Asteroids!

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Intercept Orbit.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Asteroids!

Postby Hackjob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Yep, like the classic arcade game.

Note that I have not played with this rule (yet), just presenting it for fun. Unless otherwise noted, all the normal rules for :IO are in effect, with some fun additions!

In the basic rules for :IO, you can collide with space debris and other ships. When you collide you: Roll a number of dice equal to the ships current speed (if it had moved its full distance). Each 1 or 2 damages the ramming ship, each 4, 5, or 6 damges the rammed object. Space debris is normally destroyed, or can be moved the same distance as the ship moved, and enemy ships are rotated by their opponent the number of clicks equal to the amount of damage they take. We are going to essentially treat space debris as ships and debris combined (Asteroids!).

For this mod we will increase the size of a basic piece of space debris (asteroids from now on) along with the base size to 8x8. We also are going to have them zooming about, so they need a "facing". In addition, space debris can be targeted at range similar to cover in MF0:RA, that is, it is damaged on any roll of 4, 5, or 6. During set-up place debris as normal with a marked facing and a starting speed of d6. Space debris that touches the edge of the board during play is removed.
The first damaging hit on an asteroid takes (from shooting or a collision) it break into two smaller (base size) 4x4 asteroids, placed 2 pips apart. These two asteroids now move seperatley with their facing starting the same as the original asteroid, but the player that damaged them can adjust their facing the number of clicks or increase/decrease their speed the nuber of units equal to the number of damaging hits remaining, divided among the two at their discretion. Optionally the damaging player can instead apply the remaining damaging hits to the smaller asteroids to destroy them.

When a 4x4 asteroid is damaged, it breaks into two 2x2 asteroids as outlined above. A 2x2 asteroid is destoyed when damaged. When two asteroids collide players take turns (in tactical order per hit) applying damage as they see fit.

I expect this will slow the game down a bit, since managing the asteroids will take a bunch of extra time. So I think it would be a good idea to limit the number of tactical assets to 3.

Lemme know what all ya MOF0's think!
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Asteroids!

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:28 am

That sounds deliciously chaotic!
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Fan Created Rules