Resort Colonies

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Resort Colonies

Postby Grass4hopper » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:13 am

Do they exist?

I can’t see a colony being started as a vacation destination for the very wealthy; but I can a colony evolving into one. Perhaps the planet was chosen for mineral deposits under the oceans, but the mostly untouched continents are picturesque. There would need to be something exotic about the planet to attract visitors, neon purple sand beaches, 2000 ft trees, or something ever better.

The best bet would probably be a colony close enough to the Solar Union to require only one transit gate jump. A roundtrip ticket would be very costly, but there are likely enough extremely rich individuals in the Solar Union to support at least one resort colony.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Re: Resort Colonies

Postby Zero Revenge » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:27 am

Sure! Why not, right?

Just like you said, it's unlikely to have someone set out to START a resort colony world, but there's no reason one cannot become one.

Look at the Caribbean. British Colonies for the Sugar Triangle... trading thing... and now it's a bunch of resort islands...

Peace and Respect 'mon! Everytime.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby PD2525 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:04 pm

That could make some AWESOME terrain. Have a pool in the middle, and some little lounge chairs, little cabanas. Just imagine a chub stopping to pull a beach umbrella out of it's shield, and there's always the issue of civilians.
PD2525
Talkative

Postby aimforthetop » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Gate transit it very often described as very expensive, enough of an expense to restrict many other, more hard-industrial investments so with that in mind I have trouble seeing a resort planet as viable.

But isn't trouble what we're looking for as setting builders? ;) I really like the idea- especially that of a planet advertized for its clean-aired, blue-watered, green-earthed lush liveability that is in actuality a colony on the perilous fringe of continued existence like so many others. Certainly a great way to get fighty robots smashing hotels and cruise ships- something I've thought of before.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby PD2525 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Another thing this allows for: a company of construction frames turned resort defense group with fun Hawaiian shirt print patterns on them. Just imagine a chub dressed like Magnum PI.
PD2525
Talkative

Postby Xero010 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Why not go down the Dead Island route and have the colony invaded by certain nameless space horrors?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Because nameless space horrors are against the setting design principles. Everybody's people. If they got what they wanted, they'd stop fighting. And you gotta know what it is that they want.

Also! Just because something's turned out to be a dumb idea, doesn't mean the investors weren't fooled!
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Soren » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Yeah, and certain types of real estate developer are effectively Many-Angled Ones...
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Mobile Frame Background