Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit.

Any question on the rules for MFZ: Intercept Orbit should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit.

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Hey, MoFØs! I've started playtesting Mobile Frame Zero 002: Alpha Bandit and would love some help!

In the time of the Solar Calendar, spacecraft are restricted by their mass when they travel between stars, which means they're modest little affairs, tens of meters long. They're armed with lasers (long-range), missiles (shorter range, but mighty), and antiframe weaponry (short-range, high volume of fire weapons meant to track fast-moving, maneuverable frames). Many are also equipped with catapults and frame repair facilities.

Of course, no one bothers fighting in space if you're not fighting over something. Such fleets are best used in the defense and capture of High Value Assets: liabilities like civilian shuttles, shipping containers being shoved around space by labor frames, or communication satellites trying to get into their proper orbit.

Ships and HVAs retain momentum, but frame companies have extremely high thrust:mass ratios, twisting in motion like a cat, leaping from HVA to enemy ship to friendly catapult to refuel and relaunch and capture an enemy ship to use as a forward base for their offensive.

I've got a couple of versions of the playtest rules already (one in print, one with some corrections in PDF form, and set of corrections in my notebook), and I'd like to use this thread to discuss how the rules work as you chabbers rock this stuff.

If you want the print rules, I'll set up a PayPal button tomorrow so you can send me a couple of bucks for s&h and I'll drop them in the local transit gate. I'll also be setting up a link for the PDF that will be a rolling link from which you can always download the latest version until they're all done.

I'm looking forward to seeing some microspace stuff! If you wanna know your creative constraints, let's talk about it over in the Background forum!

(Mods, you wanna pin this for the time being?)
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit

Postby Thaddeus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Oh boy oh boy!
Last edited by Thaddeus on Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Alpha Bandit

Postby Dukayn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:(Mods, you wanna pin this for the time being?)

Stickied
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Dude, so excited for this.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby darksyntax » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:18 pm

d8Ra Barely. Containing. Excitement. d8Ra
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby aimforthetop » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Time to learn shipboulding! :D
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby drewdavis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Yes please.
drewdavis
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:15 am

I heard about this over on RPG.net on Sunday. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:22 am

Mantisking wrote:I heard about this over on RPG.net on Sunday. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Huh! Link us up?
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Mantisking » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Mantisking wrote:I heard about this over on RPG.net on Sunday. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Huh! Link us up?

Discussion starts here.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 pm

This sounds awesome! I'm guessing microscale spaceships won't have to be regulated to Offtopic much longer. ;)
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:55 pm

OK, MoFØs, let's see what you got! I've already made some mods to the printed version, so make sure you download the PDF even if you want me to mail you one of the limited edition pamphlets!

Please feel free to spread the word about this. It's not a secret or anything, but the MoFØs should hear about these things first!
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Mantisking » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm guessing Ack-Ack and Lasers do damage on a 5-6 as opposed to the 4-6 of Missiles?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Thaddeus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Yes!

I presume a separate thread for typos etc. will be be opened when its got to that stage?

Mantisking wrote:I'm guessing Ack-Ack and Lasers do damage on a 5-6 as opposed to the 4-6 of Missiles?

I was mixed up about that part. The 1-4, 5-9, 10+ seemed to be indicating the range of the weapon type. But in the Missile category it says that it does damage at 4-6. Huh?
Last edited by Thaddeus on Thu May 01, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Thaddeus wrote:
Mantisking wrote:I'm guessing Ack-Ack and Lasers do damage on a 5-6 as opposed to the 4-6 of Missiles?

I was mixed up about that part. The 1-4, 5-9, 10+ seemed to be indicating the range of the weapon type. But in the Missile category it says that it does damage at 4-6. Huh?

I assume standard MFZ:RA damage rules apply, as per
"Assume everything not mentioned here is the same as Rapid Attack"
so there's that.

1-4, 5-9, 10+ for me = range, with the damage on 4-6 being the result of your roll. Much like HtH in MFZ:RA does damage on a 4-6 but is range 1.

My 2c, "Ack ack" sounds stupid. "Flak" or "AA" is probably more appropriate and doesn't sound like my cat hurking up a furball.

Re maneuvering, your ruler starts out straight (flying straight ahead) and each "pip" on the dice that you roll for maneuvering allows you to "click" the ruler once, allowing for turns and whatnot. I like that mechanic, it's interesting. And having d6G d6G gives you 2 clicks per "pip".
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Thaddeus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Dukayn wrote:1-4, 5-9, 10+ for me = range, with the damage on 4-6 being the result of your roll. Much like HtH in MFZ:RA does damage on a 4-6 but is range 1.

Oookay, gotcha. That makes sense.

Dukayn wrote:My 2c, "Ack ack" sounds stupid. "Flak" or "AA" is probably more appropriate and doesn't sound like my cat hurking up a furball.

I agree. At first I thought it was a typo.

Dukayn wrote:Re maneuvering, your ruler starts out straight (flying straight ahead) and each "pip" on the dice that you roll for maneuvering allows you to "click" the ruler once, allowing for turns and whatnot. I like that mechanic, it's interesting. And having d6G d6G gives you 2 clicks per "pip".

Yeah, the movement and momentum rules here are really neat.
Last edited by Thaddeus on Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:OK, MoFØs, let's see what you got! I've already made some mods to the printed version, so make sure you download the PDF even if you want me to mail you one of the limited edition pamphlets!

Please feel free to spread the word about this. It's not a secret or anything, but the MoFØs should hear about these things first!

I click the link and all I get is my paypal activity.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:08 pm

This looks rather interesting :D Also, I'd assume 7p is to Minifig as Alpha Bandit scale is to 7p >.>
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby aimforthetop » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Shades_Corvid wrote:
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:OK, MoFØs, let's see what you got! I've already made some mods to the printed version, so make sure you download the PDF even if you want me to mail you one of the limited edition pamphlets!

This. I just get logged into PayPal.

I imagine this was a really small run so I'm assuming we're too late.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 pm

aimforthetop wrote:
Shades_Corvid wrote:

This. I just get logged into PayPal.

I imagine this was a really small run so I'm assuming we're too late.

Most likely.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Intercept Orbit