Spotting in HtH

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Spotting in HtH

Postby jwhite10394 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:22 am

I've got a couple questions that I'm hoping can be answered.

1st: Can you spot a frame in HtH range?
2nd: Can you spot a frame in HtH over cover with white dice?
jwhite10394
Newcomer

Re: Spotting in HtH

Postby Blorf » Wed May 27, 2015 11:37 am

1: Yes. Weapon ranges are exclusive, but range for spotting is inclusive.

2: A frame can spot a unit in cover if it carries at least one yellow system. You may not spot a unit in cover if your frame carries no spotting systems. You can use white dice for anything your frame is already capable of.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby jwhite10394 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:04 pm

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I haven't even played a game yet or built frame, but I'm getting some Legos tomorrow so I'm pretty excited.
jwhite10394
Newcomer

Postby greypilgrim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:48 pm

jwhite: tip for building frames:
Look up some of the basic joints people use and then that opens up a lot more possibilities for you. Also consider buying individual pneumatic-T's, travis bricks, and 1x1 clips from bricklink.com or the lego store. I found it was almost impossible to build joints and limbs without first learning what other people commonly do. (Hint: bars + clips make things simple and easy) you can also buy a handful of mixel sets. Those have tiny ball joints in them and are available anywhere they sell Legos.
greypilgrim
Young Gun

Postby jwhite10394 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:29 am

What are mixels called on bricklink?
jwhite10394
Newcomer

Postby gusindor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:50 am

jwhite10394 wrote:What are mixels called on bricklink?

They all have individual names. If you go to the catalog, set the item type to "Sets" and the category to "Mixels", you'll see all of them. Most of the small ball and socket pieces (often called "Mixel joints") show up if you search "towball".
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby jwhite10394 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:38 pm

Sweet! Thanks! I'm gathering Legos for my son (he was born last week. I know, it'll be a while before he can play with them) and I'll be sure to include some of those little guys in the collection.
jwhite10394
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Congratulations!
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby jwhite10394 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Blorf wrote:Congratulations!

Thanks!
jwhite10394
Newcomer

Postby EdFadigan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:06 am

jwhite10394 wrote:I've got a couple questions that I'm hoping can be answered.
2nd: Can you spot a frame in HtH over cover with white dice?

I was under the impression, that a Frame's status as "In Cover" was always judged relative to the Frame acting as the "Spotter".

For instance, if a target was within Direct Fire range from my Spotter, and a piece of Terrain was within HtH of the Target, then that Frame would be "In Cover", and I'd be unable to Spot it with a White Die.
BUT - If I was Flanking that Target, and the Terrain was NOT between the Target and myself, then I WOULD be able to use the White Die, because the Target is not "In Cover", relative to ME (The Flanking Spotter).

If the above is true, then NO Target has Cover, if the Spotter is in HtH Range of the Target, at the time of the Spot.

Am I misunderstanding this rule?
EdFadigan
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:39 am

Your quoting a question so I am not sure what your getting at?
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:50 pm

EdFadigan wrote:If the above is true, then NO Target has Cover, if the Spotter is in HtH Range of the Target, at the time of the Spot.
Am I misunderstanding this rule?

You've almost got it, but you're off on a subtle point.
p118: "a mobile frame is in cover against an attacker if it is within hand to hand range of terrain or a structure on the battlefield that is between it and its attacker, in whole or in part."
p119: "Hand to hand attacks ignore cover."

The effect is that while you never consider cover for making an attack, you do still need to consider cover for spotting. The frame isn't simply out of cover once you're in HtH range.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby EdFadigan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:32 am

That makes sense, and is exactly how I'll explain it to my group, when it comes up.

1) The Frame IS in cover, but HtH ignores cover.
2) Spotting considers all cover, even the cover that HtH ignores.

If I were to flank the target, so that the cover was NOT between the target and myself, I could then Spot the target, at the end of the turn?

a) Attack HtH over a 3b high wall.
b) After the attack, use my movement to jump over wall, or move around the wall.
c) Spot the target.
d) Profit?
EdFadigan
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:37 am

EdFadigan wrote:If I were to flank the target, so that the cover was NOT between the target and myself, I could then Spot the target, at the end of the turn?

Yes.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:53 am

EdFadigan wrote:If I were to flank the target ... I could then Spot the target at the end of the turn?

To clarify further, you may ONLY Spot at the end of a Frame's activation, not during. This gets hand-wavy with some players who are spotting Frames they aren't Attacking, but the order of operations still specifically calls for Spot numbers to be placed as a Frame's final action, after Defense, Movement, and Attacks.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Fr33land » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:37 pm

Does spot lower an enemy frame's defense when it is attacked in HtH? Presume it has been spotted down, then another frame engages is in HtH.
Fr33land
Young Gun

Postby CmdrRook » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Fr33land wrote:Does spot lower an enemy frame's defense when it is attacked in HtH? Presume it has been spotted down, then another frame engages is in HtH.

Yes, spot applies to the next valid attack against the target, regardless of range type.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:11 am

Fr33land wrote:Does spot lower an enemy frame's defense when it is attacked in HtH? Presume it has been spotted down, then another frame engages is in HtH.

but it doesn't lower defenses, it adds to the attack roll.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Rapid Attack