Base Sizes and Orientation

Any question on the rules for MFZ: Intercept Orbit should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Base Sizes and Orientation

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:07 am

I've been reading through the latest version of the IO rules (version 0.8) again and noticed something. On page 20 it notes that:
HVAs rest on a base that's 8x4 studs;
Capital ships rest on a base that's 8x8 studs;
Frigates rest on a base that's 4x8 studs;

I understand that capital ships and frigates are on different base sizes to help visually identify what they are, and to have an effect on movement. But is there a difference between the bases of HVAs and frigates? "8x4" to me implies that the base of an HVA should be 8 studs wide and 4 studs deep, but that might not be the case.

Anyone have any insight here?
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: Base Sizes and Orientation

Postby Mantisking » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:39 am

HyveMynd wrote:I've been reading through the latest version of the IO rules (version 0.8) again and noticed something. On page 20 it notes that:
HVAs rest on a base that's 8x4 studs;
Capital ships rest on a base that's 8x8 studs;
Frigates rest on a base that's 4x8 studs;

I understand that capital ships and frigates are on different base sizes to help visually identify what they are, and to have an effect on movement. But is there a difference between the bases of HVAs and frigates? "8x4" to me implies that the base of an HVA should be 8 studs wide and 4 studs deep, but that might not be the case.

Anyone have any insight here?

That's probably a typo. If I remember correctly, it mentions that HVAs maneuver like a Frigate, which wouldn't be possible on an 8x4 base.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:54 am

I was wondering if it was a typo too. It might be. Page 29 notes that only frigates (not HVAs or capital ships) can spend a maneuver die pip to click a hinge twice, so it doesn't sound as if HVAs can maneuver like frigates.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:43 am

Just to clarify, HVA size limits and bases are the same as frigates, but they maneuver like capital ships (can only click any hinge on the ruler once).
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby HyveMynd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Despite liking to tinker with game rules I'm not that great at visualizing their effects. I'm wondering what would happen if you reduced the base sizes in MF0:IO from 8x8 for capital ships and 4x8 for frigates to 4x8 and 4x6 respectively.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby aurlaent » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:42 am

The extra width of the capital ship bases is a big part of their horrible turning circle.
You could try 6x6 and 4x6, but then you'll probably get more "free" movement on each hinge click.
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:02 am

Yeah, the wider base of the capital ships causes them to have a wider turning radius. I think it's important to keep Capital Ships 2x as wide as Frigates to keep the same proportions compared to each other. If you want to try shrinking the bases to save space on the table, I would try making the Capitol Ships 6x6, Frigates and HVAs 3x6, and Frame Squadrons 3x3, I would also try shortening the individual ruler units by 1 (from 5 to 4).
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby HyveMynd » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:47 pm

It's Monday morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I'm a bit slow.

How does having a wider base result in a wider turning radius? When a ship makes a turn, you:
1) click the hinge (twice for frigates if you want);
2) align the ruler with the back of the ship's base along the inside of the turn;
3) rotate the ship so the front of its base aligns with the next ruler segment (the one you just clicked).

As both capital ships and frigates are on bases that are 8 studs long, aren't they moving the same distance when they execute a turn?
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:40 pm

HyveMynd wrote:It's Monday morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I'm a bit slow.

How does having a wider base result in a wider turning radius? When a ship makes a turn, you:
1) click the hinge (twice for frigates if you want);
2) align the ruler with the back of the ship's base along the inside of the turn;
3) rotate the ship so the front of its base aligns with the next ruler segment (the one you just clicked).

As both capital ships and frigates are on bases that are 8 studs long, aren't they moving the same distance when they execute a turn?

Since the ruller dictates the center-line of the turn, the radius of said turn is dictated by the furthest edge of the base. An eight-stud-wide turning radius will collide with a lot more table features- including the dreaded edge of battlefield- much more easily than a base four studs wide, further exacerbated by carriers' ponderous click-per-segment limitation.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby HyveMynd » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 am

CmdrRook wrote:An eight-stud-wide turning radius will collide with a lot more table features- including the dreaded edge of battlefield- much more easily than a base four studs wide, further exacerbated by carriers' ponderous click-per-segment limitation.

OK, I see now. The radius of the curved path taken by a capital ship is two studs wider than that of a frigate. Got it.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby AgentStack » Sat May 02, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm digging through all my plates. I have a healthy mix of older gen pieces and new ones, but I can't find any that are 8x8. Is it implied that I should put a 6x8 and a 2x8 together to create a base plate or am I just lacking parts?
AgentStack
Young Gun

Postby Mantisking » Sat May 02, 2015 11:38 pm

AgentStack wrote:I'm digging through all my plates. I have a healthy mix of older gen pieces and new ones, but I can't find any that are 8x8. Is it implied that I should put a 6x8 and a 2x8 together to create a base plate or am I just lacking parts?

It's fine to do that. Some of us have combined a pair of 4x8 plates to make a 8x8.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Sun May 03, 2015 1:44 am

This topic got me wondering about what a 4p equivalent of IO would change.

Anyone have any thoughts on what impact the following shift to half-scale would have on game play?

- Instead of frame squadrons you have individual Frames on a 2x2 base.
- Instead of frigates you have Shuttles on a 2x4 base.
- Instead of capital ships you have Gunboats on a 4x4 base.
- Then the ruler gets half-length as well (not sure which makes more sense: 8-unit 1x2 click hinge or 4-unit 1x4 click hinges).

(Please don't mind the gunship being in whatever colors were at hand. I was just trying to see if it would actually hold together and if the double-hinges worked in brick.)

Ruler, frame, gunship, and shuttle, with 4 ace versions in back. I realized belatedly that the lightsabre handle was not imported into LDR, so just pretend there's one in the clip for the red ace.
Attachments
half-scale-io.lxf
(15.75 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:43 pm

That's pretty neat!

Movement and rang will be less precise, but whatever.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Intercept Orbit