Capturing on The Move?

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Capturing on The Move?

Postby malde37 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:41 am

This was a discussed discrepancy during my last game. We agreed that it was pretty clear that if we were capturing an enemy station by means of destroying an enemy or having one move away, that we had to be stationary (No pun in ten did). The confusion comes when we had a neutral station, and I wanted to capture it while moving. The rule book says "get one or more of your
mobile frames within hand to hand
range of the station while no other player
has a mobile frame of their own within hand
to hand range of it. This can happen during
any mobile frame’s turn"

So, if it is my turn, and I move within hand to hand range of this neutral unclaimed station, I get it, right? The discussion included how you can't move, attack, move, but is capturing a station an action like that? Run by, shout " tag, it's mine" and keep moving? Or is it an action that needs a turn? We decided to be consistent and rule that I would have to stop to claim the station, in the end. Just something I would like clarification on.

What do you guys think?
My blog, Hangar 21
{The following statement is true:The previous statement is false}
malde37
Newcomer

Re: Capturing on The Move?

Postby Cake » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:48 am

malde37 wrote:We decided to be consistent and rule that I would have to stop to claim the station, in the end.

This (quoted) is how I interpreted station claiming would take place, and is how I've played it (it's been a while since I've had a game :( )
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.4.0) Version 0.5.0 coming soon, with some big changes.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:59 am

malde37 wrote:We decided to be consistent and rule that I would have to stop to claim the station, in the end.
Cake wrote:This (quoted) is how I interpreted station claiming would take place, and is how I've played it (it's been a while since I've had a game :( )

That's how we play too. I think there's a mention in the old Mechaton rules that you had to stop on the Station to claim it.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Just below that, it says:
On your own frame's turn, when your opponent has left the station unguarded, and you move one of your mobile frames into hand to hand range of it

I'm in line with the others here. I believe 'move into' is interpreted as 'move into and stop' and not 'move into or through'.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:34 pm

Up to this point, I haven't encountered a situation where I wouldn't have been served better by stopping within 1 of the station, but I see no distinct reason that "drive-by-capture" wouldn't work. Capturing and then subsequently abandoning a neutral station is an invitation to cause a point swing instead of a point gain, wherein you lose points and your opponent gains them, but the end result is the same as if you hadn't captured at all. The one benefit is the potential initiative gain, and without supporting your aquisition, even that will be short-lived.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:22 pm

CmdrRook wrote:Up to this point, I haven't encountered a situation where I wouldn't have been served better by stopping within 1 of the station.

I have. I deployed a station away from my forces along the route I intended to take. The strategy was to clear the area as I moved through it toward the intended target. I wasn't specifically stopping for the station but incidentally recapturing it as I moved past. With a large force moving through, (I think it was 4 frames in a tight group supported by 2 artillery,) I'd cleared out all opposition for that station ahead of me on the way and there was nobody where I came from to fill the hole behind. Not having to stop to recapture it would have improved the speed of the advance as well as improved attack capability by allowing me to position a frame based more on range to the next target, and kept me in cover as the station had none. The gain seems rather small, but this is definitely a game where a single activation can make the difference when it finally comes to doomsday. I didn't win that game.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Visitor247 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:56 am

We had that situation in our last game.
One of my Frames declared a H2H attack. While moving into that H2H Combat it came by an unoccupied station.

We looked up the (condensed) rules:
Code: Select all
At any time and for any reason, you gain control of a station when:
• You have a frame within 1 unit of the station and
• No other players have a frame within 1 unit of that station.

To us the "At any time and for any reason" made it clear, that it can happen on the move.
Visitor247
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:15 pm

"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cake » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:06 am

Shades_Corvid wrote:Let's see if this works.

It does :)

It's still been far too long since I had a game, though... :(
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.4.0) Version 0.5.0 coming soon, with some big changes.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:51 am

Visitor247 wrote:We looked up the (condensed) rules:
To us the "At any time and for any reason" made it clear, that it can happen on the move.

Keep in mind that condensed is not an official rule set. It's meant to simplify.
Blorf
Mod Team

Return to Rapid Attack