Discussion: Weight Classes.

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Re: Discussion: Weight Classes.

Postby VitorFaria » Fri May 12, 2017 11:55 am

CmdrRook wrote:Mfz is a game of objectives rather than attrition, and your flexibility in strategy as well as force capability plays an immense role in the outcome.

Great quote here.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: Discussion: Weight Classes.

Postby vonKobra » Fri May 12, 2017 12:56 pm

xTornOxysx wrote:I'd simply like to interject and say that this would make a 4 too likely I think. Fully 3 of the 6 possible results, result on a 4. How about if higher than 4, subtract 4. Or divide by two, round down. Or something similar.

Remember that a medium has the same 1/2 chance of rolling a 4 or better, just a higher cap, and given the math involved in attacking and moving in the game, a 6 is far better than a 4. I also think it makes sense thematically. A heavy mech can't dash but it can still trundle around fairly consistently, and a light has removed some level of outer plating for weight reduction, but it is still largely made of bullet resistant metal.

I don't necessarily think that level of consistency is bad. I think lowering the cap that a unit is capable of provides enough of a detriment to make up for gaining a d8. The other method I thought would work is 5s and 6s are rolled down two pips, still providing an upward consistency but providing additional player choices and pressure. After this the detrimental stat is 1/3 chance of a 3 and 1/3 chance of a four.

Finally I think there may be a need to split this off into a second thread. I love the discussion of weight classes we're having, but I think the battletech version of this is a different and more complex problem. I think they are two separate sets of fan rules and putting some of the earlier more complex attempts from this thread in the opening post of a second weight class thread where we can simply accept complexity as inevitable would be best. I would be happy to do create the second thread if anyone else would be interested in it.
vonKobra
Newcomer

Previous

Return to Fan Created Rules