Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:47 pm

I didn't have a lot of dice, so I made this on paint! :lol:

ImageTokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values by Vitor O S Faria, on Flickr

I just playtested them, they worked wonderfully!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby aurlaent » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Good idea.
User avatar
aurlaent
Talkative
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby Dukayn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:18 pm

This is a really cool idea for those without enough dice. Nice work.
User avatar
Dukayn
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:11 pm

After a good number of battles under many cricunstances, even outdoors, I feel like I have to point out that this style of playing works very well:

- I've found that this quickens the game considerably.
- Unlike what some would think, wind isn't an issue. Wind that is strong enough to mess with tokens is also strong enough to topple over frames and terrain.
- Trading a yellow dice for a yellow token so you can hold it while you wait for the spoting phase is surprisingly gratifying. Especialy if the value is high. Really feels like you acomplished something.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby Blorf » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:05 pm

VitorFaria wrote:- I've found that this quickens the game considerably.

Compared with what? Having lots of dice or something else you were using to represent them?
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
User avatar
Blorf
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: I stand with Twankus

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:41 am

Blorf wrote:
VitorFaria wrote:- I've found that this quickens the game considerably.

Compared with what? Having lots of dice or something else you were using to represent them?


Well, I made those because I never had enough dice for normal play, I believed this was clear enough.
We used to write down the values.

Having enough dice is probably just as fast or even slightly faster.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:08 pm

VitorFaria wrote:
Blorf wrote:
VitorFaria wrote:- I've found that this quickens the game considerably.

Compared with what? Having lots of dice or something else you were using to represent them?


Well, I made those because I never had enough dice for normal play, I believed this was clear enough.
We used to write down the values.

Having enough dice is probably just as fast or even slightly faster.

I still think having enough dice is faster just because you get to use the actual die you rolled and don't have to find the right slip of paper with the right number. Plus, dice are easier to grab off a flat surface.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:10 pm

MittenNinja wrote:I still think having enough dice is faster just because you get to use the actual die you rolled and don't have to find the right slip of paper with the right number. Plus, dice are easier to grab off a flat surface.


Yeah, I don't deny that.

Still, if you have no dice like me, this is a feasible alternative.

The point is not tell you that this is better than dice, the point is to tell you all that this works.

If you spread the tokens out is really fast to pick them up, as the values go up only to 6 is really easy to find them as well, you will find the one you want in the very first sight, most of the times.

Summing things up, my games are more agile than before, and I would recommend this to anyone that would want to start playing before having an opportunity or money to buy more dice.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:21 pm

VitorFaria wrote:
MittenNinja wrote:I still think having enough dice is faster just because you get to use the actual die you rolled and don't have to find the right slip of paper with the right number. Plus, dice are easier to grab off a flat surface.


Yeah, I don't deny that.

Still, if you have no dice like me, this is a feasible alternative.

The point is not tell you that this is better than dice, the point is to tell you all that this works.

If you spread the tokens out is really fast to pick them up, as the values go up only to 6 is really easy to find them as well, you will find the one you want in the very first sight, most of the times.

Summing things up, my games are more agile than before, and I would recommend this to anyone that would want to start playing before having an opportunity or money to buy more dice.


Absolutely! I would much rather use this than writing scores down or just trying to remember.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby David Artman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:25 am

I'll confess that I don't quite understand folks with enough Legos to make a frame company but not enough dice to roll for that company. A 'nice frame' cost upwards of $8; enough dice to support any frame forever costs, on average about $2 (8d6 and 2d8 at most, right?). Chessex dice bricks, folks... 25802 12mm d6 Yellow/Black Dice Block™ (36-Dice) $5.95--enough for six teams with six frame ALL spotting. Ditto for 25806 12mm d6 Blue/White Dice Block™ (36-Dice) $5.95--enough for *18* double-defense frames on the table.
User avatar
David Artman
Talkative
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Durham, NC, USA

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:01 pm

David Artman wrote:I'll confess that I don't quite understand folks with enough Legos to make a frame company but not enough dice to roll for that company. A 'nice frame' cost upwards of $8; enough dice to support any frame forever costs, on average about $2 (8d6 and 2d8 at most, right?). Chessex dice bricks, folks... 25802 12mm d6 Yellow/Black Dice Block™ (36-Dice) $5.95--enough for six teams with six frame ALL spotting. Ditto for 25806 12mm d6 Blue/White Dice Block™ (36-Dice) $5.95--enough for *18* double-defense frames on the table.


Some of us are broke college students from Brazil that just hapen to have kept most of their Lego from their childhood...

You would be amazed by how some things that seems to be trivialy easy to buy to you can be quite hard to someone else.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Tokens for Mobile Frame Zero - Defense and Spot values

Postby Soren » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Yes. What's available in bulk in Western Europe and the United States/Canada and what's available in bulk elsewhere are pretty divergent, often because of shipping costs more than anything else.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
User avatar
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 am
Location: Low Earth Orbit


Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests