Could One Way Jumps be used militairly?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Could One Way Jumps be used militairly?

Postby Grass4hopper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 pm

So I understand that one way jumps are imprecise. I also understand that transits are only shut down in dire cases, because they're a pain to turn back on.

Let say a faction controls a colony and it's transit gate. That colony's transit gate is shut down for whatever reason, possibly to prevent opposing forces from connecting with the gate. Is it feasible for a different faction to get to that planet by using a one way jump from a near by gate to increase accuracy as much a possible.

I understand that it's physically possible, I'm asking if it makes any kind of military sense?
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Re: Could One Way Jumps be used militairly?

Postby Xero010 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 pm

If you're confident your force can take that gate without heavy losses, I'd say it would definitely be a viable option, though the repercussions of being on the other side of the gate, heavily outnumbered with no ticket home are large(and could make for a potentially kick-ass story..).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Grass4hopper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 pm

I'm working on a (hopefully) kickass story with a coordinated assault where forces use simultaneous one way jumps from 4 different gates. I wanted to get some feedback on whether using one ways jumps to invade made any sense.

The invading force is . . . rather determined shall we say, so they'd be willing to take that risk.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Postby Xero010 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Nothing ventured nothing gained. This should be fun.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 am

It would be crazy expensive, but if your target is crazy high-value, it would make sense and probably make your target(s) poop themselves explosively.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Could One Way Jumps be used militarily?

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 am

As Xero says, I think it's an definitely viable military option but as Soren points out whether it's worthwhile could be entirely suspect. While perceivably any objective could be seized with enough manpower and resources, the return on the investment (especially when using transit gate jumps) would have to be significant enough to warrant the effort. I mean a small fleet loaded with personnel, combat frames, and ordinance plus supplies for several months isn't exactly going to be light on mass. A burnt out colony manages to seize its gate and decides to cut itself off from all trade, aid and communication? Good luck to them; probably just put on some watch list that can be periodically checked for gate reactivation (at which point some sort of TTM or TEM force might be sent in). Now if a booming colony with high value resources pulled such a stunt, it would probably be a different story and such a one-way jump might be put on the table. Of course such a colony probably wouldn't shut off their gate as if they can't trade then the value of those resources likely becomes negligible.

Of course a colony doesn't necessarily have to shut off their gate to warrant such a gamble. For example, look at Celiel. The Ijad seize the gate, repel the initial TTM rapid responders and apparently make the gate secure enough that any TEM follow up expeditions through the gate are rebuffed as well. At that point I can see the Solar Union entering sort of a "wait-and-see" mentality while evaluating their options. Then when the SU figured out that the Ijad were using their seized gate to start spreading to other colonies, I would hazard a guess they would have mounted exactly such a one-way jump with a sizable fleet intent on retaking (or even destroying) the transit gate. Of course given that the Ijad are still in control of the Celiel Gate, obviously things must have turned out poorly for the fleet (or maybe they were converted) and the SU has largely determined that the costs of any further attempts to retake the gate now exceed the rewards.
Last edited by spacemonkey on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Red_Robot » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 am

This is pretty much the premise behind my Gate Crashers campaign. At the start of the campaign the transit gate is disabled. Each engagement in the campaign will carry with it a check to see if the transit gate can be brought back online, and who has the collateral to control it. One of the possible outcomes is either the Solar Union or Ijad faction military shoots a reinforcement fleet into the system on a one way jump.

I imagine sending a military seek-and-destroy/search-and-rescue fleet in on a cold jump would be akin to the expense of sponsoring a colonial fleet. And you have to consider a small, but still significant, percentage of one end jumps are never heard from again. There would be considerable blood and treasure at risk for such a move. So something like this would likely be akin to the nuclear option.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:25 pm

If they're coming in from a long way away, "imprecise" means, "99% chance of lost forever". If they're closer, then it means that the defenders will see them coming, maybe for weeks.

Sending a bunch of ships together will get them closer than if you sent them separately, but they'll still wind up scattered around, facing all kooky directions, too. I bet there's a lot of hutching.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Mobile Frame Background