Announcement

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Announcement

Postby Mantisking » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 am

I posted this on my blog this morning.

There was a bit of a brouhaha on the Facebook page on Monday over someone having Fascist symbols in their icon and having pro-Fascist pictures on their public Facebook page. That person ended up getting banned after actually using hate-speech in a conversation and another person quit the MF0 Facebook group over "free speech" issues.

A lot of people bring that up in defense of people who show support for fascists. "They have the right of Free Speech."

No they don't. Not on official Mobile Frame Zero related websites.

Part of licensing/creating material related to Mobile Frame Zero is this caveat.

You must design your setting material in such a way that the signature elements of feudal, authoritarian, totalitarian, communist, corporate/anarcho-capitalist, or democidal political structures that are not true, workable, or morally acceptable in the real world are equally untrue, unworkable, and unacceptable in your setting.

That's built into everything Joshua has put his stamp of approval on. So that means once you agree to the Terms & Conditions of any MF0 website you join, you are bound by that clause. in short, any public display of support for Fascists of any ilk through speech or display of symbols -- this includes public icons, profiles, or pictures -- will result in an instant and permanent ban from any official Mobile Frame Zero group.

You have been warned.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Re: Announcement

Postby Atavism » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Probably not a bad time to remind people:

"Because of the particular place that Nazism holds in recent memory and ongoing history, please do not publish in association with the Mobile Frame Zero brand, on the Web or otherwise, frames or setting elements named after WWII Nazi machinery or institutions."
-Creative Constraints

Nazi Germany built a lot of cool stuff with wicked sounding names. The German military produced memorable, even heroic, figures that weren't necessarily ideological Nazis themselves. None of them are severable from the fact that they existed in service to "Industrialized Murder- The Country."

Please refrain from using their names, conventions, decals, etc in your posts and designs.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 pm

As for the free speech argument, we don't violate anyone's rights. You may still say what you like. However, there is nothing that requires us to publish everything you say. This community has rules, and every registered user agreed to them when they joined. Those rules include the moderation of discussion topics.

Facebook has similar terms.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:01 pm

As they say, free speech means that you can't be arrested for what you say, it doesn't mean everybody must give you a free platform.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby StingerTheRaven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Creative Constraints wrote:frames or setting elements named after WWII Nazi machinery or institutions."

This doesn't include frames inspired by such machinery but otherwise unrelated, correct? Such as a tank akin Pz.2L's design with a designation like "SV-05 Hare"? Or is any vague reference to Nazi-designed equipment cause for concern?

I'd just rather know beforehand whether or not I'll accidentally get myself banned thanks to the designs of some of my frames.
StingerTheRaven
Newcomer

Postby Atavism » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm

StingerTheRaven wrote:
Creative Constraints wrote:frames or setting elements named after WWII Nazi machinery or institutions."

This doesn't include frames inspired by such machinery but otherwise unrelated, correct? Such as a tank akin Pz.2L's design with a designation like "SV-05 Hare"? Or is any vague reference to Nazi-designed equipment cause for concern?

I'd just rather know beforehand whether or not I'll accidentally get myself banned thanks to the designs of some of my frames.

Tanks look like tanks. Don't go naming them things like "Panzerfahrerjäger Elefant" or companies like "Rommel's Rats" and you should be okay.

And for what it's worth, honest mistakes just get you asked politely to change or remove offending content. We do want you to participate, after all.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Also remember that prior to Nazi designation, the German word for "Tank" was "Tank." There is no good reason to call anything a Panzer-anything in this universe.

As far as naming and design inspiration is concerned, consider how important it is for you to honor the source material. If it's not that important, then changing something to distance it a bit more shouldn't be a big challenge. If it is important to you to preserve the legacy, you might be at odds with the content guidelines.

A good litmus is if you're unsure where it falls, it may be prudent to ask an objective third party. People are pretty regularly active and available for critique on the Discord server.

It is hard to look around at the real world for inspiration and not find a tool of someone else's suffering and oppression, that's the nature of wargaming and it's important window of introspection that it offers us. It's our duty not to glorify it, because in the end, the game should be fun and enriching.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion