Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Depth (Underwater ver?)

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Intercept Orbit.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Depth (Underwater ver?)

Postby DestinyPlayer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:17 pm

So, due to my recent somewhat-obession with Subnautica, I've started thinking... How hard would it be to convert IO into ID, i.e. to place it underwater? Would probably make the ship size smaller, but in other aspects, I dunno, cause I wasn't really able to find a free PDF or whatever of MFZ:IO.
So, your thoughts?
DestinyPlayer
Young Gun

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Depth (Underwater ver?)

Postby gusindor » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:45 pm

It seems like IO basically treats space combat as a naval battle, so it should be a pretty easy conversion.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby HyveMynd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Just for anyone who couldn't find it, the link for downloading the latest version of the rules: http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/intercept-orbit-0-8/

That's the latest version of the rules (as far as I know).

As for turning Intercept Orbit into Intercept Depth, I don't think you'd have to make any changes at all. Other than cosmetic changes I mean. Just say everything is a submarine or a submersible craft.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Luke_BMM » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:28 am

Without any mechanical changes, I'd also make each frame squadron is a single frame with 4 systems instead. Just to accommodate the scale. That need not have any impact on the rules, however.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby pharaviel » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 am

Idea: you could make surface battles with boat and submersible. Weapon system could be different to attack surface and submersible defenders, or give a dice to the submarines to add as distance units.
pharaviel
Newcomer

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:14 am

I was about to decry the alteration of ranges and mechanics in IO, but perhaps this discussion is better suited to fan-created rules?
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 am

CmdrRook wrote:I was about to decry the alteration of ranges and mechanics in IO, but perhaps this discussion is better suited to fan-created rules?

Yes. Moved.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:25 pm

I doubt you want to get into surface vs. submersible. IO is planar despite being based in space. So are many other games. There's a good reason for it.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby DestinyPlayer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Hmm... I don't remember how do different weapon types work in IO, and I can't download the rules right now cause of the internet, but from what I remember, there's still difference between d6Ra and d6Rd .
So, maybe there are only two depths in Intercept Depth: Surface and Underwater. So, there could be a simple change. d6Ra works only across depth levels, and d6Rd works only within a single depth level, but otherwise they're the same, i.e. both work as a d6Rd .
And to change the depth level, the ship would have to spend a d6G .
Am I overcomplicating/messing up with the rules yet?
DestinyPlayer
Young Gun

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:36 pm

DestinyPlayer wrote:Hmm... I don't remember how do different weapon types work in IO, and I can't download the rules right now cause of the internet, but from what I remember, there's still difference between d6Ra and d6Rd .
So, maybe there are only two depths in Intercept Depth: Surface and Underwater. So, there could be a simple change. d6Ra works only across depth levels, and d6Rd works only within a single depth level, but otherwise they're the same, i.e. both work as a d6Rd .
And to change the depth level, the ship would have to spend a d6G .
Am I overcomplicating/messing up with the rules yet?

Now that it's in a sub-forum specifically geared towards allowing players to develop their own rules, you are free to complicate and mess around to your heart's content.

The difference between Support and Assault weapons in IO is range, still.

If you ask me, the best way to cover depth is as simply as possible. For example, I like the idea of separating your depth into two planes, Submerged and Surfaced. Perhaps Submerged craft always have Cover from Surface craft, but can not roll a d6G. Surfaced craft never benefit from Cover against Submerged craft, but may roll d6G.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 pm

One thing you might want to think about is the Inertia rule in IO since water has friction.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby DestinyPlayer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Mantisking wrote:One thing you might want to think about is the Inertia rule in IO since water has friction.

Yeah, I immediately started thinking of how I could possibly work it out when I've finally read the rulebook completely through. You could possibly just make the ruler not with equal parts, but with each one somewhat shorter, or something.
DestinyPlayer
Young Gun

Return to Fan Created Rules