[Announcement] Non-Combat Frame Challenge

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

[Announcement] Non-Combat Frame Challenge

Postby Atavism » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:24 pm

Ladies and Gentleman, I have a proposition.

To introduce you to my thinking, I will begin:
One of the rules of Canon is that Frames are the Best at Everything (Newman 3:24 MFZGD, 2014), but in practice there are very few things frames are depicted as being good at besides fighting and sometimes racing. Some of that is attributable to the culture- the POINT of mecha is to blow stuff up, right? Some of it is, I think, because of the constraints of MFZ itself. We're building frames as war parties, and frames tend to make poor, or confusing (or expensive!) terrain, and tend not to fit the size rules for stations.

Either way, what few civilian frames there are tend to have been Mad-Maxxed by rebellious colonists.

I decry the absence of Peacetime frames both in principle and as a demerit to the creativity of our community!

We are just finished with the day of Giving Thanks, and we are now in the Season of Peace on Earth and Goodwill Towards Men, and in that spirit I propose we take a moment to cease hostilities and build non-combat frames.

To excite your interest, I submit this plea in the form of a contest, from which I will select a winner.

As such:

THE NON-COMBAT FRAME CHALLENGE OFFICIAL RULES

Submission will be accepted to a separate thread in the Frame Design sub, which I will be posting shortly. The submission window will be from today until the end of Christmas Day, with one winner being selected at my convenience sometime before New Years Day, and the possibility of runners-up in the event there is sufficient interest to support a pool of winners.

Multiple submissions are allowed, but please try emphasize quality over quantity!

Submissions are to include:

1. A photograph of your frame.

2. A brief description of the frame and/or a fluff piece detailing it in action.

3. A description of what you imagine its system loadout to be if it were to be used as a game-piece.

I will include a non-competing frame for purpose of format example.

Other random rules and shower-thoughts from the Contest Sponsor:

Submissions may be brick-built or digital renders, and should conform to build standards and rules of the Mobile Frame Zero universe. Try to keep it in "the box," people!

Submissions may include terrain or other vignette features so long as they display the frame prominently and clearly. I will be judging the frame alone, but a nice presentation might make the difference in a close tie!

The purpose of this contest is to support the design and creation of non-combat frames, so the frame should be purpose-built to do some non-combat task. For Example: A chub with a shovel is technically a laborer, but could just as easily grab an assault-rifle. A chub with a crew cab and steam-shovel arms cannot

Submissions will judged on novelty/creativity as much as they are build quality, so don't just build a chub with steam-shovel arms! :lol: Seriously though, anything goes and the more specific the better!

Racing Frames, though technically non-combat, are fairly well represented. I'm not outright banning them, but understand that there's a handicap against them, especially if your idea is a sleek, awesome-looking humanoid frame with jet-thrusters and wheelie-feet. A soapbox derby or automobile frame could still fare pretty well though... I'm digressing.

"OKAY FINE I READ THROUGH ALL THAT BUT WHAT DO I GET?"

Thank you for bearing with me, and I hope my answer isn't too disappointing, having gotten this far.

I'm not offering a tangible prize. I don't have a cup of Legos to share and I'm not collecting addresses to ship them to.

Instead, the winner (and maybe theoretical runner up) will get the opportunity to challenge me to build anything they'd like. It's only fair, you answered my challenge, I'll answer yours. Preferably something microscale mecha themed, as that's what I'm geared towards, but really anything you'd like within reason. If I don't think I can build it with what I've got then I'll make a nice render of it.

If anyone would like to commit to volunteer themselves to be a prize, please comment below or PM me and I'll add your name to the pot, and we'll all do a take on the winner's prompt!

The Prize is currently to challenge these people to a build:
Atavism

Runner Up Prize:
A mobile frame build by Starflower.
Last edited by Atavism on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Re: [Announcement] Non-Combat Frame Challenge

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Watch out, guys, 'cause I'm on the field! 8-)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:57 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Watch out, guys, 'cause I'm on the field! 8-)

You're enthusiasm is cheering. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Causa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Well I haven't built a frame in ages, but this is exactly the jolt of creativity I need to start working again :D

Count me in, as well.
Causa
Newcomer

Postby Atavism » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:05 am

Causa wrote:Well I haven't built a frame in ages, but this is exactly the jolt of creativity I need to start working again :D

Count me in, as well.

Great to hear it!
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Entry Limit?
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Not sure what I could offer as a prize but I problay shouldn't anyways as I just entered. :shock:

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atavism » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Shades_Corvid wrote:Not sure what I could offer as a prize but I problay shouldn't anyways as I just entered. :shock:

The "prize" for winning is just getting to tell me what to do with a build. I'm looking for more people to commit to doing the build as well, and we'll all post pictures together in a thread. Is that unclear/ is there a better way for me to have said it up top?

I don't care if people want to enter and be a "prize" if they'd like.

Oh, and submit as much as you'd like.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby soriansj » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:15 am

I want to cook something up too... I have no idea what but I am looking forward to becoming a participant. Count me in!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
"Fear not the Defigo Hound that has picked up your scent. Fear the Master coming right behind it.
soriansj
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atavism » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:52 pm

soriansj wrote:I want to cook something up too... I have no idea what but I am looking forward to becoming a participant. Count me in!

Plenty of time to work something up. Looking forward to seeing your build!
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Starflower » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:16 am

I've been thinking, and I've thunk thusly:

I'll throw in a build as a runner-up prize. Something frame-sized. (Just a challenge/request, like the original prize.)
Starflower
Young Gun

Postby Atavism » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 am

Starflower wrote:I've been thinking, and I've thunk thusly:

I'll throw in a build as a runner-up prize. Something frame-sized. (Just a challenge/request, like the original prize.)

Thank you very much Starflower. That's very generous of you to offer your services.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Starflower » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:16 am

Atavism wrote:Thank you very much Starflower. That's very generous of you to offer your services.

Just being runner-up generous. ;) You made a great challenge, it felt like a good idea to up the price pool. All in a days work in the universe.
Starflower
Young Gun

Postby Atavism » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:22 am

Well, looks like that's it folks. Christmas is just about over here, and that means so is the contest. I'll accept any last minute submissions there may be if they show up before I wake up, to accommodate time zone differences.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I have.

Stay tuned, votes are being cast, scores tallied, trophies engraved, etc, etc. I'll have a write-up in a few days declaring the winner and talking about the builds in general.

Thank you again, and may peace be with you.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:48 pm

The Winners!

Best in Show Grand Prize- Challenge me to anything! (Please be gentle)
Spoiler: show
Luke_BMM's "NCF-13L"

Best in Class: Serious Frames Runner Up 1- Challenge me to just a MFZ related build!
Vitor Faria's "AML-02 Amphibious Ocean Exploration Frame"

Best in Class: Irreverent Frames Runner Up 2- Challenge me to just a MFZ related build! (And also I'll do yours second)
Starflower's "R-Katy Vendor Frame"

Starflower's Special Achievement Award Runner Up 3- Challenge Starflower to an MFZ related build!
Shades_Corvid's "Rhino"

Participation Trophies can be found here.

And now, an explanation.

First off I'd like to thank everyone for participating. There were a lot of great builds, and it was very difficult for me to pick a winner.

Originally my idea was to to select winners by creating a point-tally rubric based on a few categories so that I could say I came to my picks relatively scientifically through what would at least be a semi-objective process. Ok, yeah, right. There were too many different, applicable categories that I could think of to rate frames by, and giving them an actual number value? Nevermind. As the challenge progressed I found myself mentally organizing frames into two rough categories- "Frames that Make Sense" and "Frames that Don't Make Sense." Some frames were serious ideas that could serve some actual need in the MFZ universe, and then there were more "fun" ideas that really don't need to be frames and really abuse the "Frames are the best" logic. I liked both kinds, and I liked them differently. I enjoyed the sensible frames for the weight of their builds. The visual appeal, the technical aspects of building that went into them, color blocking and structure and etc. etc. The "nonsense" frames I liked more for the idea behind them, thematic execution, and how they excited my imagination and how I might envision them in the world; not to say they weren't well built or the build didn't matter, it just wasn't at the front of my mind.

To that end I selected winners as the strongest in each category.

Vitor Faria won the "Serious" category with his Underwater Explorer. His VTOL frame was already a very strong submission. The agile wings and insectoid legs, the exposed hoses leading to tanks of fuel, the multi-eye. I could really see this one in action in an anime, saving a hero who was about to crash after an extended dogfight. Then he came out with the Underwater Explorer and I was blown away. The shaping was perfect. The color blocking added just enough black to break up the yellow in a eye catching way. The parts used were interesting and usual. And those legs! Very simple but they do so much, and certainly such a mech would need legs that could fold up and under its chassis when not in use. This was a clear winner in my book.

Starflower won the "Silly" category with the R-Katy. Starflower's builds really brought out the play and whimsy I've come to know him for. He had already posted a strong submission with the Tardy. Immediately recognizable for what it was supposed to be with a fun mecha-awning and a bunch of little legs. The R-Katy, however, was something else entirely. Varicolored, covered with gaudy lights, and blocky, the R-Katy would sit down and convert into an arcade booth. The original is good, and there's so much room to expand the concept. We could have a freaking R-Katy contest and everyone would be able to have a completely original idea! It was too much fun not to win.

The problem I ran into as I organized my thoughts for this post, however, is that as I described my reasoning it became harder and harder to justify Luke_BMM's build not winning. I didn't like his design as much as Vitor's. I didn't like his idea as much as Starflower's. Seriously though, look at that friking thing! Nobody's design so perfectly straddled the Venn Diagram of my thinking as well as Luke's. Good building, check. Clean lines on a simple chassis made room for novel details like the tiny little ski-lift seats (retractable!) and snow-bunny ears (tooth plates). He even got in some articulation by using minifig legs instead of a bracket or other SNOT mid-torso. Good ideas? Check. Elegant skis that could be stowed on its back when not in use. Sleek chassis lines that hearkened to a downhill skier tight in on a run. Who needs this thing? No-one! Perfect. Any format that excluded this build was a bad format, and so I changed it to accommodate a third and ultimate victor.

Finally, Starflower had generously offered to add in a runner-up prize, which was good. There were so many deserving builds, and if it wasn't a huge over-commit (and also kind of defeated the purpose of a contest) I would have probably added awards until it got to the point where I might as well give one to everybody. However, I really loved Shade's Rhino build. Not quite serious enough an idea (there's gotta be a better way to knock down stuff than running headfirst into it and occasionally entombing the pilot) while still being a cool offering. I've got a lot of love for the battering ram face and the big, blocky body and legs. This is a frame I'd like to have as part of a squad.

Again, I hope everyone had FUN with this, which was the real point, right? And I hope everyone was inspired as I was. There's a lot of great stuff here to start strapping missiles and guns and stuff to!

Get building everyone!
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Best in Class: Serious Frames Runner Up 1- Challenge me to just a MFZ related build!

Octan-Octopus IO HVA! ;)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:58 pm

VitorFaria wrote:

Octan-Octopus IO HVA! ;)

Oh dear lord, that's a long memory. I suppose I owe you that Octopus anyway, don't I? I had abandoned the project, but I'm glad you're making me go at it again. I feel like I'm a little better situated to make something so rounded and weird. :mrgreen:
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Starflower » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:59 am

Atavism wrote:Best in Class: Irreverent Frames Runner Up 2- Challenge me to just a MFZ related build! (And also I'll do yours second)

Huzzah!

I wasn't sure if I'd come up with a challenge anything quick-like - but I so happened to have something in the back of my mind...
The reason for Mobile Frames being best for work is because of their easy pilotability, mimicing the user, right?
And since Ijad can "ride" any kind of animals, they'd choose something suitable for deep ocean operations, right?
I want an ocean exploration Cuttlefish-Ijad frame. (Eh, Vitor already requested an octopus - but I don't think it's too similar to this one.)
Go wild! No ijady-white, either - it's supposed to be a camo-chameleon, after all! ;)
Starflower
Young Gun

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 am

Atavism wrote:Starflower's Special Achievement Award Runner Up 3- Challenge Starflower to an MFZ related build!
Shades_Corvid's "Rhino"

Thanks Atavism and love your combat version of the Rhino as I mention on Discord.

For Starflower I request a front line NEWS reporting frame.
Last edited by Shades_Corvid on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atavism » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:50 pm

Starflower wrote:
Atavism wrote:Best in Class: Irreverent Frames Runner Up 2- Challenge me to just a MFZ related build! (And also I'll do yours second)

Huzzah!

I wasn't sure if I'd come up with a challenge anything quick-like - but I so happened to have something in the back of my mind...
The reason for Mobile Frames being best for work is because of their easy pilotability, mimicing the user, right?
And since Ijad can "ride" any kind of animals, they'd choose something suitable for deep ocean operations, right?
I want an ocean exploration Cuttlefish-Ijad frame. (Eh, Vitor already requested an octopus - but I don't think it's too similar to this one.)
Go wild! No ijady-white, either - it's supposed to be a camo-chameleon, after all! ;)

I was a little worried when you started talking about deep ocean stuff. Lotta gangly monsters down there. I think I can pull off a cuttlefish. Now all we need is for Luke to ask for a snail and we'll have the mollusc theme on lockdown...
Atavism
Mod Team

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion