Rules preview: speccing a frame

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Rules preview: speccing a frame

Postby lumpley » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:17 am

For hand to hand, measure the physical space between the frames, at their closest. If it's 1 ruler unit or less, it's hand to hand range. If it's more, it's direct fire range.

This business of building a frame whose radius is so big that it can't get into hand to hand range is I dunno what. Some kind of imaginary thing.

I think that J maybe told a congoer "measure from head to head" one time, and liked it so well that he decided retroactively that it must be the rule. But no.

-Vincent
lumpley
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Yeah, it's not the rule. It's just the easiest thing to do.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Can each frame in a company carry 3 SSRs? Or is it 3 for the whole company?

How do SSRs affect calculating the starting initiative? Extra system or not at all or something else?

If SSRs don't count for initiative, then why wouldn't you always load every frame with them?

Thanks. :)
Last edited by kc2dpt on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc2dpt
Chatty

Postby Dukayn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:10 pm

3 for the company, and they don't count as systems.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby timonkey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 pm

lumpley wrote:For hand to hand, measure the physical space between the frames, at their closest. If it's 1 ruler unit or less, it's hand to hand range. If it's more, it's direct fire range.

Is this how you measure other ranges too, or just hand to hand attacks?
timonkey
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 pm

It's fine for all ranges.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Other ranges, too. There is no "OMG YOU ARE 0.0001 inches in range!", the intention is to simply be cordial about it. There are no ruling lines on the ground, and no bases to measure from. A bit of sportsmanship is expected. As a rule-of-thumb, what both can agree on goes, and in unclear situations, you can decide for either "always in favor of the attacker" or "always in favor of the defender" if the first apprroach doesn't work.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby timonkey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:12 pm

I just feel weird, because some frames have weird shapes and if you measure the physical distance between frames then how a frame is rotated can matter. Have you had any problems with that?
timonkey
Chatty

Postby lumpley » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 pm

No, no problems.

It's super easy if you build a ruler. If the ruler can't touch both frames, it's artillery range. If it can touch both frames, it's direct fire range.

Here are the rules about whose favor you should decide in:
- Defense: if it's a close call, then yes, the defender is in cover.
- Movement: if it's a close call, then yes, the frame can move there.
- Attacking & spotting: if it's a close call, then yes, the target is within range.

So if it's a close call - if rotating the frame would matter, for instance - the rule says that of the two possible ranges, go with the one the attacker prefers.

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby timonkey » Tue May 01, 2012 1:09 am

lumpley wrote:It's super easy if you build a ruler. If the ruler can't touch both frames, it's artillery range. If it can touch both frames, it's direct fire range.

Wow, that's the best range rule ever.
timonkey
Chatty

Postby Axhead » Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Everyone is always willing to win big. I think so long as you are willing to loose big, you should have few problems with rule interpretations.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby dedominick » Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 am

lumpley wrote:Hey, if anybody wants my help speccing a frame, drop a link, picture, or description of it here and I'll be happy to say what I think.

-Vincent

I would appreciate your thoughts on these builds, Thanks much. It has been an obsessive blast building them.

The back of the "conscript" based guy (was going for some jets and potentially armor represented.
dedominick
Newcomer

Postby Dukayn » Thu May 03, 2012 3:55 am

Those are nice, however they should really be in the Frame Designs forum
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby randolph » Thu May 03, 2012 4:08 am

He was responding to/taking up Vincent's offer to stat out a frame from a link, picture, or description.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 am

Ah, yes I see that now. I missed V's post about it, and didn't see the quote.

My bad :oops:
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby lumpley » Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 am

Dedominick, excellent! Let's start with this one:

So clearly it's got guns on its arms. Do you figure they're both direct fire range weapons, or is one direct fire and one artillery range? That's up to you.

One important thing about the systems on a mobile frame is that when the frame takes damage, you have to bust the systems off of it to show their destruction. On this frame, what else could you remove? It looks like you could easily remove (a) the fender plates on the fronts of the legs, (b) the orange wings with the little orange lights on top, and (c) the orange frontpiece with the windshield. Anything else?

If I were fielding this frame, I'd say that (a) and (b) together constitute an armor system, and that the windshield on (c) isn't a cockpit, it's a sensor system in a transparent housing. All told:
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6Y

How does that sound to you?

Next up, this frame:

This guy's great! Are those rocket pods on its shoulders, or sensors, or what?
lumpley

Postby dedominick » Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm

lumpley wrote:Dedominick, excellent! Let's start with this one:

So clearly it's got guns on its arms. Do you figure they're both direct fire range weapons, or is one direct fire and one artillery range? That's up to you.

One important thing about the systems on a mobile frame is that when the frame takes damage, you have to bust the systems off of it to show their destruction. On this frame, what else could you remove? It looks like you could easily remove (a) the fender plates on the fronts of the legs, (b) the orange wings with the little orange lights on top, and (c) the orange frontpiece with the windshield. Anything else?

If I were fielding this frame, I'd say that (a) and (b) together constitute an armor system, and that the windshield on (c) isn't a cockpit, it's a sensor system in a transparent housing. All told:
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6Y

How does that sound to you?

Next up, this frame:

This guy's great! Are those rocket pods on its shoulders, or sensors, or what?

Thanks very much, like I said, I love building these, but am learning how to build them with an eye towards representation of systems, your input is much appreciated!

Here is everything removable there was a large back plate, that pops of easy that could conceivably represent something, and the side of one of the guns pops off easily (either might represent the aforemtioned sensor. It was my thought that this guy would be quite the bruiser, along the lines of a "tank" take it and dish it out. this seems fairly inline with your specs as far as i am aware.

This guy I was thinking as sort of a long distance artillery type of guy. I was thinking some sort of long range rockets. He was super simple to build and looks super BA and uses so few of the typical parts for these guys. Again, I am not as intimately familiar with the mechanics as I would like, so thanks again for your input.
dedominick
Newcomer

Postby jemmons » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Quick question on the rules about the free d8G. They say something like "if a frame has no d6Ra or d6Rd it gets a d8G that doesn't count as a system", right?

So what if a frame is spec'd with a d6Ra, but that system gets shot off? Is it the case that the frame technically doesn't have a d6Ra or a d6Rd anymore and so gets a d8G?

Or, with flavor, if we assume a frame with no d6Ra or d6Rd is lighter and thus gets the movement bonus, wouldn't it be just as light (and thus, fast) once those systems are blown up?
jemmons
Newcomer

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:06 pm

You got it right. The rule for the d8G are "lurking". As soon as the condition "does not have d6Ra / d6Rd" is true, the 'frame receives the d8G. That can be the start of the game, that can be the last turn.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:You got it right. The rule for the d8G are "lurking". As soon as the condition "does not have d6Ra / d6Rd" is true, the 'frame receives the d8G. That can be the start of the game, that can be the last turn.

Perhaps think of it as "every frame has a d8G that is suppressed by the presence of d6Ra or d6Rd."
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Rapid Attack