Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit.

Any question on the rules for MFZ: Intercept Orbit should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Alpha Bandit

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm hoping to launch this coming Tuesday, but there are some pretty severe human factors interfering.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby spacemonkey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I'm hoping to launch this coming Tuesday, but there are some pretty severe human factors interfering.

Dang! That's a lot sooner that I expected.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:16 pm

It's been a little bit of a scramble! But we're closing in.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Well, don't forget that it'll run for about a month! And even if you can't afford to back, you can make sure everyone knows about it while the KS is going!
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Meaker VI » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Frigates now get a green d6 for free. It's not a system.

Doesn't this mean that a Frigate is just any ship with 3 (or fewer) systems and 1 green system? Unless that D6 is totally free, and a Frigate could equip 3 d6G + 1 d8G because of it (Ramming Speed!)? Unless the situation is that a Frigate doesn't get the d8G for having 2 d6G (1 free d6G, 1 system d6G) and 2 of something else, but that forces the above situation to be possible again. Why would anyone build any Cruiser that included a single green if this is the case (especially with the bonus movement and smaller base)?
Meaker VI
Young Gun

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Green dice are not a shipboard system, so capital ships can't have one.

Frigates have three systems and always roll a green d6, making them more controlable and faster. Since green dice are not a shipboard system, you can't mount a second green die on a frigate.

Frame companies get one for their standard configuration and can have a green ace.

Dig?
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Meaker VI » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Green dice are not a shipboard system, so capital ships can't have one.

Frigates have three systems and always roll a green d6, making them more controlable and faster. Since green dice are not a shipboard system, you can't mount a second green die on a frigate.

Frame companies get one for their standard configuration and can have a green ace.

Dig?

Aha, that clears that up. Makes much more sense now. So the systems are just Black, Blue, Yellow, and 3 kinds of Red dice while IN SPACE!!!. I figured you'd have noticed that weirdness and dealt with it, but it isn't clear in the 0.3 document (where "Maneuver" is listed as a system under ship design).
Meaker VI
Young Gun

Postby grafvonbarnez » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Any chance we'll be able to get a playtest draft with the changes you've made since v3? Or is it straight to final after the kickstarter?

Edit: And I see my question was answered by the kickstarter
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

Yep!

I still have to transfer my EXTREMELY VALUABLE index card of notes into a rules text! I went to a playtest and left my notebook at home!
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 am

Meaker VI wrote:Aha, that clears that up. Makes much more sense now. So the systems are just Black, Blue, Yellow, and 3 kinds of Red dice while IN SPACE!!!. I figured you'd have noticed that weirdness and dealt with it, but it isn't clear in the 0.3 document (where "Maneuver" is listed as a system under ship design).

Yeah, 0.3 is SO OLD.

Green dice are also a system for frame companies. They come with one normally, and you can take the green ace to get a green d8 on the company (which also lets you shove around whole ships). You only lose the ace power when the whole company goes down, though.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby grafvonbarnez » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Just a vague concern at this point, but the kickstarter says that the Rapid Attack rules are required to play. I'm assuming the finished rules text won't be quite as vague as the playtest documents in the "everything not stated here is the same as in :RA" department, but I can't really imagine a way to clarify all of the (currently unstated) assumptions involved in the playtest rules and still have the original :RA rules be necessary. Unless you're just talking about stuff like the basics of how dice and damage and initiative work?

Sorry, I'm being vague but I don't really know how to clarify well enough.
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:46 pm

grafvonbarnez wrote:Just a vague concern at this point, but the kickstarter says that the Rapid Attack rules are required to play.

I was curious about this myself. How much overlap is there between the books/rules?
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm

As little as possible. Basically, it's detailed exceptions to the rules, with examples and clarification for the new context. It'll refer to the :RA rulebook frequently.

That said, the existing :AB 0.3 rules are crammed onto three pages. I have 16x that for 002.
Last edited by Joshua A.C. Newman on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby schoon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:As little as possible. Basically, it's just the exceptions to the rules, with examples and clarification for the new context. It'll refer to the :RA rulebook frequently.

This is your baby, and any way you decide to do it is fine.

However, as someone formerly involved on the sales side of the game industry I frequently saw that additional stand alone games tended to sell much better than supplements. It might be worth considering.
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Be that as it may, there's no budget for a longer book. It's possible that there will be, but that's far, far down the Kickstarter road.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby schoon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Be that as it may, there's no budget for a longer book. It's possible that there will be, but that's far, far down the Kickstarter road.

Well, it up to us to help make it that successful then! :D
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Dukayn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 am

grafvonbarnez wrote:Just a vague concern at this point, but the kickstarter says that the Rapid Attack rules are required to play.

Why would this be a concern? The Rapid Attack rules are a free PDF, or a cheap enough book to get separately. Not like it's hard to get.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby grafvonbarnez » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 am

Dukayn wrote:Why would this be a concern? The Rapid Attack rules are a free PDF, or a cheap enough book to get separately. Not like it's hard to get.

It's not a concern for "where do I get the rules" reasons, it's a concern for "How are you going to separate the rules for :RA and :AB without failing to explain all of the unstated assumptions that differentiate :AB from :RA?" I've played plenty of games of :AB, but the playtest rules were a nightmare of unstated assumptions, and I was hoping that didn't carry over into the final rules text. I'm totally satisfied and placated by Joshua's response that it's going to be 16x longer than the playtest rules.
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby Dukayn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 am

Ah fair enough. Ambiguous wording. It's a risk you take when you make expansion rule sets to existing rules. But I think anyone with a basic understanding of Rapid Attack rules will have no trouble adapting to Alpha Bandit.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby grafvonbarnez » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:09 am

I agree, and I think my last comment may have come off as unnecessarily harsh. (I still love the rules, honestly!) The biggest problems I had, as evinced by all the questions in this thread, were where the rules broke down a little bit, but not unrecoverably, from the :RA assumptions. On reflection, the parts I took for granted in my original post about this (dice, damage, initiative, and scoring) are all the biggest core parts of MFZ that I grok and take for granted, but consume a huge chunk of the :RA rulebook. And if we're getting 48 pages of rules and explanations (less the pages of setting and fiction, I suppose) I can believe it won't be an issue.
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

PreviousNext

Return to Intercept Orbit