Rules preview: your mobile frame's turn

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Rules preview: your mobile frame's turn

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Hello!

Before I get into your frame's turn, let me tell you quickly about cover.

Cover

Any structure on the battlefield is cover if it's 3 bricks or more high, except stations. All standing mobile frames count as cover.

A mobile frame is in cover against an attacker if (a) it is within hand to hand range of cover, and (b) the cover is between it and its attacker, in whole or in part. Importantly, don't consider cover that is near the attacker or at some distance between them, only cover within hand to hand range of the defender. Line of sight doesn't matter.

Cool. So...

On a mobile frame's turn:
1. Name your target and range.
2. Gather and roll your dice.
3. Defend.
4-5. Attack then move, or move then attack.
6. Spot.
7. Seize a station.

1. Name your target and range.

Name the target of your attack and the range you'll be attacking at.

You can name any target on the battlefield, but you can only declare a range at which you can actually carry out an attack. That is, you can't declare that you'll be attacking at artillery range if you have no artillery weapon systems, or at direct fire range if you have no direct fire weapon systems. You can always declare that you'll be attacking hand to hand, because you can carry out a hand to hand attack even unarmed.

Since you have the opportunity to move before you attack, you can name a target currently out of range. When the time comes, if you manage to cross the necessary distance, you carry out the attack, but if you fail to cross the distance, you forgo the attack.

You can name no target, if you prefer not to make an attack. You can name a piece of terrain as a target, instead of a mobile frame, if you like. You can't name a station as a target, however.

If you've declared an attack at direct fire range, you can choose to include 1-shot rockets in your attack. You can fire as many 1-shot rockets as you choose, up to the number you're carrying.

2. Gather and roll your dice

Recall that:
- Your mobile frame gives you 2 white dice. d6W d6W
- Each defensive system adds 1 blue die. d6B or d6B d6B
- Each movement system adds 1 green die. d6G or d6G d6G
- Each surveillance/communications system adds 1 yellow die. d6Y or d6Y d6Y
- One weapon system at the appropriate range adds 2 red dice. d6Rh d6Rh, d6Rd d6Rd, or d6Ra d6Ra
- A second weapon system at the appropriate range adds 1 red 8-sided die. d8Rh, d8Rd, or d8Ra
- Each 1-shot rocket you're firing adds 1 red 8-sided die (at direct fire range only). d8Rr
- If your mobile frame has no direct fire or artillery weapon systems, add 1 green 8-sided die. d8G

Pick up the appropriate assortment of dice and roll them all at once.

As you defend, move, attack and spot, you'll assign your dice to those actions. The principle is this: blue to defend, green to move, red to attack, yellow to spot, and white are wild. You get to roll upfront, look at the numbers you've rolled, and decide where you'll swap in your white dice.

When you assign a die, you've used it up, you can't assign it again to another action. Once you've taken all four actions, discard all your leftover dice.

3. Defend
d6B or d6W

Assign a blue die or a white die to your defense. If you don't have any defensive systems, you didn't roll any blue dice, so choose a white die or forgo your defense.

Place a blue die on the battlefield next to the mobile frame, turned to your defense die. This is this mobile frame's defense for the entire round; you won't change it until next round.

If you assigned no die to defense, your defense is 0.

In combat order only: if you have an attack outstanding against you, resolve it now. Wait for your attacker to finish its turn before you continue yours.

4-5. Attack then move, or move then attack

You choose whether to attack before you move, or move before you attack.

When you move:
d6G, d8G or d6W

Assign a green die or a white die to your movement. If you didn't roll any green dice, choose a white die or forgo movement.

Move a number of ruler units equal to your movement die or less. If you assigned no die to movement, you can't move.

If you rolled any green dice, either for movement systems or the green 8-sided die you get for carrying no ranged weapons, you can pass through cover as though it weren't there. Otherwise, you have to go around it. Recall that any structure on the battlefield at least 3 bricks high counts as cover, including mobile frames, but excluding stations.

Recall also that if you declared an attack on a target out of range, you've got to cover that distance now or else forgo the attack.

When you attack:
d6Rh, d8Rh, d6Rd, d8Rd, d6Ra, d8Ra, d8Rr, or d6W

Is your target within the range you declared? If so, proceed with your attack. Otherwise, forgo your attack.

Assign a red die or a white die to your attack. If you don't have any weapon systems at the appropriate range, you didn't roll any red dice, so choose a white die or forgo your attack.

Does your target have a defense die already?
- If it does, resolve your attack now, against its standing defense, and continue with your turn.
- If it doesn't, switch now to combat order. Put your turn on hold here until your target has its defense die. Once it does, resolve your attack and continue with your turn.

If you are attacking a piece of cover, its defense is 0 and it is not in cover (even if there is cover available to it).

See Rules preview: when you come under attack for details about resolving attacks.

6. Spot
d6Y or d6W

Assign a yellow die or a white die to your spot. If don't have any surveillance/comms systems, you didn't roll any yellow dice, so choose a white die or forgo your spot.

Declare the mobile frame you're spotting. If you have no surveillance/comms systems, it must be both within direct fire range and out of cover to you. If you have one surveillance/comms system, it must be within direct fire range, but it can be in cover to you. If you have two surveillance/comms systems, it can be any mobile frame on the field.

Place a yellow die next to your spotting target, turned to your spot die.

Always spot after you've made and resolved your attack. You cannot spot first and follow it up with your own attack.

You can't spot terrain or stations.

7. Finally, seize stations.

If this mobile frame is the only mobile frame within hand to hand range of a station, it seizes it. Mark it as yours. The opponent you seized it from loses points for it, and you gain points for it, so both of you recalculate your initiative now.

The end of your turn.

Questions welcome!

-Vincent
lumpley
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Rules preview: your mobile frame's turn

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:51 pm

lumpley wrote:1. Name your target and range.

Name the target of your attack and the range you'll be attacking at.

You can name any target on the battlefield, but you can only declare a range at which you can actually carry out an attack. That is, you can't declare that you'll be attacking at artillery range if you have no artillery weapon systems, or at direct fire range if you have no direct fire weapon systems. You can always declare that you'll be attacking hand to hand, because you can carry out a hand to hand attack even unarmed.

Since you have the opportunity to move before you attack, you can name a target currently out of range. When the time comes, if you manage to cross the necessary distance, you carry out the attack, but if you fail to cross the distance, you forgo the attack.

Before anything else, please revisit this portion of the rules. What if I declare HtH as my range and fall 1 unit short, but I do have DF systems? I cannot, for the life of me, understand why any pilot would just say: "Meh. Didn't get there as fast as I thought, so, instead of shooting him, I'll just wait until I get there. He is like, 15 meters away, easy-peasy.". Same with the other way around. "I wanted to shoot him, but hey, he's right there in front of my charged-up hammer. Nah, I'mma just shoot him with the anti-personell MGs anyway."

This makes no sense, fluffwise or backgroundwise. Unless you construct some odd targetting system that cannot switch modes until it's actions triggered or aborted.

Please? :(
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby David Artman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:Before anything else, please revisit this portion of the rules.
I'm inclined, on first blush, to agree with Cedric. I'm OK with "declare target" as that could be reflecting target acquisition time, but not declaring range. I could maybe see HtH requiring an initial declaration, to reflect "equipping" the system or the "backswing" of a full-on HtH attack. But firing a projectile weapon is just pulling a trigger.

Unless every attack system is like the Wave Motion Gun, taking a long time to come to bear on target, charge up, and fire...?
David Artman
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Target declaration is fine, totally. All for it. But range choice should be made after movement. Everything else would just be totally opposing reallife application. No solider would throw a grenade at 20 yards, because that's what he decided upon when he started sprinting across the road, only to stumble, end up 5 yards short and not just throw the grenade at 25 yards but still at 20 yards.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ramcat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:28 pm

It has been stated but perhaps not in a 'rules preview'.

Damage does not take effect until after your turn.

Frame A targets Frame B, who has not moved. Frame B declares target and range (direct fire), rolles dice, declares defence. Frame A resolves attack removing Frame B's direct fire weapon (Frame B having choosen to remove that system). When Frame B resumes it's turn it still has a direct fire weapon (the dice it rolled at the beginning of it's turn), for this turn only. Because damage is applied after Step #7 (from above).

Is this correct?

Edit: Made clearer about defender choosing which system to loose.
Last edited by Ramcat on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:32 pm

If I am not mistaken, the defender picks the system that is affected, not the attacker.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ramcat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Yes, sorry I was not clear. Frame B decides to have it's direct fire system removed.
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Regardless of how the DF system got lost - your question is interesting. Curious to know myself now. :D
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Sorry, guys. You commit to range when you name your target, so that you know which dice to roll. Playtesting bears it out. Feel free to house rule it as you like, but I'd encourage you to play it straight a couple of times first to make sure you still think it's a problem.

I can talk about why it works this way if you want, but I'll be talking from the point of view of gameplay, not from the point of view of "what would really happen if mobile frames were real."

Ramcat: Right. The damage you take doesn't affect your capabilities this turn or the dice you've already rolled.

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:46 pm

lumpley wrote:I can talk about why it works this way if you want, but I'll be talking from the point of view of gameplay, not from the point of view of "what would really happen if mobile frames were real."

Colour me interested. I do have a hard time to .... accept a concept that is on the opposite side of logic, regardless if it works better on a gameplay-side of things. Call me stubborn if you like, but I would at least like to know. Range commitment seems like something I would have a hard time explaining to someone who knows nothing about MF0. Hell, I don't even get it. :D
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Ced23Ric: Sure.

Let's take your example up top: "What if I declare HtH as my range and fall 1 unit short, but I do have DF systems?"

If you have direct fire weapons, why did you declare hand to hand as your range? You knew that the safe bet would be to declare direct fire as your range. You knew that if you failed to get into hand to hand range, you'd lose your attack. So: if you'd wanted to do the safe thing, you would have declared direct fire as your range in the first place.

There must be a reason you declared hand to hand instead. The best reason I can think of is that your mobile frame's weapons look something like this: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh, d6Rd, & d6Ra. Declaring direct fire would be the safe thing, but you'd get only one red die for it, instead of the two + d8 you'll get for declaring hand to hand. Plus you want the better damage potential of the hand to hand attack.

In this case, you looked at the situation, looked at your capabilities and the possible benefits, and decided to take a risk. You knew you might not make it, and you decided to go for it anyway. And indeed, when you try something you might not be able to do, sometimes you fall just short.

You're never going to find yourself in this situation unwillingly or unknowingly. When you make an uncertain range declaration, you know you're taking a risk, and you're deciding to go ahead with it anyway. If you don't like it, don't do it.

-Vincent
Last edited by lumpley on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lumpley

Postby goldenmeanie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Think of it this way, your frame's entire turn takes place in a few seconds. Remember the OODA loop! The way we have to step through it make it seem like there's lots of time to consider and hedge but it's happening really fast. Imagine you are charging an opponent, fully committed with a sledgehammer all wound up... and you trip (you don't make your distance roll). There is a time-cost to getting oriented, unslinging a ranged weapon, and drawing a bead on your target. You are in a new loop.

EDIT: oops, too slow!

This HtH example has brought a question to mind: Can the defending frame just take a step back? It seems like you are always guaranteed at least a 1 for movement and so presuming that the defender has an action left HtH would be very easy to avoid. It's at the cost of wherever you were planning to go that turn, but it seems worth it to avoid d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh
goldenmeanie
Young Gun

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:36 pm

If you look here, you'll see that the defender doesn't get to move until after the attack's resolved and the attacker has finished its turn.

Or else this is a later attack, and the defender has already taken its whole turn.

So, either way, nope!

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby David Artman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 pm

lumpley wrote:...so that you know which dice to roll.
*slaps forehead* Of course it has to be that way. Doh!

Thanks for the reply, Vincent.
David Artman
Talkative

Postby benlehman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Huh. I always thought that, like with attack, you could choose to spot before or after your move. Is that a rules change or have I just been doing it wrong?
benlehman
Newcomer

Postby timonkey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:12 pm

lumpley wrote:Any structure on the battlefield is cover if it's 3 bricks or more high, except stations.

I've always felt weird about this. Everything is LEGO and can be destroyed except stations. I understand that for gameplay purposes, we probably don't want them to be able to be destroyed, but it just feels weird that stations don't grant cover.
timonkey
Chatty

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Sadly, the latter. Spot is always last.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby lumpley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Benlehman: In Mechaton of old, you could spot before you moved, so yeah, rule change.

Timonkey: That's one of those tradeoffs. It always feels weird if you guard a station by hiding behind it, too.

-Vincent
lumpley

Postby strongbif » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:21 pm

goldenmeanie wrote:Think of it this way, your frame's entire turn takes place in a few seconds. Remember the OODA loop! The way we have to step through it make it seem like there's lots of time to consider and hedge but it's happening really fast. Imagine you are charging an opponent, fully committed with a sledgehammer all wound up... and you trip (you don't make your distance roll). There is a time-cost to getting oriented, unslinging a ranged weapon, and drawing a bead on your target. You are in a new loop.

EDIT: oops, too slow!

@Ced23Ric if it helps, think of it as "your attack misses automatically" rather than "you forego your attack." Your guy assessed the situation, chose a target, it wasn't in range: he didn't just decide not to pull the trigger, he pulled the trigger while standing too close and his shot went wide or bounced off the opposing frame too soon before the explosive payload triggered, or whatever. Or maybe the weapon jammed, or he forgot to slam in a fresh clip, or his lasers overheated, or a squirrel jumped in the way. The hammer was swung, but missed by this much. That satisfies my fluff requirements. It's Clausewitz's friction.
I am shopping for bricks now.
strongbif
Newcomer

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:27 pm

strongbif wrote:... or a squirrel jumped in the way. It's Clausewitz's friction.
This. I am satisfied.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Next

Return to Rapid Attack