Spotting and LoS

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Spotting and LoS

Postby Blorf » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 pm

It's the attacker's choice, but if the selected cover is destroyed any remaining damage dice apply to the next cover instead of immediately transferring to the target because the target is still in cover.

I'll assume the attacker wants to destroy the terrain and not the covering frame. The attacker rolls 4, 5, 5 for damage. The terrain takes two hits and is reduced below 3 bricks high, so a 4 and 5 are resolved. The last 5 then applies to the covering frame.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:30 am

Blorf wrote:It's the attacker's choice, but if the selected cover is destroyed any remaining damage dice apply to the next cover instead of immediately transferring to the target because the target is still in cover.

I'll assume the attacker wants to destroy the terrain and not the covering frame. The attacker rolls 4, 5, 5 for damage. The terrain takes two hits and is reduced below 3 bricks high, so a 4 and 5 are resolved. The last 5 then applies to the covering frame.

While that's how I have played it up to recently, at Topatocon in MA where Mantis and I were running demos, Joshua chimed in that neither was the case. Two frames were engaged in hth on either side of a wall and a third frame was firing past one at the other. Joshua corrected me when I suggested they use the frame as cover because it threatened their opponent and they could still fall back on the wall for protection. In his words,"you can only be behind one piece of cover at a time," and that the wall was their only option.

I didn't feel like arguing my case, and things were too hectic to follow up on afterwards, but some clarification is obviously needed, as the answer may not be as simple as it seems.

Edit: Blorf is on to something, I think. I just read "attackers choice" as "defenders choice" about a half dozen times.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:57 am

CmdrRook wrote:While that's how I have played it up to recently, at Topatocon in MA where Mantis and I were running demos, Joshua chimed in that neither was the case. Two frames were engaged in hth on either side of a wall and a third frame was firing past one at the other. Joshua corrected me when I suggested they use the frame as cover because it threatened their opponent and they could still fall back on the wall for protection. In his words,"you can only be behind one piece of cover at a time," and that the wall was their only option.

That's interesting, because Joshua said in this very thread that "It's COVER which means it's the ATTACKER'S choice." These two seem contradictory and I'd need clarification to be able to answer further. I'm going to keep playing the way I stated until I understand the difference.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:01 pm

In my games we're used to deciding matters concerning cover somewhat democratically.

"We all agree that this guy is in cover right?"

It's painfully informal, but have worked so far :lol:
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 am

VitorFaria wrote:In my games we're used to deciding matters concerning cover somewhat democratically.

"We all agree that this guy is in cover right?"

It's painfully informal, but have worked so far :lol:

Yeah, that's a useful strategy to keep a game flowing. I sometimes go a step further and resolve disputes beforehand. For example, I might say "My intent is to move to a position where I am in direct-fire range of this frame and also in cover from that direction. Would you say that I can do this right here?". If I don't get an okay from everyone, I can make a different choice. If I'd moved first and my opponents disagree, I'd be stuck with whatever they decided.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:35 am

Blorf wrote:That's interesting, because Joshua said in this very thread that "It's COVER which means it's the ATTACKER'S choice." These two seem contradictory and I'd need clarification to be able to answer further. I'm going to keep playing the way I stated until I understand the difference.

Yeah, clearly the book ruling of "defender's choice" for cover and "attackers choice" for range is super simplistic and not as explicit as I had presumed. This thread is a genuine head-scratcher and is making me rethink my life in general.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby aurlaent » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 am

I think the principle is to give each player the best option for them.
The target is in range if it's in doubt.
The defender is in cover if it's in doubt.
The attacker can choose which cover if there's a choice that needs to be made. (or at least which cover takes damage first)
aurlaent
Talkative

Previous

Return to Rapid Attack