Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Any question on the rules for MFZ: Intercept Orbit should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Inspired/Based on Vincent's Demo Rules

    Rules Left Out/Modified
  • No Aces
  • HVA Does not move
  • No Collision/Ramming rules
  • No Space Debris
  • Companies get half fuel or infinite fuel (I am not sure which here)
  • Doom Clock at 6, No Counting Down the Clock (Which I am not sure is mention in the IO rule book?)
  • Set Points Values: Ships, Companies and HVA is worth 5 points each or HVA is 10 points while Ships and Companies are 5 or Ships and HVA is 5 while companies are 0 points. (Not sure which one works the best yet)

3 Players/Teams Ideal

Each Player/Team with have 2 Ships: 1 Capital Ship and 1 Frigate
    All Capital Ships are fitted as follows:

  • 1 Frame Catapult System
  • 1 Spot System d6Y
  • 1 Defense System d6B
  • 1 Weapon System. Not sure if it should be Assault or Point Range but leaning more toward Assault Range.

    Frigates are fitted as follow:

  • 1 Spot System d6Y
  • 1 Defense System d6B
  • 1 Weapon System
    1 Player/Team with a Support Range Weapon System aka Support Fire Frigate
    1 Player/Team with a Assault Range Weapon System aka Assault Fire Frigate
    1 Player/Team with a Point Range System aka Frame Hunter Frigate

    Setup

  • About 2 ruler and half size playing field
  • Place HVA at Center
  • Place each fleet in their own sector with one ship about a ruler and half away from HVA

Feedback?
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
User avatar
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 am

To me, the best demo for IO is simply to play RA.

I'm not sure if I would ever recommend IO for a completely new player that never heard of MF0.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:17 am

VitorFaria wrote:To me, the best demo for IO is simply to play RA.

I'm not sure if I would ever recommend IO for a completely new player that never heard of MF0.


There could be people that are more interested in IO then RA. Also you might want to start with a demo then jumping into the full version.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
User avatar
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:54 am

Shades_Corvid wrote:There could be people that are more interested in IO then RA. Also you might want to start with a demo then jumping into the full version.


Fair enough. You could still just use RA rules with ships instead of mecha, maybe introducing the cost to turn in it.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:48 pm

VitorFaria wrote:
Fair enough. You could still just use RA rules with ships instead of mecha, maybe introducing the cost to turn in it.


I feel like your telling me to use Star Wars: Imperial Assault to teach Star Wars: X-Wing
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
User avatar
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Shades_Corvid wrote:Inspired/Based on Vincent's Demo Rules

    Rules Left Out/Modified
  • No Aces. (Works for me.)
  • HVA Does not move. (Works for me.)
  • No Collision/Ramming rules. (Works for me.)
  • No Space Debris. (You still need a little terrain on the board.)
  • Companies get half fuel or infinite fuel (I am not sure which here). (I'd say half Fuel, get 'em used to ticking the dice down.)
  • Doom Clock at 6, No Counting Down the Clock (Which I am not sure is mention in the IO rule book?). (No counting down the clock? Why bother having it?)
  • Set Points Values: Ships, Companies and HVA is worth 5 points each or HVA is 10 points while Ships and Companies are 5 or Ships and HVA is 5 while companies are 0 points. (Not sure which one works the best yet). (All Assets are 5 points.)

3 Players/Teams Ideal

Each Player/Team with have 2 Ships: 1 Capital Ship and 1 Frigate
    All Capital Ships are fitted as follows:
  • 1 Frame Catapult System
  • 1 Spot System d6Y
  • 1 Defense System d6B
  • 1 Weapon System. Not sure if it should be Assault or Point Range but leaning more toward Assault Range. (Assault Range. Otherwise the fleet with this and the "Frame Hunter Frigate" won't be able to engage any of their opponents at range.)

    Frigates are fitted as follow:
  • 1 Spot System d6Y
  • 1 Defense System d6B
  • 1 Weapon System
    1 Player/Team with a Support Range Weapon System aka Support Fire Frigate
    1 Player/Team with a Assault Range Weapon System aka Assault Fire Frigate
    1 Player/Team with a Point Range System aka Frame Hunter Frigate

    Setup
  • About 2 ruler and half size playing field
  • Place HVA at Center
  • Place each fleet in their own sector with one ship about a ruler and half away from HVA

Feedback?

See my notes in the text.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Shades_Corvid wrote:I feel like your telling me to use Star Wars: Imperial Assault to teach Star Wars: X-Wing


Never played any of those games so I have no idea.

IO base mechanics is clearly based of RA basic mechanics and RA does have simpler rules. Not sure if the same applies to these games you mentioned.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby Blorf » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:33 pm

I can see this from both sides. I think the answer might be to explain that the game is easier to learn if you can play RA; and ask if RA would interest them. If so, switch to RA and come back to IO later. If not, or if you don't have enough kit to play RA nearby, then a set of IO-specific demo rules would be helpful to have.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
User avatar
Blorf
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: I stand with Twankus

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:44 pm

I think rather than comparing IO to RA, we should be looking at the Demo Rules for RA vs the full rules for RA.

Demo rules didn't remove more mechanics than SSRs and construction rules. Cover, range, double-systems, et cetera are all a distinct and important parts of showing the flexibility of the system, otherwise you're simply playing chess with dice.

My recommendation is the diversify the builds a bit more, leave obstacles in, and allow each player access to an Ace. Aces are HUGELY important to IO, maybe even more-so than the loadout of any other single ship. More than once, I've heard the recommendation that your fleet construction should be influenced by the role and tactics that your Ace and squadrons will play.

Also, the comparison would more likely be X-wing to Armada, but that's nitpicking.
User avatar
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:15 pm
Location: Western MA, USA

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Blorf wrote:I can see this from both sides. I think the answer might be to explain that the game is easier to learn if you can play RA; and ask if RA would interest them. If so, switch to RA and come back to IO later. If not, or if you don't have enough kit to play RA nearby, then a set of IO-specific demo rules would be helpful to have.


Yeah, I think that's right.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:41 am

Mantisking wrote:
    Rules Left Out/Modified

  • No Space Debris. (You still need a little terrain on the board.)

This is most likely right. I was leaning toward this because so little in a regular game would it be bad for a smaller table? Just less pieces like 3-4?
Mantisking wrote:
  • Companies get half fuel or infinite fuel (I am not sure which here). (I'd say half Fuel, get 'em used to ticking the dice down.)

  • Yeah, this is also the right call.
    Mantisking wrote:
  • Doom Clock at 6, No Counting Down the Clock (Which I am not sure is mention in the IO rule book?). (No counting down the clock? Why bother having it?)

  • This is a typo or something. I mean players don't force the clock to do down faster.
    Mantisking wrote:
  • Set Points Values: Ships, Companies and HVA is worth 5 points each or HVA is 10 points while Ships and Companies are 5 or Ships and HVA is 5 while companies are 0 points. (Not sure which one works the best yet). (All Assets are 5 points.)

  • Agreed

    Mantisking wrote:Each Player/Team with have 2 Ships: 1 Capital Ship and 1 Frigate
      All Capital Ships are fitted as follows:
    • 1 Weapon System. Not sure if it should be Assault or Point Range but leaning more toward Assault Range. (Assault Range. Otherwise the fleet with this and the "Frame Hunter Frigate" won't be able to engage any of their opponents at range.)

    I didn't think about that, you are completely right. Totally go with Assault.
    "The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

    Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

    The University - MF0 Discord Server
    User avatar
    Shades_Corvid
    Grizzled Veteran
     
    Posts: 738
    Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

    Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

    Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:50 pm

    CmdrRook wrote:I think rather than comparing IO to RA, we should be looking at the Demo Rules for RA vs the full rules for RA.

    Demo rules didn't remove more mechanics than SSRs and construction rules. Cover, range, double-systems, et cetera are all a distinct and important parts of showing the flexibility of the system, otherwise you're simply playing chess with dice.

    My recommendation is the diversify the builds a bit more, leave obstacles in, and allow each player access to an Ace. Aces are HUGELY important to IO, maybe even more-so than the loadout of any other single ship. More than once, I've heard the recommendation that your fleet construction should be influenced by the role and tactics that your Ace and squadrons will play.

    Also, the comparison would more likely be X-wing to Armada, but that's nitpicking.


    I am not denying the importance of aces but I think introducing their extra mechanics isn't good for a demo.
    "The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

    Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

    The University - MF0 Discord Server
    User avatar
    Shades_Corvid
    Grizzled Veteran
     
    Posts: 738
    Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

    Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

    Postby CmdrRook » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:00 pm

    Shades_Corvid wrote:
    I am not denying the importance of aces but I think introducing their extra mechanics isn't good for a demo.


    A lot of folks struggle understanding Spotting Systems (timing and usefulness) during their first RA demo, but I'd argue that omitting it entirely would be more detrimental than beneficial. It would certainly misrepresent a huge part of the game, mechanically as well as tactically. Perhaps a judicious choice of which Aces to include would be a good compromise between displaying the game and what it has to offer while being digestible to the first-time players at the table.
    User avatar
    CmdrRook
    Grizzled Veteran
     
    Posts: 510
    Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:15 pm
    Location: Western MA, USA

    Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

    Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm

    CmdrRook wrote:
    A lot of folks struggle understanding Spotting Systems (timing and usefulness) during their first RA demo, but I'd argue that omitting it entirely would be more detrimental than beneficial. It would certainly misrepresent a huge part of the game, mechanically as well as tactically. Perhaps a judicious choice of which Aces to include would be a good compromise between displaying the game and what it has to offer while being digestible to the first-time players at the table.


    Still doesn't feel right, maybe as a second demo thing.I would certainly talk about the Aces a little during the demo maybe but certainly do it after. I do that with RA, a hint about what is in a full game and certainly talk about it after. Doing an IO demo in the same fashion wouldn't be any different.
    "The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

    Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

    The University - MF0 Discord Server
    User avatar
    Shades_Corvid
    Grizzled Veteran
     
    Posts: 738
    Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

    Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

    Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:31 pm

    Updated Draft

    Inspired/Based on Vincent's Demo Rules

      Rules Left Out/Modified
    • No Aces
    • HVA Does not move
    • No Collision/Ramming rules
    • Limited Space Debris, 3-4 pieces.
    • Companies get half fuel
    • Doom Clock at 6, Players can't force the clock down faster.
    • Set Points Values: All assets are 5 points

    3 Players/Teams Ideal

    Each Player/Team with have 2 Ships: 1 Capital Ship and 1 Frigate
      All Capital Ships are fitted as follows:

    • 1 Frame Catapult System
    • 1 Spot System d6Y
    • 1 Defense System d6B
    • 1 Assault Range Weapon System

      Frigates are fitted as follow:

    • 1 Spot System d6Y
    • 1 Defense System d6B
    • 1 Weapon System
      1 Player/Team with a Support Range Weapon System aka Support Fire Frigate
      1 Player/Team with a Assault Range Weapon System aka Assault Fire Frigate
      1 Player/Team with a Point Range System aka Point Fire Frigate

      Setup

    • About 2 ruler and half size playing field
    • Place HVA at Center
    • Place each fleet in their own sector with one ship about a ruler and half away from HVA

    Feedback?
    Last edited by Shades_Corvid on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

    Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

    The University - MF0 Discord Server
    User avatar
    Shades_Corvid
    Grizzled Veteran
     
    Posts: 738
    Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

    Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

    Postby VitorFaria » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:52 pm

    This is maturing really well.

    Still don't get why not counting down the doomsday clock, thou. It's not all that hard to explain or grasp, in my opinion.
    "For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
    User avatar
    VitorFaria
    Mod Team
     
    Posts: 1879
    Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
    Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

    Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

    Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:55 pm

    VitorFaria wrote:This is maturing really well.

    Still don't get why not counting down the doomsday clock, thou. It's not all that hard to explain or grasp, in my opinion.


    1) I think it will be forgotten in the dynamic of a demo game, there is no reason for anyone to 'cook the clock' until they have scored the lead somehow, 2) It feels like taking away time from the people I am trying to demo too.
    "The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

    Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

    The University - MF0 Discord Server
    User avatar
    Shades_Corvid
    Grizzled Veteran
     
    Posts: 738
    Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

    Re: Intercept Orbit Demo Rules Draft

    Postby Shades_Corvid » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 am

    Totally forget Joshua put out Demo rules of his own!!!
    "The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

    Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

    The University - MF0 Discord Server
    User avatar
    Shades_Corvid
    Grizzled Veteran
     
    Posts: 738
    Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm


    Return to Intercept Orbit

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest