MFZ:Condensed - A 20 pages rules summary for MFZ:RA

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: MFZ:Condensed - A 20 pages rules summary for MFZ:RA

Postby Blorf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:31 pm

True it would be very tall, but consider that frame height doesn't factor into the rules at all. A piece could be several dozen bricks tall and not change the gameplay. The exception here is if you play with terrain that frames could go underneath. In that case, added height is a liability—you're just limiting your own options.

Mostly what you get by building taller is the opportunity to constantly reset the stuff it knocks out of place every time it falls over.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:07 am

Jhokalups wrote:Should this read plates? I mean it's technically true, but that seems like a very very tall robot.

Yupp, bricks. You will find most 'frames at around 7 to 10 bricks, but some go over that. The arbitrary recommended sizebox is 12 bricks tall. It does make for a quite lanky frame though, yeah.

I'll probably release a new version today that is text only without any images. Just gotta do some editing (format only, no changes to the text) first. I heard someone request that, and since the version with art will easily go past 20 MB, that'll be that.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Blorf » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:17 am

That would be me. Load/seek time is important on phones and the MFZ Official book PDF is really poor in that regard.

If you're specifically reformatting it to be phone-friendly, can you do that version as one column, with a narrow enough line length to facilitate easy reading at a zoom that eliminates horizontal scrolling?
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Blorf wrote:If you're specifically reformatting it to be phone-friendly, can you do that version as one column, with a narrow enough line length to facilitate easy reading at a zoom that eliminates horizontal scrolling?

I think I can do that. Blow up the text by 50%, remove all columns. That should do the trick.

I might make that a third version, though. MFZ:Condensed Mobile. ;)
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Mauler5000 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 am

Just wanted to say thanks for this PDF. It works great on my iPad mini, and makes it so much easier to find a ruling. The part where it explains the deployment helped me a lot. My friends and I skipped that portion of the rules before, just placing frames and stations wherever.
Mauler5000
Newcomer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:13 pm

The justification isn't the problem, nor is the kerning. It's that you have half as many characters per line as the US newspaper minimum of 60. If you take out the vertical line down the center, you'll find that there's less tension on the page and you'll be able to reduce the font size a bit to get more characters on each line. You'll discover simultaneously that you can turn off hyphenation, which, particularly in so narrow a column, makes reading really difficult.

You can also turn the page horizontal, if you like, which will help a lot on this regard.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:It's that you have half as many characters per line as the US newspaper minimum of 60.

How does that translate to German DIN A4 normed paper?
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Soren » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:It's that you have half as many characters per line as the US newspaper minimum of 60.

How does that translate to German DIN A4 normed paper?

It's not a direct sizing, he's talking about line length. For ease of reading, you want individual lines of text on the page to be only so many characters long. 66 characters is considered optimal, but anything from 45 to 75 is acceptable (that's out of Bringhurst's Elements of Typographic Style). So it's a relative measurement, depending on the size of your type.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Blorf » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Well if we're getting technical, it's the word spacing I have a problem with, not the kerning (which I referenced only in relation to the xkcd quote). Poor word spacing and full justification go hand in hand. Hyphenation, done well, doesn't bother me. In full justify situations it's often necessary if you don't want awful rivers and awkward lines.

Totally agree on following Bringhurst, and the vertical rule suggestion is solid also.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 am

The word spacing issue is due to the short line length.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Blorf » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:53 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:The word spacing issue is due to the short line length.

Short line length and full justification used together create the problem. I'm all for using an optimal readable line length, but it requires changing the whole document's format. That might not be an insignificant amount of work for someone not used to setting type all day. Left alignment is the path of least resistance, in case Ced wants to spend more time on getting the rules right and less on listening to graphic designers prattle on about spacing. :)
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 am

With the release of MFZ:RA Commander's Handbook, I think the need for a specifically formatted mobile version of Condensed is now less than before. Certainly continue if you think it's of value to the community, but I think the 'phone-based reference' use case is now covered. Might make your life a little simpler.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby kc2dpt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:48 am

I know I'm late to the party, but played my first game last night and depended entirely on the condensed rules. There needs to be a bit about clearing all the blue and yellow dice at the end of the turn. Thanks.
kc2dpt
Chatty

Postby greypilgrim » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Link is broken. Can you repost?
greypilgrim
Young Gun

Postby Mantisking » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:43 pm

greypilgrim wrote:Link is broken. Can you repost?

Try this one, Version 0.96.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Previous

Return to Rapid Attack