Tactical vs Combat Order

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Tactical vs Combat Order

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:41 pm

I just want to make sure this is in my head right.

Combat Order is only when another frame is activated by another frame's attack

Tactical Order Restarts at the end of Every Combat Order

So if you move your frame, but doesn't attack another frame then players stay in regular Tactical Order for pass or play.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Tactical vs Combat Order

Postby grafvonbarnez » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Yup, you've got it. It goes: one frame attacks a frame that hasn't acted, the frame it attacks activates to get an armor value, the frame that attacked rolls damage, the frame that attacked finishes it's activation, the frame that was attacked declares its attack, and the process repeats. Once the last frame to be attacked doesn't attack a frame that hasn't activated, you go back to the player with the highest score in tactical order. (Tactical order may have changed because of the results of the attacks)
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby Cypherxv » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 am

In that case when the other frame becomes active due to an attack does the attacked frame have to attack back the frame that attacked it in the first place? Can the attacked frame target another frame instead?
Cypherxv
Young Gun

Postby grafvonbarnez » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:14 am

Nope! The rest of the attacked frame's turn (after the attacking frame finishes it's own activation) goes just like if it was activated in tactical order. You can have an attack go like this:
Defender frame 1 attacks Point Attacker frame 1
Point Attacker frame one activates, attacks Defender frame 2
Defender frame 2 activates, attacks Non-Point Attacker frame 1
Non-Point Attacker frame 1 activates, attacks Defender frame 3
Defender frame 3 activates, attacks Point Attacker frame 2
Point Attacker frame 2 activates, attacks Defender frame 1

At this point, Defender frame 1 has already activated, so the attack roll is simply resolved versus its established defense value. After this, the turn resumes tactical order rather than combat order.
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby Cypherxv » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:54 am

So after all those attacts have been resolved it goes back to the player that controls frame 1? If so does everybody count their assets right after he/she regains tactical order?
Cypherxv
Young Gun

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:13 am

After combat order is resolved. The player with the highest score goes next (tactical order). This may or may not be the same player as before the combat order chain was resolved due to destroyed frames or captured stations.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Cypherxv » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Ok I seem to get it now. Thank you.
Cypherxv
Young Gun

Postby Cypherxv » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:40 am

If a frame already has 4 systems, can it still take the one shot missile? When the defender has to roll for defence does the defender roll all his systems or just the blue an whit dice where appropriate?
Cypherxv
Young Gun

Postby Dukayn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:14 am

Cypherxv wrote:If a frame already has 4 systems, can it still take the one shot missile?

Yes. SSRs don't count as a system.

Cypherxv wrote:When the defender has to roll for defence does the defender roll all his systems or just the blue an whit dice where appropriate?

You roll all dice at once, but only assign your d6B
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:33 am

Dukayn wrote:You roll all dice at once, but only assign your d6B

I'm pretty sire you assign everything, not just your defense. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really change anything anyways.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Batzorig » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm

MittenNinja wrote:
Dukayn wrote:You roll all dice at once, but only assign your d6B

I'm pretty sire you assign everything, not just your defense. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really change anything anyways.

The rules only specify assigning a defense value when you are forced to roll out of tactical order, and then once it becomes your turn, you resolve the rest of the turn. This is also how it's described in the example of play in the book.
Batzorig
Chatty

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Well, then I've been doing that wrong. At least it doesn't really change anything.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Batzorig » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:40 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Well, then I've been doing that wrong. At least it doesn't really change anything.

Yeah, I could only see it changing a few situational things. Off the top of my head, if you were planning to move a small amount and then shoot hard at a target, but took a ton of damage from an enemy before you could and wanted to run away fast insteda of stay and fight, you have that flexibility.
Batzorig
Chatty

Postby Dukayn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Yeah, assigning stuff apart from d6B doesn't happen until you're actually having the rest of that frame's turn. I guess it allows for adjusting what you might have assigned depending on what happened in the meantime.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 pm

You still do have to declare your target and what range band you're using though, since that has to be done before you roll.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 pm

MittenNinja wrote:You still do have to declare your target and what range band you're using though, since that has to be done before you roll.

Yeah, you do still do that.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 pm

If I understand the rules, you really don't assign anything until you need to ie attacking. I can roll, move and decide not to put in an attack value because I rolled 2s for my d6Ra and 1s for my d6W and the target has no d6Y so why give him a turn right this moment.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:13 am

Sort of, yeah. If you're activating a frame via initiative order, then when you roll your dice, you assign everything. You can choose not to assign dice (like in your example, not wanting to give away an activation when you have crappy hit dice) but you do still do the "assign all dice" step.

If you've been activated from an attack, you roll all dice and assign d6B . Then when it comes back to that frame's turn, you assign the rest as above.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Hackjob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 am

During combat order, can the spot dice from a frame that has completed it's action be used by a frame further down the line? Example: I fire my frame A1 at my opponents frame B, they then fire on my frame A2. After all defence dice are assigned, A1 shoots B and lays a spot on B, B shoots at A2 and spots another target, can A2 use the spot from A1? Or are the spots only available during the next "tactical" turn?

-Hackjob
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:32 am

Yes. Once a Spot is attributed to a target, it stays in play until someone attacks that target or until the round ends and all dice are removed from the field.
Last edited by spacemonkey on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Rapid Attack