Do split systems "add up" to double systems?

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Do split systems "add up" to double systems?

Postby MittenNinja » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:52 am

Dukayn wrote:I *think* you can have 4 split systems, because they only count as half a system per range. Plus I remember seeing someone post a d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra loadout once.

You can do that build without having more than two of the same system by my definition. You do d6Rd d6Ra , d6Rd d6Ra , d6Rd d6Rd , d6Ra d6Ra . Then you have two of one system and one of each of the other two.

The way I see it, you can't lose half a system so there shouldn't be a way to calculate half a system. I think the "half system" wording was more to explain that you only get one die from each range which is half the normal amount you get from a regular system. Not that it counts as half a system.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:38 pm

That's also possible. It's ambiguous wording.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Re: Do split systems "add up" to double systems?

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:09 pm

d6Rd d6Ra d6Rd d6Ra d6Rd d6Rh d6Rd d6Rh d6W d6W is legal (if weird), but I bet it doesn't make it to the range you want, either unable to get a good defense number or unable to take good cover, and looking more threatening than it really is. And the benefit is miniscule: as someone pointed out upthread, your most likely roll of d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd is worse than your average of d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd, and only with the latter can you roll a 7 or 8.

You get the d8 for having two weapon systems completely devoted to one range. Period. That's what the rule is for, and it's what it does. As in other parts of the game, there are benefits for committing to something. If you wanna deal hellfire damage, send in a team of swarmers: d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6Y d6B d8G . They do the most damage possible in the game: up to 14 dice. If everyone rolls average, the target goes down in two hits.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Previous

Return to Rapid Attack