Moore's Law & MF0

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Moore's Law & MF0

Postby schoon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 am

Despite the odd topic title, what I'm interested in knowing is the "state of the art" in computer technology in MF0.

Given the feel of the background, I would figure that they're not too far advanced - perhaps the odd expert system as opposed to AIs...
schoon
Site Admin

Re: Moore's Law & MF0

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 am

Yeah, I'd even say that, for the most part, it lags our technology a bit. Frames can be completely analog, in fact; the network they have is built out of the muscle cylinders themselves.

Data is stored on servers or carried around a Terabyte or so at a time on a thumbnail-sized card. Weather prediction can help you make informed decisions a week ahead. Translations come out goofy and surreal, but convey at least some of the meaning. Those are AI, but if you're talking about artificial people, naw. Nothing like that*.

You can look stuff up, trade files, and video chat on the local internet, and you can email through the transit gate to other transit gates.

*That might not be a matter of technological advancement anyway; it might require a philosophical shift before we can start to generate or even analyze, consciousness.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby eduty » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 am

The transit gate infrastructure reminds me a bit of a terrestrial train and rail system. It seems like you might have a few centers of civilization with the cutting edge of technology, but most colonies would be like frontier towns in the wild west... with mechs.
eduty
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Precisely!

Incidentally, they wind up, like ports, being the bottlenecks around which conflict forms.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Mobile Frame Background