counts.
• Because gates exist, they're usually for trips of a few days at a time, at the most. Ships meant to go between planets are more like aircraft carriers, though: huge, with lots of life support, redundant systems, artificial gravity rings, hydroponics, all that jazz. They might have the same number of people and frames onboard, but they need to live on there for months at a time. (Oh, man. Anyone want to make a colony that's just one of these ships, flung accidentally into deep space, factionalized over time?)
• While any ship with a cargo bay (that's pretty much any ship) can carry mobile frames, any that are designed to use them in combat have hangars and catapults onboard. They're designed to launch frames at a target for a sortie. The frames then return, refuel, and are probably launched out again. Sometimes frames will get caught in a fight and run out of fuel, their pilots hoping they get picked up after the battle's over.
• Because the most important weapon a ship can have is a company of mobile frames, they'll frequently approach into boarding range, fighting with frames in the hope of capturing each other's ships.

This all matters for very good, but still secret, reasons.

Crafty like a fox!
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby mraichelson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Yeah, and just to pull some of the other notes that were of interest to me (and hopefully others) into one spot...

Soren wrote:[...]You never know - a small generation ship seems like the sort of fantastically inefficient bolt-hole project wartime governments (not even just dictatorships) embark on all the time. Remember that the real world is full of equally crazy things.

And I like lost colonies and other tropes of space-opera romanticism gone wild, so you've got a big thumbs-up for me. (Source)

(This is the part where I tell myself to gather this stuff onto the wiki later.)
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Foghammer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm going to need to do a lot of reading this summer... I can follow about a little less than half of the discussions people have here about space, traveling in it, the physics involved, and technology. And I only "follow" that little-less-than-half insomuch as I can extrapolate from smatterings of things I have read in PopSci, other sci-fi games/movies/writings, and the one or two college-level space books I thumbed through in elementary school thinking it made me look smart and cool. This conversation isn't there yet, but it feels like it might get there.

Are there any suggested essays on sub-light speed travel, generation ships, and folding space for "faking" FTL travel? I can only assume these are all things that real-life science has proposed at one time or another.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby mraichelson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Trying to find the link again, but ther ewas a post in a thread somewhere to a site that had a massive catalog of categorized propulsion systems from various different sci-fi settings. Most of my understanding of it comes from formerly having a job with a massive commute and chain-listening to the audiobooks of all the Ender-verse books, a recent run through the "Forever War" books, and watching plenty of Cosmos and things of that sort. (I also have a HS friend who wound up with a degree in astrophysics, but I try not to bug him with my doofy questions. :))
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:40 am

I will always and forever post Atomic Rockets as a one-stop shop for all your science-fictional nerdery needs. There are equations, a reading list, and when all else fails, the webmaster is a very friendly fellow.

I own this book, which is primarily about STL interstellar travel. It's a pretty good overview of the state-of-the-art when it was published (1989, when I was four), and not a lot has fundamentally changed since then.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Zero Revenge wrote:Also, while rereading that thread, i'd like to point out how crafty Joshua is. Two years in advance of Alpha Bandit...
Crafty like a fox!

;)
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Mobile Frame Background