A pile of newbie questions

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

A pile of newbie questions

Postby Roland the Barbarian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:35 am

Hi folks,

Recently started playing this game and enthusiastically spent the better part of two days building a dozen frames from me and my brother's old lego collection. Having played my first game recently, a number of issues came up that we didn't know how to resolve. Of course, we just called something and kept playing, but I wonder if there's an 'official' consensus to them:

1. On taking damage, the rulebook says:
Taking damage doesn’t affect the dice you’ve already rolled unless the frame is destroyed. They’re yours to use until the end of this mobile frame’s turn.

Are frames still considered to have their destroyed systems for all purposes, or just for dice? For instance, can a frame whose gun was just destroyed still shoot, and can a frame whose spotting system was just destroyed still spot through cover?

2. If a frame is firing a single-shot missile -and only a single-shot missile-, can it swap in one of its' white dice for the attack roll?

3. I think I know this one by RAW, but to be certain:
If you have any movement systems or if you rolled the green 8-sided die for carrying no ranged weapons, you can pass through cover as though it weren’t there. Otherwise, you have to go around it.

This means you can move through cover even when using a white die, right?

4. You can avoid a point of damage by moving a ruler unit directly away from a station. What (apart from the very real and justified threat of losing friends) is stopping me from positioning my stations in such a way that moving away from a station carries me into range of another one, allowing me to 'bounce' back and forth preventing all damage?

Thanks in advance!
- Roland the Barbarian
"So in the end, the whole game comes down to whether or not I make this 4+ roll."
- Me, somehow in at least half the games I play
Roland the Barbarian
Newcomer

Re: A pile of newbie questions

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 am

Hi, welcome to the Hangar!

1. You can use all the dice you already rolled in the turn. I believe the idea is that the frame shot already, you're just resolving the shot.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. As long you have the green dice you can swap the white and move the same way.

4. Good question, having stations that close together is usually bad practice so it never came up in my games. I assume fair play would make you move the frame away from all stations.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Roland the Barbarian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the rapid response!

Regarding 4: we just ruled a frame could only prevent a single point of damage each shot (which I think is RAI, looking at the wording). Even then it's still quite powerful, so I think it's better to just disallow stations being placed within three units of one another (or to just be a good sport about it, but that goes for everything).
"So in the end, the whole game comes down to whether or not I make this 4+ roll."
- Me, somehow in at least half the games I play
Roland the Barbarian
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Roland the Barbarian wrote:Thanks for the rapid response!

Regarding 4: we just ruled a frame could only prevent a single point of damage each shot (which I think is RAI, looking at the wording). Even then it's still quite powerful, so I think it's better to just disallow stations being placed within three units of one another (or to just be a good sport about it, but that goes for everything).

There are times when you only have one Station, so this situation may not come up that often. Also, keep in mind that if you can bounce between Stations like that, then it's easy for an opponent to capture them.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Rapid Attack