Subforum for finding local players

Get support for technical issues
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of you posts should reflect this

Subforum for finding local players

Postby Grass4hopper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:57 am

I've seen on other table top gaming forums subsections where players can reach out to find players in there local area. I know MF:Z hasn't offically launched yet, but I think it would be a nice feature to add eventually.

Personally I'll try to get my friends to play MF:Z, but I like to have a larger local pool of opponents.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Re: Subforum for finding local players

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:17 am

There's a post in the General Discussion forum about gaming groups. You may have to dig tofind it.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Dukayn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 am

That's a good point, perhaps we can get that thread stickied when the game comes out and people are actively looking for games? Would be handy to have it easily accessible and would help stop further queries about this sort of thing in the future.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Grass4hopper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:36 pm

I found the thread, thanks for the tip.

I still think a separate subforum would be a good idea. My thinking is that a single thread could grow quite large pretty quickly, and make it hard to search thru 50 pages (for example) to find the one or two posts from people in your local area. If there was a separate thread for each local area, one could just use the search function and go straight to the thread that applied to them.

Hopefully MF:Z will continue to grow, and helping new players who live in smaller communities to find opponents is important for continued growth IMHO.

EDIT: Dakka Dakka has a pretty good system in place.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:45 pm

I semi-agree. A dedicated forum helps keep the lists separate but you risk people starting threads without looking for a thread for their area.

On the other hand a single thread means there's only one place to look, and you can search the thread itself for posts pertaining to your area. Less need to trawl through lots of pages if you can just search the single thread, which you can.

If we stick to a single thread I still propose it gets stickied in General Discussion or something so that it remains prominent.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby schoon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Stickied!
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm_Craig » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:14 am

I'd like to add my voice to the calls for a greater degree of organisation (probably through a sub forum) for the player/game finder section.)

The current game finder thread is - in a reflection of the geographic popularity of the game - pretty US-centric (that's not a criticism, before anyone goes off on one.) As others have commented, having a sub forum divided into geographical regions might actually be a useful thing to do as the game grows in popularity.

Cheers,
Malcolm
Mechatonic: An MFZ blog
Rules question? Read this!
"Long live the brave popular militias! Long live the loyal forces that fight alongside the workers! Long live the Republic! Long live democracy! Down with Fascism! Down with the reaction!"
Malcolm_Craig
Been Around The Block

Postby Doldrum » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:27 pm

I second this. I would like to find more players in capital district of New York and having just a single thread to advertise in may lead to the message getting lost within the mass of other hopeful posts.
Who ever controls the Peach controls the Universe.
Doldrum
Talkative

Postby Malcolm_Craig » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:16 am

So, any thoughts on this? It' a topic that has been hanging around for a while. The player finding thread that we're always pointed to is, quite frankly, useless. It's a matter of trawling through the thread and all the posts by folks saying which state they are from. For us non-USAians, it's not that helpful. Maybe local forum areas are the way forward. I certainly think they would encourage people to post about events in their geographic area and maybe even link up to have games.

Cheers
Malcolm
"Long live the brave popular militias! Long live the loyal forces that fight alongside the workers! Long live the Republic! Long live democracy! Down with Fascism! Down with the reaction!"
Malcolm_Craig
Been Around The Block

Postby Kaiser1917 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am

I think it would be helpful.
"Too close for missiles; I'm switching to guns!"
Kaiser1917
Talkative

Postby Draxinusom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:48 am

I think it would be very helpful. Even fairly broad regional forums would help to narrow down searches.
Draxinusom
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 am

I'm leaning in the direction of new sub-forums. Just give me a little time to figure out how to set them up.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Dukayn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Tell me what you want to add and I can do it if you like. I'm pretty handy at phpBB administration.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Dukayn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:01 pm

And done! See the new forums either via this link, or just look up in the forum index right beneath Battle Reports.

PLEASE read the posting guides to make things easiest for people to browse these forums.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Malcolm_Craig » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 am

Great stuff. Thanks for sorting that out.

Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm_Craig
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:07 am

Would be too much to request a "Latin America" sub forum in the game finder as well?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:43 am

VitorFaria wrote:Would be too much to request a "Latin America" sub forum in the game finder as well?

Done.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 am

Mantisking wrote:
VitorFaria wrote:Would be too much to request a "Latin America" sub forum in the game finder as well?

Done.

Woah, that was fast, thanks!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Forum Help