Different ruler sizes

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Different ruler sizes

Postby Hackjob » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:27 pm

I have noticed people mentioning playing with a lack of space a few times and wanted to share my thoughts on the ruler. The rulebook suggests shortening Direct Fire by two units if you need to play on a smaller area. This doesn't really make sense to me, as it messes with the basic range ratio relationship between the different ranges and movement. On a standard sized MF0 board with a 6 ruler length diameter using a standard 8 unit long ruler, there are some interesting "spheres of influence" between the ranges. To keep things less complicated I'm ignoring the size of the frame in these examples.

The "threat area" of Hand to Hand vs Direct Fire =1/8
The "threat area" of Direct Fire vs Artillery =1/6
The "threat area" of Hand to Hand vs Artillery =1/48

When you shorten Direct Fire by 2 units you get these ratios:
Hand to Hand vs Direct =1/6
Direct vs Artillery =1/6
Hand to Hand vs Artillery =1/36

As you can see, this change makes Hand to Hand significantly more effective at the expense of Direct fire. Direct Fire now covers 25% less area. Also, a frame with d8G can theoretically run "faster than a speeding bullet".

Instead I propose shortening the ruler units by 1 pip, from 5 to 4. After all, the rules suggest lengthening the ruler units by 1 or 2 if you have a larger playing area. The total length of the standard ruler is eight 5 pip long units, 40 pips. Shortening the ruler to 6 units makes it 30 pips long. A ruler using eight 4 pip units is 32 pips long, only 2 longer than the suggested 6 unit short ruler. So in a 6 ruler length diameter table, a full (eight units long) 4 pip ruler is only 12 pips longer (about 3+3/4 inches) than the suggested short 6 unit standard ruler. So you could use the 4 pip ruler without needing any more space than the suggested short (5x6) ruler.

I have not played with the suggested "short" ruler. I have used a 4 pip ruler in a game with regular (Chub sized) frames and didn't notice any difference in play results. I recommend anyone with a shortage of space give a 4 pip ruler a try.
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Different ruler sizes

Postby gusindor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:51 pm

A shorter-segmented ruler would still have the problem of direct fire covering less space relative to artillery.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Hackjob » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:01 am

I'm not sure why you think that. The idea is to have the table size be 6 ruler lengths, which should keep the ratios the same for Direct/Artillery. Did I mess up somewhere?
-Hackjob

Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:45 pm

Hackjob wrote:I'm not sure why you think that. The idea is to have the table size be 6 ruler lengths, which should keep the ratios the same for Direct/Artillery. Did I mess up somewhere?

Oh right, I somehow forgot the effect of a smaller table on artillery. *facepalm*
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Xero010 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:52 am

gusindor wrote:
Hackjob wrote:I'm not sure why you think that. The idea is to have the table size be 6 ruler lengths, which should keep the ratios the same for Direct/Artillery. Did I mess up somewhere?

Oh right, I somehow forgot the effect of a smaller table on artillery. *facepalm*

THAT'S what was bugging me about this! I kept imagining scenarios with ridiculously large tables, thus meaning artillery had no range limit. So with this new ruler, are you intending to keep the ratios the same as with the standard ruler? Maybe I'm imagining this wrong, but it feels like the HtH relationship with direct fire should always benefit more on a smaller area.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
HexTech Corp by Xero908, on Flickr
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hackjob » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:27 am

Yeah the whole idea is to keep all the range ratios the same as they would be with a regular sized ruler (8 units of 5 pips each) on a standard board (6 ruler lenghts diameter).
Okay, I realize now the recommended board is actually 4-6 ruler lenghts, so perhaps I should redo the above ratios with 5 ruler lenghts as the average table diameter, for now I'm keeping it the same for easier comparison.

Some more numbers to help describe it I hope:

Regular ruler and table-
1 standard ruler 40 pips x 6 ruler lengths =240 pip table diameter.
" 40 pips x 5 ruler lenghts =200 pip diameter
" 40 pips x 4 ruler lenghts =160 pip diameter

A regular ruler measeres about 12.5 inches, so a standard table would need to be about 4 to 6 feet in diameter.

4 pip ruler and 6 ruler table-
32 pips x 6 ruler lenghts = 192 pip table diameter.

A 4 pip x 8 unit ruler measures about 10 inches, so a "4 pip" table would need to be about 4 to 5 feet in diameter.

As you can see, a using a 4 pip ruler allows you to play a battle using 6 ruler lenghts as the diameter, on a board about the same size as a "full sized" 5 ruler diameter table.

Also note that using a smaller ruler unit does increase the effective HtH range if frames stay the same size, more noticable with larger frames and quads. However I think it is a less significant change than the effect of changing the range ratios by shortening direct fire to 6 units.

Again, I have played with a 4 pip ruler and did not notice any changes in gameplay.
Hope that clears it up little and I'm helping out any folks looking to play on a smaller area. :)
-Hackjob

Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jagarmot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Bouncing back on this topic : I just stumbled upon this Chima set : 70100 which conveniently includes 8 Hinge Brick 1 x 4.
I'll keep my eyes open to get one for cheap...

Do you guys know any other good set/opportunity to get a real Lego/MFZ ruler ?
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:45 pm

"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:43 pm

My ruler is from 70100 =p
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Rapid Attack