What Does a Transit Gate Look Like?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

What Does a Transit Gate Look Like?

Postby schoon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 pm

I did a quick search for this, and didn't find anything that spoke to what transit gates actually looked like.

Is it the classic doughnut in space? The B5 radar array? None of the above?

I figure that it's got to be scalable from a data capsule to a warship, but that still leaves a lot to the imagination ;)
schoon
Site Admin

Re: What Does a Transit Gate Look Like?

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:51 pm

I think classic doughnut shape is really as much as we know. Joshua said quite a bit about Transit Gates in this thread but of course a picture would be worth a thousand words; something which, based on his later comments in that thread, he appears to be planning for the Alpha Bandit book. :)
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Thaddeus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 pm

I've asked the question myself!
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby schoon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 am

OK, so it's clearly open to some interpretation right now (or at least until someone draws a picture or builds one).

Random aside: it could be really fun to do an out-of-scale (they are city sized after all) version in LEGO as a building exercise...

But mostly they're a large open bay surrounded by rings of support and baggage train.

...and as no two towns ever turn out the same, I'd guess there's significant variation in gates as well.
schoon
Site Admin

Postby aimforthetop » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:00 pm

I've imagined the 'Space Doughnuts' in my http://www.mobileframehangar.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3367 System Melocotón setting to be hexagonal, if for no real reason other than 'hexagons look sci-fi!'. There an indigo or purple hexagon serves as the 'road sign' symbol for Transit Gates on maps and signage.

Of course, TGs have been being made for a very, very long time by the year 245 and the general structure could have been reimagined many times in many different places according to many different needs, resulting in Gates of many different appearances.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Return to Mobile Frame Background