Common questions

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Common questions

Postby Blorf » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:17 pm

When you play a game, what do you have to explain most often?
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: Common questions

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 pm

My model of demoing consists of explaining the basics about the systems and colored dice, then starting the game, leaving the initiative and combat to be explained as we play.

Why? It's almost useless to try to explain the activation orders and etc without an example to illustrate them. At least I always seem to fail when I try.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 pm

In the few games I've played/demoed, the most common question that pops up regards systems and their dice. A lot of brand new players often ask if a frame without a movement system is allowed to move at all (Same with defense, spot ect). I explain about the role of the 2 white dice, but too often it gets confusing to newer players.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:13 am

I must preface my input with a disclaimer: these are questions that I usually get asked only once by new players almost every time I teach the game, but the volume of demos I have given definitely paints a clear pattern. Different folks ask different combinations of these questions, some ask all, but everyone asks at least some. Trying to preempt the questions varies between helpful and tedious, depending on the level of wargaming experience they have.

"Do I add the attack dice together? Can a frame attack something out of its line of sight? Can a frame attack with more than one weapon range a turn? Can a frame move after its attack? Can a frame spot its own attack? Can I use a spot that an opponent placed on a frame? Does a frame's defense go away when it's attacked? What happens if a frame without defense is attacked? Does my frame keep it's defense die if its defense system is destroyed? Can a frame take cover behind a station? Can a frame take cover behind a frame? Is the green d8 a system? Where do I measure from on a frame?"

A related topic: things people assume incorrectly but don't necessarily ask. This can lead to players feeling like they've been unfairly handicapped if they act upon them, hurting their initial impression of the game. As such, I try to preempt these issues every time I demo, but it doesn't always stick. There's a lot of info to throw at a person, as Vitor mentioned, and people will have to learn by doing most things.

*I don't need to choose my target before I roll my dice pool. A frame can only spot its attack target. A frame can't target cover. There is no way to mitigate damage while within 1 segment of a station I control.*

When I demo, I don't participate in the game itself, opting to fill the table with new players. This keeps them from inadvertantly following my lead as I sandbag for them, learning bad habits, and allows me to focus on conveying the game properly and accurately addressing their questions. It also encourages them to be more forthcoming with questions, because they aren't asking their opponent for help. Even so, I avoid guiding their strategy and choices. I'll illuminate their options if they seem stuck, but they are free to make their own choices.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am

Thank you! You might have guessed that I'm improving the rules reference in the Handbook. My goal is to have the first error-free reference, (MFZ:Condensed was very close but didn't quite get there,) but also the most easily understood and most user-friendly. If I succeed, the answer to any rules question will take only seconds to find.

CmdrRook wrote:A related topic: things people assume incorrectly but don't necessarily ask.

This was extremely useful. Anyone else who has thoughts along these lines is encouraged to include it in this thread as well.

------------

This thread is about collecting information on what questions get asked and isn't meant to answer frequent questions. Please do not ask game questions here.
But for the benefit of anyone finding this thread by search:

Do I add the attack dice together? = No
Can a frame attack something out of its line of sight? = Yes, if it's in range
Can a frame attack with more than one weapon range a turn? = No
Can a frame move after its attack? = Yes, if you haven't already
Can a frame spot its own attack? = No, spotting is always the last step
Can I use a spot that an opponent placed on a frame? = Yes
Does a frame's defense go away when it's attacked? = No, it is only cleared at the end of the round
What happens if a frame without defense is attacked? = If it hasn't activated yet, it activates now. If it has, its defense is zero.
Does my frame keep it's defense die if its defense system is destroyed? = Yes
Can a frame take cover behind a station? = No
Can a frame take cover behind a frame? = Yes
Is the green d8 a system? = No
Where do I measure from on a frame? = The nearest point to its destination/target (though often house-ruled to exclude attachments)

Regarding assumptions:
You need to choose a target before you roll.
You may spot a frame you did not attack.
You may target cover.
You may move outside holding range of a station you control to avoid 1 damage point.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Return to Rapid Attack