[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - are there 'standard' stats for the Rapid Attack frames?

are there 'standard' stats for the Rapid Attack frames?

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

are there 'standard' stats for the Rapid Attack frames?

Postby ohako » Wed May 25, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi folks,

I picked up MFZ 001 and 002 at PAX East. I was wondering if there were listed stats for the frames w/instructions? Problem for me is, I keep coming up with too many or two few systems on each frame

ST-07 Chub
1 Red (2Rd): the gun
1 Yellow: the head
1 Blue: the chest armor

ST-10 Osprey
1 Red (2Rd): the gun
1 Yellow: the radar gun
1 Blue: the road-sign shoulder pads
2 Green: the back-mounted thrusters

Ghanat
1 Red (2Rd): the laser eye
1 Yellow: the 'ring' camera
1 Green: four legs

First Eye
1 Red (2Rh): the leg claws
2 Yellow: the head mounted antenna array
1 Blue: the leg armor
1 Green+d8: four legs (and no ranged weapon)

I haven't actually played the game yet, so I have no idea if a frame with 3 or 5 systems is even a good idea. Anyway, are there 'official' stats (like in Intercept Orbit), or do I get to make some up, or should I just assume they're all 1/1/1/1 across the board?
ohako
Newcomer

Re: are there 'standard' stats for the Rapid Attack frames?

Postby darksyntax » Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 pm

The game can be TOO free form at first. Start with . This should give you a place to start when deciding a frames loadout. Ask yourself, 'what do I want the frame to do?' then find an archetype.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 am

spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Thu May 26, 2016 9:46 am

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu May 26, 2016 12:23 pm

I feel like the Delegator should make that list now. It was among those I created for the Handbook to fill in some roles that I thought were missing. I don't think they all necessarily need copied in, but that particular loadout has grown some legs—and fans—here on the forums. Some people might see the name now and wonder what the loadout is.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Thu May 26, 2016 1:17 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby ohako » Thu May 26, 2016 4:34 pm

okay, I think I've figured this out...maybe. I want to have everything be just-so for a first playthrough. To that end I want to make sure that a team of 3 Chubs and 2 Ospreys can have an even go at 3 Ghanat and 2 First Eyes. Would these teams be 'balanced' enough so that both sides have a reasonable shot? Or balanced enough that I can convincingly lose in a close game?

3 ST-07 Chub
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6Y

So, the Anvil. The Chub has a reasonably big gun (and an extra clip on its back), and is borrowing the Osprey's handheld scanner

2 ST-10 Osprey
d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6G d6G

So, the Fast Assualt. It's got a big jetpack (with two parts that can pop off), a pretty normal-looking gun, and nifty road signs for shoulder armor

3 Ghanat
d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G

The Soldier. Laser beam, teensy camera, some slopes for leg armor, and four scuttly legs

2 First Eye
d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6Y d6Y d8G

Not an archetype! The Squad Swarmer? Claws, giant two-part radar system, leg slopes, and a d8 green for speed

How's this?
ohako
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Thu May 26, 2016 4:45 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu May 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Fri May 27, 2016 8:01 am

I think I understand what's happening, here, ohako. The models (Chub/Osprey/et cetera) do not each represent one rigid set of stats, as opposed to a unit listing in any other war-game. The book shows EXAMPLES of how you CAN load them out, but the choice is ultimately yours in how you kit them out. The only thing that a frame intrinsically has, stat-wise, are its two white D6. You want an artillery Ghanat? Replace the top-mounted laser with some missiles or a railgun. If you just wanted it to be a mobile wall? Remove its weapon entirely and give it some distinctive defensive systems.

It is also folly to try to reverse-engineer a Frame's stats based solely on artist representation, but it may be a fun exercise! You did quite well, actually.

Try to remember that the Green D8 is never a system, in and of itself. It can not be equipped or lost to damage, and does not count towards the frame's maximum system count or your PPA calculations, which may be an initial source of confusion.

Addendum: Stat Examples interpreted from the build instructions and official demo games;
Chub: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B (the build instructions are surprisingly bare-bones, alt build on pg 67 for heavier firepower d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6Y)
Osprey: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6G d6Y (alt build on pg 66 uses different pieces for the same loadout)
Hi-Leg: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6G d6Y (I've seen the pod on the left side of the frame used as a second direct, an artillery, and a sensor pod, alternatively)
Commisar: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6Y d6Y (I dislike the inclusion of the movement system into the frame's feet as "dust skates" for practical playability reasons, but I have successfully inserted a 1x1 round tile into the clip on the heels as a fix)
Ghanat: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6G d6Y (alt build on pg 68 changing very few parts and including an SSR; d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6G d8Rr)
Suzerain: d6W d6W d6B d6G d6Y d6Y d8G (A weaponless frame in a demo is a large burden, so Joshua's dropped their movement system for a melee weapon)

Hope these help as inspiration, but never let the "official" designs constrain you. Build, experiment, and innovate. It's what keeps this game, and it's community, fresh as hell.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ohako » Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 am

ohako
Newcomer

Postby Vitoria » Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 am

Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 27, 2016 10:02 am

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion