[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Stud.io

Stud.io

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Stud.io

Postby Mantisking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 am

This is the new LDD from Bricklink. A new Terms Of Service was sent out last night. Please read this section VERY carefully.

7.2 By publishing any content to any public areas of the Site where other Site users have access to your content including but not limited to Catalog, Build Gallery and forums of the Site, you grant to BrickLink an irrevocable, a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive and sub-licensable right to use your content in any manner as BrickLink deems appropriate in relation to the operation of the Site. You confirm and warrant to BrickLink that you have all the rights, authority and power necessary to grant such right to BrickLink and the content uploaded by you will not infringe upon the right of any party. If there is any reported violation that the content shared by you has infringed upon the right of any party and if BrickLink determines that such report is made on reasonable grounds, BrickLink may take necessary measures to address the reported violation by hiding or taking down the published content. You may request for reinstatement of the public content by evidencing that you are the lawful owner of the rights to the content.

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Re: Stud.io

Postby Vitoria » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Sigh...

That sounds extra dodgy.

Stud.io feels great to use as fair as I tried it, it's a pity.

Let's watch out for future updates.
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:51 pm

To be fair, that's actually not as horrible as it appears. Roughly translated, that just means, "We can't be held liable for stuff you publicly post on our site. If you try to sue us because other people can see your work, then it sucks to be you as you shouldn't have uploaded it. If Disney comes after us for hosting your X-Wing model, we'll just point the finger at you."

Not exactly charitable, but understandable. Notably, it's specifically only for items published back up to Bricklink.

I'm interested in checking out stud.io for modeling, but not at all interested in using the community aspects of it. Any indication if it mandates or requires use of a bricklink account even for offline modeling?
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Soren » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 pm

I tend more towards Luke's interpretation; this isn't great, but barring actual evident ill-will I'm inclined to read it as overbroad legal language rather than WE WANT YOUR SOUL ON TOAST.

For the record, if anyone wants to put Chub, etc. models up on Bricklink, you have my express permission to do so. This could be a game-changer for a lot of people who want to get into MF0, although it's a pity it's come after Joshua has semi-abandoned the game.
Last edited by Soren on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the .
See more stuff I've made: |
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 am

Joshua also believes it down the right of Luke's and not that different from Facebook's. Simply put if you keep the file private to yourself and share away from Bricklink there isn't a problem.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atavism » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:24 am

Nothing about this it to protect them. Host sites aren't held accountable for user submitted content unless they specifically solicit for and maintain content they know is illegitimate. Most of the "we can take down" stuff is just paraphrasing their obligation to the DMCA.

The only thing they do is make you pinkie swear you can give them the rights to your design, which is now theirs irrevocably, permanently, and sub-licensably.

It isn't that different than what Facebook does with photos you post. No big deal unless they sell your photo to a dating site advertiser or to be a AIDS victim in a PSA. Enough to keep me off? No, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole if I was a professional photographer.

So these guys want to have rights to anything that touches their site, which is lame and unnecessary. I'd think twice before using Studio without a very clear idea of what features they consider public enough to trigger the clause. I'd hate for them to start selling my MOC as a kit or sell it to a third party without receiving compensation for my work.

It does make me wonder, what kind of rights do we have to builds? Obviously the pictures we take belong to us, but the build itself? You can't own a technique, and at least culturally if not legally there is a share and share alike vibe (with varying degrees of attribution). Can a build even be proprietary?
Last edited by Atavism on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Vitoria » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:33 am

Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:43 am

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:47 am

Last edited by Blorf on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:17 am

If anything it is probably ignorance as this isn't some big company though if you are designing software like this get a decent legal peep(s). They are listening as this is a license update so if we get with the rest of the community and inform them in the issues we can probably get it changed.

In that note Stud.io isn't public BrickLink so just using it is safe and if you don't share on their system including forum, your stuff is safe. Use Box accounts if you want to share files and etc. The group building requires manual IP address sharing so be careful with that!

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby schoon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Yes - nothing says you have to share your content on their "gallery."

I like the design interface; I like the ability to pose; I like the ability to combine both with POVRay and your want lists.

All in all, I'd say it's a step up.
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:53 pm

The multi point of views is nice.

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Luke_BMM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:07 am

Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Vitoria » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:29 am

On Patreon you pretty much only post a brief text describing why people should give you money. If you're a painter you won't have all your paintings on full HD hosted on your Patreon page, and you really shouldn't have.

The comparison is really weak, in my opinion.
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:29 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Soren » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:05 pm

I think you also need to look at the potential utility of what you share using the service. Bricklink is a fan site that hooks into an especially paranoid, defensive, prickly and socially maladept fan culture. Does Bricklink stand to make more money by dicking you over? No they do not. Bricklink is a middleman service that runs, more than anything else, on presumed goodwill. If Bricklink's goodwill becomes legitimately suspect, it'll lose due-paying sellers and happy buyers, which I promise you costs more than it could ever hope to recover in sales of kits made with a product they only resell. And they are dealing, in the main, with horrendously suspicious people who will be only too glad to pick up and go.

At most Bricklink wants to use images of your work to promote itself. That seems basically fine to me; tit for tat, especially if I stand to make any money at all (on my hobby which by definition I would be doing for free or at a loss, because I enjoy it). Middlemen aren't my favorite creatures, but like dogs I don't mind clean, pleasant, trained ones in small doses.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the .
See more stuff I've made: |
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Atavism » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Vitoria » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:08 pm

So, I wish we could reopen this discussion a little bit.

Did we reach any consensus?

While this terms are definitely problematic, is there a realistic chance of Bricklink actually doing something shady with it without ruining their reputation?
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion