[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Trundleball (v0.4)

Trundleball (v0.4)

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Re: Trundleball (v0.1)

Postby sBritcher » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:34 am

Once again, this is all AMAZING!

Also, I finally have a use for all of those eyes I have from the Mixel Polybags.
sBritcher
Chatty

Re: Trundleball (v0.2)

Postby Blorf » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:43 am

Updated to v0.2:
- Each team brings 3 goals regardless of number of teams. Arena size should be adjusted instead.
- Simplified and increased the viability of reaction.
- Added experimental automatic charging rule to prevent clustering
- Added area-effect charging to double-yellow
- Added multi-target benefit to double-red
- Clarified the behavior of goals with respect to movement and collision
- Clarified some rules without changing their intent

These fix some minor issues I found. Reaction basically did nothing useful so it wasn't worthwhile. Clustering made the game less interesting so I put some rules in place to penalize it (yet still make it more exciting should it happen). The number of goals in my test game was fine, but it needs to scale with the number of players and arena size.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:58 am

On thinking this over further, there's another rule I want to experiment with—all the goals being neutral and placed with terrain. This will also mean redeployed units can be placed anywhere, not just near their own goals.

I don't suppose anyone else has had a chance to give it a go?
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby FragsturBait » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:15 pm

The original Squib Science Syndicate Trundleball System Suit prototype, reappropriated by the .
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:40 pm

I think SSS is going to take some serious flak about concussions and player safety if that ever goes to production.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:46 am

I got a game in! It's fast-paced, strategic, (but not too much,) and basically every move is perilous. The game changes quickly and you have to make tough sacrifices. Above all I had great fun, so I'll definitely be playing and developing this more. There will be a few rule changes coming shortly, but for the most part it held up really well and was a blast to play.

I'd recommend anyone who wants to try this out to hold off until I put 0.3 up, but after that it's totally worth it. I got some action shots, too. So, more to come!
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: Trundleball (v0.3)

Postby Blorf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Updated to v0.3:
- Add 2 goals per team, but all goals are used equally by all players
- Goals are arranged before deployment phase
- Upgraded area-effect charging for double yellow
- Added double-green effects: stop momentum and interception
- Completely new turn order mechanic (bidding)
- Removed automatic charging
- Adjusted tournament overtime (play complete rounds)
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:26 pm

The inaugural Trundleball match is played! The Southport Strikers faced off against the Jakarta Propulsors in an exciting exhibition match.

The first quarter was fairly quiet as both teams stretched their legs after the long off-season. The Strikers managed to force one score but for the most part it was all jockeying for position. In the second, the action started heating up a little. The Strikers forced another goal, but the Propulsors answered back with two; both teams are tied going into the half: 2-2.

Both teams came out roaring and ready after halftime. The Propulsors fired off a huge double charge on a couple Strikers near a goal. The Strikers couldn't save both Trundles and the Propulsors forced a goal ...

The Propulsors blast the Strikers in for a goal.

See ya, sucker!

The Strikers shot back but had some difficulty connecting. The Propulsor's double-blue proved highly evasive on multiple attempts ...

The Strikers miss an opportunity on a high-reaction Propulsor.

But the quarter wasn't entirely lost ground; the Strikers forced a goal here ...

The Strikers strike back; it's a score!

And caused some panic on the Propulor team ...

An overturned Propulsor tries to regain its composure.

There was quite a bit more action, and in the end, the quarter closed with the Propulsors leading 4 to 5. In the 4th quarter, a strong bid by the Strikers turned the game in their favor. Dropping back in after being scored and using a high bid, a double-red Striker got into position and forced a double-play! The Propulsors had a few additional attempts but weren't able to capitalize as the Striker's momentum helped with heightened reaction times ...

Strikers return the favor on a near-miss for the boundary.

The game came to a close after the regulation 4th quarter:
Southport strikers: 5
Jakarta Propulsors: 6

The Strikers celebrate victory!!
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Mon May 11, 2015 10:40 am

Last edited by Cake on Mon May 11, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Mon May 11, 2015 10:44 am

You're correct, of course. Thanks. Fixed.

I've got a few tweaks and ideas, but mostly I'm waiting for another opportunity to playtest. Possibly next week.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: Trundleball (v0.4)

Postby Blorf » Sun May 17, 2015 9:03 am

Updated to v0.4:
- Clarified that deployment and play for round one use the same turn order.
- Double-greens can now activate out of turn as well as activate to intercept.
- Trundles re-entering the arena may change their loadout to anything they'd like.
- Defined an official bounding box for units. (4×4)
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon May 18, 2015 8:33 am

I played this weekend! Well, we got half a game in anyway—we had some other stuff to take care of in the evening and we played when there were breaks—we got two full rounds in.

First up, I thought people might be interested in seeing a Trundleball arena.

Our table happens to be a great size for 2 players. The table pretty much ends at each edge of the photo, and the four white pillars are goals. You can see that no position on the table is more than one ruler away from either a goal or an edge, and that's pretty important. There's no requirement for symmetry. The line of units up top are the scored frames, in the order they were knocked out.

As for the game:

Allowing a changing loadout for every re-entered unit makes it more fun. You get the unit you want where you want it! But at the same time, being able to use that unit means you'll need to bid higher, and bidding is dangerous.

I really liked the double-green units, even though I feel like I underused them. Since Trundleball allows you to add your rolls, this unit can really sail across the field into position. Of course, if you want to do that and still be useful, you pretty much have to skip out on having a reaction.

Double-red is pretty great now, too. The benefit is multi-target capability. Since you have to assign independent attacks you burn those dice quickly, but a double score is sweet.

Reaction may be getting reworked. Since there's no hidden information it mostly becomes "I'm getting attacked, what's the minimum I need to live?" It's not terrible, but something with more chance involved might be good. I also like the disorientation rules, but they're so easy to forget. There's more work to be done here.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Trokodile174 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:46 pm

I've seen this before, but I was going through looking for all majorly custom rules (i.e. Dogfight, Rooftop Racing, this) for other types of games playable with Frames and such and I decided to reread the rules and honestly this was a great idea. Based on my understanding, it's soccer but the players are the balls.(?) Now I want to get some of those inflatable hamster balls that people can fit inside and play this in real life. Because that would be awesome.
Check out for extra pics, building instructions, and more!

Maker of , the Battle Royale MF0 fan game
Trokodile174
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Previous

Return to Fan Created Rules