Do you need an LDraw file produced?

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Do you need an LDraw file produced?

Postby Wordman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi. I'm the guy who created the assembly instructions that will appear in Mobile Frame Zero. In honor of the successful completion of the MFØ kickstarter, I'm volunteering to produce (and publicly post) seven LDraw files of mobile frames, based on the next seven valid images of existing frames posted to this thread.

An image is only valid if:
  • The picture actually is of a LEGO mobile frame
  • It's posted by someone who hasn't already posted an image (i.e. one image per user)
  • It's possible to figure out assembly from the picture. (Multiple images at different angles encouraged.) I'm getting fairly good at figuring out how models fit together from pictures, but sometimes it isn't possible.
  • An LDraw file doesn't already exist for the frame.
  • The LDraw parts library contains the parts used in the model.
No guarantees on when these files will be finished, but I'll give it my best shot. If you are not the creator of the frame in the image, I'll try to track down who is.

Progress:
  1. Ramcat requested the Crater Corporation Mech by Malcom Craig: completed .ldr file .pdf instructions
  2. OrangeKnight requested his own KNight Frame: completed .ldr file .pdf instructions
  3. Alejandro requested the PA005 Prototype by drabadan: completed .ldr file .pdf instructions
  4. randolph requested the Takafashii-C variant by squieu: completed .ldr file .pdf instructions
  5. MittenNinja requested his own XF-21 Anaconda: completed .ldr file .pdf instructions
  6. Praetorian requested MittenNinja's Copperhead: completed .ldr file .pdf instructions
  7. Malcom Craig requested his own MgN-311: completed .ldr file .pdf instructions
Some "bonus" PDF files, based on classic models. I posted LDraw files for these years ago:I also skipped some of the requests for one reason or another, though produced files for some of them anyway:
  • Darcy Burgess requested his own Gutbucket: skipped (.ldr already exists, though here are .pdf instructions anyway)
  • erraticninja requested the Hi-Leg by Soren Roberts: skipped (will be part of the MFØ book).
  • Wadmaasi requested an early version of the Safir by Malcom Craig: skipped (author request)
  • randolph requested several large mechs: skipped (both for being out of MFØ scale and because randolph already made a completed request)
  • MittenNinja (sort of) requested the ST-09 Iguana: skipped (.ldr already built by Dukayn, but here is the .ldr and .pdf anyway).
  • panda1116 requested the Nantoka by squieu: skipped (trying to crowd source it instead).

All of these files are: Image
Last edited by Wordman on Thu May 24, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Wordman
Talkative

Re: Do you need an LDraw file produced?

Postby Ramcat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:48 pm

This mech is great! I can figure out the arms and legs (have them in LDD) but cannot get the body or lower rear grill to work.

Crater Corporation Mech, front by jed_september, on Flickr

Crater Corporation Mech, rear by jed_september, on Flickr

Crater Corporation Mech, right by jed_september, on Flickr
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby Darcy Burgess » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm proud of this guy, there's lots to be proud of.

It's cheap to build, quite configurable, and looks great on the battlefield.

I present: the Gutbucket.

gutbucket front by dpaj.burgess, on Flickr

gutbucket rear by dpaj.burgess, on Flickr

If you don't want to work up both variants, I prefer the Gutbucket support (left), because of its Macrossey/Spartan roots.

Gutbucket Support
2d6 + d8 Red Artillery - withering rocket pods
d6 Blue - ECM backpack
d6 Yellow - Comms

Gutbucket Trooper
2d6 Red Ranged - Autocannon
2d6 Red HtH - Ripsword
d6 Yellow - Comms
Darcy Burgess
Newcomer

Postby Ramcat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:36 pm

@Darcy Burgess
I can do those little guys easy. Those are great! I would love to have a set of rules for really small mecha like this where you might field 50 on a side. Battles that wage over a whole city, not a peach delivery truck with a flat tire. I still like my base idea for such a game. Each mech can take one action on its turn. "Move" or "shoot" or "capture objective" or whatever other abilities mechs might have in that game. So the game goes quickly.
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 pm

I know nothing about Ldraw, so if you could work out my KNight Frame and possibly the variants that'd be pretty awesome.

KNight Frame
ImageImage

KNight Brute Variant

KNight Tank Variant

KNight Flight Variant
ImageImage

Knight Multiped Variant
ImageImage

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby Alejandro » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am

I would love to know how to build this guy:

Here is the whole gallery (you have different variations and models):

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=95529
Alejandro
Newcomer

Postby Wordman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 am

Alejandro wrote:I would love to know how to build this guy:

It is almost certain the that the LDraw library doesn't have the large curved parts in that model (Bionicle faces, I'm guessing?) in its parts library. I'll see what I can do, but if it turns out that many parts would be missing from the file, I'll have to skip this one.
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Ramcat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 am

Well I hope I'm not stealing your thunder, I mean no offence, but here is a (no so pretty) LDraw file for the gutbucket. I only did one of them (it was late) and I ran in to some limitations of my knowledge of MLCad. But you can clearly use this to constuct the model. Let me know what you think.
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby Darcy Burgess » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:00 pm

I just looked over the gutbucket pics again!

The gutbucket trooper is missing two parts!

It needs two 1x1 plate, round added onto its back. It looks much better with.

D
Darcy Burgess
Newcomer

Postby Wordman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Crater Corporation Mech completed. I have edited the first post in this thread with links to the LDraw file and a PDF of step-by-step instructions.
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Wadmaasi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Wordman wrote:Crater Corporation Mech completed.

Holy &^%$, thanks! The .PDF is superbly done. Those of us with no assembly creativity really appreciate you doing this.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Ramcat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:16 pm

Wow. All I've been able to look at is the PDF, I'll have to look at the other later. But wow. That is awesome. The internal framework is different than what I was trying. As I said I couldn't figure it out. And I'll have to build it to see if it fits what I've already built. But the "wow" is the amaizing PDF - I'm sure this is the quality we're getting in the MFZ book, and that totally rocks!!

Very nice work!

And I believe this is the kind of work needed to make MFZ mainstream, if people can't build these great frames, why play? I know I wouldn't play if I was limited to the frames I can design and build (because they suck).

Thank you, Wordman!
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby erraticninja » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Wordman,

this might not be cool to ask, and I might just have to wait for the official materials, but I really would love one of the Hi-leg. I have had issue figuring that mech and more importantly am trying to invest in pieces to add to my collection of old mechaton pieces. So would appreciate it, but if it's not cool, or it is lame to count against the frame limit you are posting here then please don't do it.
erraticninja
Newcomer

Postby Wadmaasi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 pm

erraticninja wrote:I really would love one of the Hi-leg.

Even I was able to figure it out from this breakdown, and I'd never even heard of Mechaton before the Kickstarter was a couple weeks underway:

http://nobsjustabs.wordpress.com/instru ... 4f-hi-leg/

If you have additional questions it may be better to ask in a new root post so we don't clutter up this thread.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:44 am

Wadmaasi wrote:
erraticninja wrote:I really would love one of the Hi-leg.

Even I was able to figure it out from this breakdown, and I'd never even heard of Mechaton before the Kickstarter was a couple weeks underway:

http://nobsjustabs.wordpress.com/instru ... 4f-hi-leg/

If you have additional questions it may be better to ask in a new root post so we don't clutter up this thread.

Yeah the Hi-Leg can be figured out from that breakdown pretty easily. If I'm feeling like it later I might do an LDraw for it.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ramcat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 am

OK, lots to say.

1) Your LDraw file is for professionals. There is stuff in there I don't understand but I'm glad I have it to learn from. For most people though the hidden legs and arms might be difficult. I would have liked all the steps in one file, but I also want to learn to make better LDraw files.

2) To get to the arms and legs use the File>Export function. You'll get files that make up the arms and legs. How to get all those steps in one file I don't know.

3) The 1x2 plate that is upside down does not fit in real life/in the brick.

4) The brick with 2 studs is an innovative change to the takafashii frame this is based on, which uses two travis bricks. The freewheeling (not connected) 1x1 round plates is also not expected and very cool.

5) Malcolm_Craig (the designer) could weigh in on all this. I'm afraid he doesn't have this constuction anymore. Perhaps seeing it like this might trigger some memories. And, one word on that, this frame is just brilliant.

6) I wonder if there is not a 1x1 plate attached to the 1x2 plate with one stud? Something in the photos seem to make the nose stick out farther than this design.

All in all this is wonderful! This makes it much easier for people to build this great frame. And adds another great frame to the MFZ universe!!

Thank you for doing this!!
Ramcat
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:12 am

erraticninja wrote:Wordman,

this might not be cool to ask, and I might just have to wait for the official materials, but I really would love one of the Hi-leg. I have had issue figuring that mech and more importantly am trying to invest in pieces to add to my collection of old mechaton pieces. So would appreciate it, but if it's not cool, or it is lame to count against the frame limit you are posting here then please don't do it.

I've asked Lester not to publish those until the book's done so they go through the editorial process with everything else. I want you guys to have all the materials you can though so lemme think about that.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Dukayn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I've asked Lester not to publish those until the book's done so they go through the editorial process with everything else. I want you guys to have all the materials you can though so lemme think about that.

I take it there are no issues with us creating our own LDraw files of, for example, the Hi-Leg based off photos etc?
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Wordman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:15 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I've asked Lester not to publish those until the book's done so they go through the editorial process with everything else. I want you guys to have all the materials you can though so lemme think about that.

That said, LDraw files for all the models in the book will be published as soon as the book is done. (On the other hand, I have no issue with releasing "beta/playtest versions" and updating them to the final ones later, if Joshua agrees.)
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Wadmaasi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Paging schoon, can we get this thread stickied?
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion