Question about maneuver points and the hinge ruler

Any question on the rules for MFZ: Intercept Orbit should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Question about maneuver points and the hinge ruler

Postby Scrape » Sun May 25, 2014 10:10 pm

:oops: Sorry for making two topics in a row, but I wanted to ask this question separately.

I am a little bit confused about movement and maneuver points, and I'm not even sure how to word the question. But I'll try: It costs one point of maneuver to click the hinge ruler. But does that execute the turn, or do you spend 1 point of your movement to make the turn?

Like, this move right here, where the ruler has been clicked and now you're just rotating the ship:

...rotating the ship onto the next segment is included in the 1 point of maneuver you spent, right?

What if I spend 2 maneuver and click it twice:

...does my ship end up at that spot just by spending the 2 maneuver, and then it moves the default four segments of movement from there? Or did it cost me some of my movement to get there?

...does this even make sense as a question or am I just making this confusing for myself? :oops: Am I making too much distinction between maneuver and movement? I appreciate any clarification!
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Re: Question about maneuver points and the hinge ruler

Postby Scrape » Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 pm

I woke up this morning and realized the obvious: the first click is basically turning in place and costs a maneuver point. From there, I spend additional maneuver to click the ruler into the shape I want and then spend movement to count segments. So the second diagram is the result of 2 maneuver and 1 movement. I think.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm

You are correct!
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Scrape » Wed May 28, 2014 5:25 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:You are correct!

It had to happen eventually! :D
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby HyveMynd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:41 am

I'm got to cast a necromancy spell on this thread and raise it from the dead.

I've just started reading the MF:IO rules and am still confused by turns during movement. When a ship spends a pip from its movement die to turn, you do the following:
  • Line the back of the ruler up with the back of the ship's base;
  • click the next segment once (or up to twice if the ship is a frigate);
  • then align the front of the ship's base with the next ruler segment.

Just like in @Scrape's diagram. None of that used up any of the ship's movement, right? Just movement die pips. Unless I spend movement die pips to increase or decrease the ship's speed, it still has to move four ruler segments. I think that's correct.

But if I want to spend more movement die pips to click more segments, how does that work? Let's say I had four movement die pips and spent all of them on turns. What would that look like? Do I:

1) click the ruler four times (no more than once for each segment though), align the back of the ruler with the back of the ship's base, align the front of the ship's base with the front of the next segment, then move the ship four segments?
2) align the back of the ruler with the ship's base, click the next segment once, then align the front of the ship's base with the front of the next segment for each pip of movement die spent, then move four ruler segments after turning?

Ruling #1 gives me a soft, 90 degree arc (assuming a single click on each hinge) with one segment of straight movement at the end. Ruling #2 gives me a much tighter turn (almost rotating in place) with four segments of straight movement at the end. Which one is correct? Or are the both correct, since one gives you an arc while the other give you rotation.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:35 pm

HyveMynd wrote:I'm got to cast a necromancy spell on this thread and raise it from the dead.

I've just started reading the MF:IO rules and am still confused by turns during movement. When a ship spends a pip from its movement die to turn, you do the following:
  • Line the back of the ruler up with the back of the ship's base;
  • click the next segment once (or up to twice if the ship is a frigate);
  • then align the front of the ship's base with the next ruler segment.

Just like in @Scrape's diagram. None of that used up any of the ship's movement, right? Just movement die pips. Unless I spend movement die pips to increase or decrease the ship's speed, it still has to move four ruler segments. I think that's correct.

But if I want to spend more movement die pips to click more segments, how does that work? Let's say I had four movement die pips and spent all of them on turns. What would that look like? Do I:

1) click the ruler four times (no more than once for each segment though), align the back of the ruler with the back of the ship's base, align the front of the ship's base with the front of the next segment, then move the ship four segments?
2) align the back of the ruler with the ship's base, click the next segment once, then align the front of the ship's base with the front of the next segment for each pip of movement die spent, then move four ruler segments after turning?

Ruling #1 gives me a soft, 90 degree arc (assuming a single click on each hinge) with one segment of straight movement at the end. Ruling #2 gives me a much tighter turn (almost rotating in place) with four segments of straight movement at the end. Which one is correct? Or are the both correct, since one gives you an arc while the other give you rotation.

Remember that ships have inertia that gives them 4 movement points before you even spend maneuver points, so #1 is accurate, but for the wrong reason. Even after spending all your pips on turning, your ship still has the 4 movement to complete the turn. If you had, say, 5 pips, and wanted to spend them all on turning, you'd be wasting a maneuver point because your ship could only move 4 segments on inertia. Hope that clears things up.

(EDIT: one typo on a mobile device has to be a new personal record.)
Super-post-edit: misread part of your post, the important part where you're exactly right about example #1, my apologies. And it should be noted somewhere that y:-) ou may only turn so many clicks per ruler unit of movement.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby HyveMynd » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 am

So when making turns you:
  • 1) align the back of the ruler with the back of the ship's base;
  • 2) spend a movement pip to click the next ruler segment once (or up to twice if it's a frigate);
  • 3) move the ship so that the front of it's base aligns with the front of the next ruler segment (essentially a bit of free movement);
  • 4a) spend a point of forward momentum to align the back of the ship's base with the back of the ruler segment; OR
  • 4b) spend more movement pips to click additional hinges;
  • 5) repeat 4a or 4b as many times as you want to or are able given the ship's momentum and movement die pips.

So it sounds like once you place the ruler to start measuring turns, you don't move it again. Is that correct?
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby aurlaent » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:12 am

You'll have to move it if you want to turn in the other direction.
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:14 am

aurlaent wrote:You'll have to move it if you want to turn in the other direction.

That's true. I was assuming you were clicking the hinges all the same way.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Return to Intercept Orbit