Dice & Dichromatic Vision

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Dice & Dichromatic Vision

Postby CADmonkey » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Dice & Dichromatic Vision by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Here is a sampling of dice I use for games of Mobile Frame Zero and how they appear to those with dichromatic vision. I wanted to share this here because for some players, Mobile Frame Zero's colour-coded dice have proven to be a barrier to their enjoyment of the game.

I took this photo using the Chromatic Vision Simulator app, and it shows the dice through C common (aka: trichromatic); P protanopic; D deuteranopic; and T tritanopic vision.

The left-hand column shows the dice I initially used for games of MFZ, and the red & green dice are nearly indistinguishable to protans. After hearing from some players that this was a problem, I tried using green dice of a different hue.

The centre column shows the second hue of green dice. They’re more distinct from the red dice for protans, but for deuteranopic persons they are less distinguishable from the red dice. After hearing from another player (who had used my first selection of dice without trouble) that this was a problem, I found some red dice of a lighter tint to use.

The right-hand column shows the dice I’m currently using, with the second green hue and the second red tint. I haven’t had the chance to ask any of my friends who had troubles with my previous dice selections what they think, but looking at them through the CVSimulator I’m hoping these dice won’t be a barrier to them.

Finally, I see from the CVSimulator image that the blue and green dice I’m using are nearly indistinguishable to tritanopic persons. Tritanopia is rarer than other forms of dichromacy and I haven’t heard from anyone that these dice were a problem for them, but I don’t want them to be a problem for anyone, so I’m going to look for some different blue or green dice to use instead.
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection: The Bright Seraphim MF0: Rapid Attack
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: Tumblr | Twitter | Facebook | Pintrest
CADmonkey
Talkative

Re: Dice & Dichromatic Vision

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Great initiative, CADmonkey!

Now I wonder where I can get a bunch of pink dice!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:18 pm

I use red and blue dice with black pips, and yellow and green dice with white pips for this exact reason.

The systems in the handbook are always differentiated by letter, so that's one possible solution if you don't mind rolling on a device. Not as fun as real dice for sure, but I'd take it over not playing at all.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 pm

One of the people in my regular gaming group uses some dice with pips and some with numbers for this same reason.
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion