Over sized frames

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Over sized frames

Postby McGruder » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:29 am

Fun thought for the idea of available systems, maybe over sized frames can have extra systems at the cost of those systems being accessible by other frames example being an over sized frame having 6 systems meaning 2 less available to the rest of the squad, seems like it would balance things out.
McGruder
Young Gun

Re: Over sized frames

Postby gusindor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:53 am

Hmm... that seems balanced at first glance, although there might be unexpected side-effects. Thematically though, I like the idea that an extra-big frame means a company has less resources for their other frames.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Sovietshadow » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:58 pm

Actually i've already tried it out. I was a little unclear of the rules at the time so i thought the systems were averaged... long story short i had one frame with 7 systems and 3 frames with 3 systems...
it sounded good in theory, but it turned out that the one frame was completely overpowered compared to the other frames.
You laugh at fate, and fate will laugh right back at you.
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby aurlaent » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:25 am

More than 4 systems on a frame would let you take advantage of double systems without the tradeoff of limitation in other areas.
Think about something like this: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B d6G d6Y d6W d6W !
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby xTornOxysx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:44 pm

My thought for oversized frames, was to just double everything. But that includes the count of Frames you actually field, meaning a company of '5' could be 3 standard frames and a Juggernaut (? Titan? Heavy? Assault? Whatever, I guess.) Which counts for 2 standard frames. So you'd have only 4 actual units taking the field for a company size of '5'. As if two frames were taking their turns at once, and treated as one for damage calculation and turns taken. Does that make sense?
This could be game breaking somehow, I'm not sure.

It could mount 8 total systems or just larger systems that count for 2 (or more) systems.
It would also get 4 white, standard.
xTornOxysx
Chatty

Postby Omega_Tahu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm

From what I've heard, messing with White Die is not a good idea.
The LF-D5 "Stub" is the top of the line in agriculture frames, designed to haul heavy farm equipment. It is also easy to repair, with standardized connections between all joints. Buy one today.

Also, it's also quite cute on the battlefield....
Omega_Tahu
Chatty

Postby Blorf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm

This change wouldn't be terrible, actually. I'm still not sure that makes it a good idea. With all those dice you're virtually guaranteed a 5+ on every system every roll. That sounds great, but you're giving up an entire turn every round to do it. That's going to amount to roughly 20% less spotting, station capture, and shooting, without the typical trade-off of a higher score. Sounds like it would end up being a liability.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby xTornOxysx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Honestly yea, I feel like I had this problem in Mech Commander 2.

Fielding 8+ Anibus rocking double clan long-range missiles and a medium range PPE was better than pretty much anything else, plus those little guys came with radar, always turned out easier, and faster than throwing 2 or even 3 Assault class mechs into the map. Death by a thousand cuts. Plus, it was easier to split focus, because you just had so many more options. Send 3 Anubis here and 4 there? Ok! Or split up your two Atlas? No, cuz they'll get flanked in a heartbeat.
Be the swarmer, not the swarmed.

So maybe we should accept that the rules are balanced too well to mess with the way we want to all the time.

Additionally this may be of use; viewtopic.php?f=33&t=597

Maybe all 'weight class rule mods' could be its own section? There seem to be a number of them...
xTornOxysx
Chatty

Return to Fan Created Rules