Rules preview: building your company

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Rules preview: building your company

Postby lumpley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 am

Hello!

In MFØ, your company is made of two kinds of units: stations and mobile frames. The minimum and maximum number of units in your company depends on the scale of the battle you're playing and the number of players.

These are for full-scale battles:
2 players: 3 stations and 5-8 mobile frames.
3 players: 2 stations and 4-7 mobile frames.
4 players: 2 stations and 4-6 mobile frames.
Your company must also carry 3 1-shot rockets.

These are for skirmish-scale battles:
2 players: 2 stations and 3-5 mobile frames.
3 players: 2 stations and 3-5 mobile frames.
4 players: 2 stations and 2-4 mobile frames.
Your company must also carry 2 1-shot rockets.

It's not to your advantage to always just field the largest company you're allowed. See Rules preview: balance & victory for more about that.

For your stations, you can build anything that's stationary and valuable to defend or seize. A downed satellite, a drop ship, a cache of medical supplies, a research facility's data storage drives, a truck with a flat tire and a load of fresh peaches. Whatever.

A mobile frame is made of a frame and attached systems. A frame can carry at most 4 systems, and at most 2 systems of any given type, but is otherwise allowed to carry any mix of systems you want.

There are six types of systems:
Defensive systems: armor, a shield, camoflage, stealth composite surfacing, ECM.
Movement systems: jumpjets, wings, wheels.
Surveillance/communications systems: a radio, a targeting laser, spotlights, a rifle scope.
Hand-to-hand weapon systems: a shock baton, a combat knife, a repurposed jackhammer.
Direct fire weapon systems: an assault rifle, a grenade launcher, a flamethrower, a beam weapon.
Artillery range weapon systems: a mortar, a sniper rifle, a railgun.

Weapon ranges in MFØ are exclusive. You can't attack with a direct fire weapon when you're in hand-to-hand range, and you can't attack with an artillery range weapon when you're within direct fire range.

In play, a frame's systems give you the dice you roll in order to do things, but I'll get into that later. For now, this should be enough to get you all building game-legal companies.

Questions welcome!

-Vincent
Last edited by lumpley on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
lumpley
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Rules preview: building your company

Postby lumpley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am

Oh, 1-shot rockets!

A 1-shot rocket can be any powerful single-use weapon, really, but usually they appear as rockets or grenades. A single mobile frame can carry up to 3 1-shot rockets, in addition to its systems. Every company has to have the same number of 1-shot rockets: 2 or 3, depending on the scale of the battle.

1-shot rockets work at direct fire range.

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby Roger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 pm

I know some games of this sort get pretty arcane with their terrain selection/placement rules.

Is 'terrain' also a de facto part of the company, or is it its own thing?

Cheers,
Roger
Roger
Young Gun

Postby lumpley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Good question!

The rules for placing your company on the table are specific - not too arcane - but the rules for terrain aren't. Basically, you lay out the terrain first, and then everybody has to agree that the battlefield is okay before anybody starts placing units.

In play, terrain effects contribute but don't dominate tactics, so agreeing that the battlefield is fine is low-stakes and easy.

One thing to keep in the back of your mind is that if a piece of terrain is really bugging you, you can just open fire on it. It won't last long.

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby MittenNinja » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 pm

lumpley wrote:Oh, 1-shot rockets!

A 1-shot rocket can be any powerful single-use weapon, really, but usually they appear as rockets or grenades. A single mobile frame can carry up to 3 1-shot rockets, in addition to its systems. Every company has to have the same number of 1-shot rockets: 2 or 3, depending on the scale of the battle.

1-shot rockets work at direct fire range.

-Vincent

So you can split up the SSRs among your frames or load them up all on one? I was wondering about that.

One other question: When you "double up" weapons of the same range and get the 2d6+d8. Do you lose those systems as a single system? or do you lose half of it first?
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby lumpley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Oh, when you take damage, a doubled-up weapon still counts as two systems, so you lose it by halves.
lumpley

Postby Soren » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Just to throw a wrench into the mix: you can make 'harder' and 'softer' cover by varying the number of parts in it. A wall made out of 1x2 plates (dark red or brown is good if you want to make brick walls) is going to last a lot longer than one-piece aluminum sheeting or trees.
Last edited by Soren on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Mantisking » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Soren wrote:Just to throw a wrench into the mix: you can make 'harder' and 'softer' cover by varying the number of parts in it. A wall made out of 1x2 plates (dark red or brown is good if you want to make brick walls) is going to last a lot longer than one-piece aluminum sheeting or trees.

Those "trees" look awfully metallic.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby schoon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 pm

I've got what I hope is an easy question:

It seems like most systems are represented by d6, except a few which use d8s.

How is this determined?
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Mantisking » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 pm

schoon wrote:I've got what I hope is an easy question:

It seems like most systems are represented by d6, except a few which use d8s.

How is this determined?

If you double up a weapon at one range, you roll 2d6+1d8. If you have a mech without Ranged weapons you get a free d8 for Movement.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby benlehman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 am

Are there still free movement d8s for no ranged weapons in MFØ? If so, I'm definitely rolling with a mostly-melee squad (w/artillery support). If not, must reconsider...

yrs--
--Ben
benlehman
Newcomer

Postby Forged » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 am

Time for some math-craft and speculation:

Assumptions:
6 types of system
max 2 of a specific type
Choose up to 4 systems.

You have 164 different combinations of up to 4 systems with the above rules.
If you are only looking at fully loaded Frames with 4 systems, you have only 87 load outs.

For frame creation an interesting note:
A generic frame handling ANY 4 combination is fairly easy since: you only need 2 "types" of slot.
Slot A must be able to hold systems 1-5
Slot B must be able to hold systems 2-6
If you have 2 of Slot A and 2 of Slot B on your frame you can build any combo!

That was fun.

Edit:

With new knowledge on how weapons systems can be mixed there is now:

325 different system combinations of fully loaded frames!
only 5 frame combinations are NOT armed!

533 combinations if your frame can start with 4 or less systems
511 are armed 22 are not.
Last edited by Forged on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forged
Talkative

Postby MikeDamrat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 am

Are there still free movement d8s for no ranged weapons in MFØ? If so, I'm definitely rolling with a mostly-melee squad (w/artillery support). If not, must reconsider...

Yes, I believe the all-hand-to-hand green d8 rule is still in effect. He also mentioned something about melee doing more damage than other forms of attack, but didn't elaborate on what that meant.
MikeDamrat
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 am

benlehman wrote:Are there still free movement d8s for no ranged weapons in MFØ? If so, I'm definitely rolling with a mostly-melee squad (w/artillery support). If not, must reconsider...

Yup, it's still in effect.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby RevSylvanus » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 am

I've heard it said that a frame with either no weapons and/or only h2h weapons gets a bonus 1Gd8 for movement. My question is, does an SSR count against this bonus?
RevSylvanus
Newcomer

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:48 am

RevSylvanus wrote:I've heard it said that a frame with either no weapons and/or only h2h weapons gets a bonus 1Gd8 for movement. My question is, does an SSR count against this bonus?

my understanding is yes it counts. but you can just launch the thing and then get a nice little speed boost. one guy I'm going to be putting together has three SSRs and h2h. it'll start the match by weakening enemy defenses ance then after those suckers are gone, close in for the kill.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby OrangeKNight » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:38 pm

MittenNinja wrote:
RevSylvanus wrote:I've heard it said that a frame with either no weapons and/or only h2h weapons gets a bonus 1Gd8 for movement. My question is, does an SSR count against this bonus?

my understanding is yes it counts. but you can just launch the thing and then get a nice little speed boost. one guy I'm going to be putting together has three SSRs and h2h. it'll start the match by weakening enemy defenses ance then after those suckers are gone, close in for the kill.

I was actually just thinking of the same thing for one of my Frames......I also really want to make a Goldion Hammer, gotta see if the needed parts come on Gold and Orange! :D
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby MrWeasely » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 pm

ZOMG, you all have still not settled on a conversion formula between one-shot-rockets and regular attachments? Sheesh, just pick something!!

Heavy Rocket. 3d6. to-hit 9. 100lbs, 1 space. burst effect, $200. 1 shot.
Rocket Launcher 2d6, to-hit 8, 250lbs loaded, 2 spaces, burst effect $1350 loaded. 10 shots.
MrWeasely
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:12 pm

MrWeasely wrote:ZOMG, you all have still not settled on a conversion formula between one-shot-rockets and regular attachments? Sheesh, just pick something!!

Heavy Rocket. 3d6. to-hit 9. 100lbs, 1 space. burst effect, $200. 1 shot.
Rocket Launcher 2d6, to-hit 8, 250lbs loaded, 2 spaces, burst effect $1350 loaded. 10 shots.

That is a total Car Wars shout out.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby lumpley » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:26 pm

If you were to corner me, for house rule purposes, I'd say 4.

-Vincent
lumpley

Next

Return to Rapid Attack