Rules preview: when you come under attack

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Rules preview: when you come under attack

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello!

It's a sad fact in this imperfect, peach-impoverished world that sometimes you find yourself in the company of others who wish you harm.

You have a defense number from 0 to 6.
You may have been spotted first by another frame. If so, you have a spot number from 1 to 6.
Your attacker has an attack number from 1 to 8.

I'll explain where all those numbers come from later on. (Spoiler: from the dice you've rolled.) For now I want to talk just about resolving attacks.

Here's the all-important equation: Attack + Spot - Defense = Damage Dice.

So say that here I've got Captain Hattapon and her 6 hardass shock marines, and you've got some allegedly-free colonists in their ridiculous "hi-legs." One of them is tracking Captain Hattapon's mobile frame with a targeting laser and another opens up on her with those twin machine guns. Here are some possibilities:
6 Attack + 4 Spot - 5 Defense = 5 Damage Dice.
3 Attack + 1 Spot - 6 Defense = 0 Damage Dice. (There are no negative damage dice.)
8 Attack + 6 Spot - 2 Defense = 12 Damage Dice.

You pick up that many dice and roll them for damage:
- If Captain Hattapon's out of cover, a damage die hits her on a 5 or 6.
- If she's in cover, a damage die hits her on a 6, and hits her cover on a 4 or 5.
- If she's in cover behind another mobile frame, a damage die hits her on a 6, and the covering frame on a 5.
- If this had been a hand to hand attack instead, a damage die would hit her on a 4, 5 or 6(!)

For each damage die that hits her, she loses one of her systems. Once she's out of systems, she loses her white dice, one at a time. When the second white die goes, she's destroyed.

When one of my frames takes damage, I get to choose which system(s) it loses. It's small comfort! I was using those.

So say that you have the best luck you can really expect and you get 12 damage dice on her while she's out of cover. Of those 12 dice, it's likely that around 4 of them will be 5 or 6, so you'll probably inflict 4 damage on her. That'll leave her with only her white dice left - a catastrophic, disabling blow.

Or say that you get 5 damage dice on her while she's in cover. The order of damage is: cover first, starting with 4s, then the frame. So if your 5 damage dice come up 2 2 4 5 6, that first 4 blows bricks off her cover. Is the cover still intact? If so, the 5 hits it and the 6 hits her, but if not, now the 5 and the 6 both hit her.

Or crap, say that it's not a hi-leg with double machine guns it's a converted construction frame with a pair of repurposed jackhammers, and you just got 12 damage dice on her in a hand to hand attack. It's very possible that half of your damage dice will come up 4, 5 or 6, and you'll inflict 6 damage for a one hit kill.

As always, questions welcome!

-Vincent
lumpley
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Rules preview: when you come under attack

Postby Wadmaasi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:38 pm

lumpley wrote:When one of my frames takes damage, I get to choose which system(s) it loses. It's small comfort! I was using those.

I chuckled at that last. Luckily none of my cube mates were around.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Forged » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Wow this is useful!
I was assuming that the red die had to be equal or greater before you were allowed to roll damage dice. Your explanation says that you add spot rolls right away, is this correct?

3 Attack + 4 Spot - 5 Defense = 2 Damage Dice?

I would have thought it would count as a miss.
Forged
Talkative

Postby Ramcat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I can't help asking:
lumpley wrote:The order of damage is: cover first, starting with 4s, then the frame. So if your 5 damage dice come up 2 2 4 5 6, that first 4 blows bricks off her cover. Is the cover still intact?

"that first 4 blows bricks off her cover" How many? How wide? How tall? Does the type of cover matter? Trees, 1x# bricks (walls, general purpose construction) vs 2x# bricks (military fortifications), stone temples, concrete slabs, etc?
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby Wadmaasi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Ramcat wrote:How many? How wide? How tall? Does the type of cover matter? Trees, 1x# bricks (walls, general purpose construction) vs 2x# bricks (military fortifications), stone temples, concrete slabs, etc?

I'm guessing "Sportsman's Agreement," much like you get to call whatever you want on your frames as equal to whichever dice you declare.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Xca|iber » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:04 pm

lumpley wrote:Or say that you get 5 damage dice on her while she's in cover. The order of damage is: cover first, starting with 4s, then the frame. So if your 5 damage dice come up 2 2 4 5 6, that first 4 blows bricks off her cover. Is the cover still intact? If so, the 5 hits it and the 6 hits her, but if not, now the 5 and the 6 both hit her.

A couple of questions:

First, if only 5s are rolled in your example, do you resolve damage against the cover one "5" at a time? So if you rolled 5 5 5 5 5, and only one of those would be necessary to destroy the cover, do the remaining 4 hit the targeted frame? Or do you resolve each "number group" at once? (e.g. resolve damage against cover from 4s, check condition, resolve 5s against cover and 6s against the target)

Second (relating to the previous), if the target is cowering... I mean tactically positioned behind one of it's allied frames, does this rule also apply to the intervening frame? So if the attacker rolls seven attack dice and gets lucky, rolling 2 3 5 5 5 6 6, and two of the 5s destroy the intervening frame, does the remaining 5 hit the target?
Ask Not, Fear Not.
Xca|iber
Young Gun

Postby The Trilobite » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 pm

I like the tone in which this is written, and there's a good narrative flow that even someone 98% chimpanzee like your truly can follow.

I imagine the question of blowing off bricks is answered in another section, probably nearby, in the actual book, but I would imagine something like 1 brick per.
"What do you put on your head to see all this stuff?"
--Just one of many questions raised by Porcelain Llama Theater.

My Johari Window
The Trilobite
Grizzled Veteran

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Forged: In Mechaton of old that would have counted as a miss, but no, not any more. In MFØ spots add straight to the attack.

Ramcat, Wadmaasi, Trilobite: 5 individual pieces per hit, any size, any type. Attacker chooses which 5. Very often, 1 hit will destroy, utterly or effectively, any piece of cover. Almost always, 2 hits will.

You can build extra-sturdy cover by building it out of a million 1x2 bricks or whatever. The durability of the cover on the battlefield doesn't turn out to matter that much, so I've never bothered, but you can play around with it and see what effect it has if you want to.

Xca|iber: Yes, one 5 at a time. Once the cover's gone, all remaining 5s and all 6s hit the frame behind it. And yes, although I've never seen anything like that actually happen.

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby Xca|iber » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

These rule previews are great :D
Ask Not, Fear Not.
Xca|iber
Young Gun

Postby Forged » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Thank you! I can't wait to see the whole rules!
Forged
Talkative

Postby potsticker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:20 pm

lumpley wrote:Hello!
- If she's in cover behind another mobile frame, a damage die hits her on a 6, and the covering frame on a 5.

- If she's in cover behind another mobile frame that has a 2B defense system, then a damage dice hits her on a 6, and nothing hits the covering frame.

Correct?
potsticker
Talkative

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Correctamundo.

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby Mantisking » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:28 pm

lumpley wrote:- If she's in cover behind another mobile frame, a damage die hits her on a 6, and the covering frame on a 5.
potsticker wrote:- If she's in cover behind another mobile frame that has a 2B defense system, then a damage dice hits her on a 6, and nothing hits the covering frame.

Correct?
lumpley wrote:Correctamundo.

So that's how that works. It never made sense to me before this.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Roger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm

As more of the rules are previewed, I find my questions are less-easily categorized into individual topics; sorry about that.

I sorta get the sense that attacking a not-rolled-yet frame could result in the target moving out of range. Is that actually a possibility, and if so, is it anything we should really worry about too much?

When do we launch those great rockets? I'm going to guess they're declared as part of the attack but one never knows.

So you're under heavy fire but it's okay because you've got all sorts of defense and rolled a 6 but then oh no you take some damage and you decide bah who needs defense anyway. In the general case, does a rolled die still stand even if the source system for the die is destroyed (I think armor and spot is about the only two cases to consider)? Or does something else exciting happen.

Cheers,
Roger
Roger
Young Gun

Postby Ramcat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh, I had a funny thought!! Entire buildings made out of 1x1 plates!!!!! 3 bricks high and a plate for a story, that's towers of 10 1x1 plates (per floor) to make really solid walls (assuming you start to pull plates from the top of the wall or at least center mass where you are hiding behind).

But I've already done my big buy for terrain blocks and they are about 600 1x2s, 600 1x3s and 600 1x4s. Hope I bought wisely.

On a more rule related note, I remember discusion about the closeness to a wall to provide cover (assuming shooter is on the other side of the wall), was something like: 'This frame is within 1 unit of the wall and therefore is in cover, when shot at from the other side'. What about partial covering? You just blew part of the wall away, how much of the frame has to be exposed to call it out of cover? 50%, 60%, 75%, 80%, 90%, etc...?

The same questions could be asked for the 'frame covering frame' senario. From the shooters perspective, a frame within 1 unit of another (and behind) gets cover when X percent cannot be seen (is shielded by the cover frame)?
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby potsticker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:10 pm

lumpley wrote:Correctamundo.

-Vincent

Ah, good. I'm glad I understood that correctly. Now that leads into the question-- how is cover determined? Can a frame act as cover for more than one friendly frame?
potsticker
Talkative

Postby Axhead » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:22 pm

lumpley wrote:Forged: In Mechaton of old that would have counted as a miss, but no, not any more. In MFØ spots add straight to the attack.
-Vincent

If a Mech has multiple spot dice on it, is there a limit to how many of those can be used by a single attack against the targeted mech?

I assume that using Spot dice is always voluntary: If I know that my crappy Red roll added to an already in place crappy spot roll is less than the targets defense roll that I dont have to waste the yellow dice. Right?
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ferrelferret » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Axhead wrote:
lumpley wrote:Forged: In Mechaton of old that would have counted as a miss, but no, not any more. In MFØ spots add straight to the attack.
-Vincent

If a Mech has multiple spot dice on it, is there a limit to how many of those can be used by a single attack against the targeted mech?

I assume that using Spot dice is always voluntary: If I know that my crappy Red roll added to an already in place crappy spot roll is less than the targets defense roll that I dont have to waste the yellow dice. Right?

From what I've gleaned so far, you can't spot for yourself. But, I don't know if the spots stack.

~ferret~

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
ferrelferret
Talkative

Postby potsticker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:49 pm

ferrelferret wrote:
Axhead wrote:From what I've gleaned so far, you can't spot for yourself. But, I don't know if the spots stack.

~ferret~

I was under the impression that you can use any spot from a previous roll, even if it was your own. You just can't use spot die that you're currently rolling for your turn.
potsticker
Talkative

Postby Galaxy613 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Forged wrote:Thank you! I can't wait to see the whole rules!

I am willing to bet VIncent will just collect all these forum threads and then pretty them up. xD
Galaxy613
Young Gun

Next

Return to Rapid Attack