Good Sets For Parts

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 11, 2012 4:41 pm

morganm wrote:Must have missed it; sorry 'bout that.

Is okay. It's a cool set.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Otami N71 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:42 am

It's not really a set, but I just found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270975696018?ss ... 723wt_1163

And promptly ordered one after scanning through the picture.

There looks like there's a -lot- of super useful frame parts in that mix, and for only $8 it's a hell of a deal.

I'm posting this here because there were more of them for sale, figured i'd share the love.

I'll post back in a couple of days once i get it in and validate or invalidate the usefulness of what I actually recieve. It is eBay after all :P
Otami N71
Chatty

Postby Mantisking » Sat May 12, 2012 10:10 pm

So I hit the FLLS the other night because I had stopped in the day before -- I'm really lucky in that I have one a little over a mile from the house -- and grabbed a re-fill big cup from the PaB Wall. A random -- well, picked for effect -- cross-section of the contents of my cup consists of the following. Maybe a dozen Plant Leaves 6x5 Swordleaf w/Clip, a ton of Plate, Modified 1x1 w/Clip Light - Thick Ring (some loose, some forming a helix in the center of the cup with) Plate, Modified 1x2 w/Arm Up, three stacks of Brick, Round 2x2 in Trans-Light Blue, two stacks in Trans-Neon Green, three stacks of Brick 1 x 2 without Bottom Tube in Trans-Clear, and a bunch of Rock 1 x 1 Jewel 24 Facet in Trans-Red to fill in the empty spaces. Oh, did I mention the stack of Hinge Brick 1 x 4 Swivel Base and matching stack of Hinge Brick 1 x 4 Swivel Top?

So there are good things on the PaB Wall. You just have to be patient.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby randolph » Sun May 13, 2012 12:02 am

Mantisking wrote:So there are good things on the PaB Wall. You just have to be patient.

Super jealous.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Sun May 13, 2012 12:25 am

Otami N71 wrote:It's not really a set, but I just found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270975696018?ss ... 723wt_1163

And promptly ordered one after scanning through the picture.

There looks like there's a -lot- of super useful frame parts in that mix, and for only $8 it's a hell of a deal.

I'm posting this here because there were more of them for sale, figured i'd share the love.

I'll post back in a couple of days once i get it in and validate or invalidate the usefulness of what I actually recieve. It is eBay after all :P

I saw this a couple weeks ago. I was just too weary. Ebay is a scary monster indeed. Let me know the results!
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Otami N71 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:45 am

Oh for sure! If it's legit, then i'll probably be buying up another two or three bags myself.
Otami N71
Chatty

Postby CrimsonKMR » Sun May 13, 2012 7:01 am

Mantisking wrote:So I hit the FLLS the other night because I had stopped in the day before -- I'm really lucky in that I have one a little over a mile from the house -- and grabbed a re-fill big cup from the PaB Wall. A random -- well, picked for effect -- cross-section of the contents of my cup consists of the following. Maybe a dozen Plant Leaves 6x5 Swordleaf w/Clip, a ton of Plate, Modified 1x1 w/Clip Light - Thick Ring (some loose, some forming a helix in the center of the cup with) Plate, Modified 1x2 w/Arm Up, three stacks of Brick, Round 2x2 in Trans-Light Blue, two stacks in Trans-Neon Green, three stacks of Brick 1 x 2 without Bottom Tube in Trans-Clear, and a bunch of Rock 1 x 1 Jewel 24 Facet in Trans-Red to fill in the empty spaces. Oh, did I mention the stack of Hinge Brick 1 x 4 Swivel Base and matching stack of Hinge Brick 1 x 4 Swivel Top?

So there are good things on the PaB Wall. You just have to be patient.

Is that the one in the Burlington mall? or another Lego store I'm unaware of?
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Sun May 13, 2012 10:19 am

CrimsonKMR wrote:Is that the one in the Burlington mall? or another Lego store I'm unaware of?

Natick. There's also one on the south shore, and one in Peabody.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Otami N71 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 am

Quick update on that ebay auction. Got the bag in, and there's definately some interesting pieces in here, but it's too much of a mix and not enough of any one brick to really be useful IMHO.

Bricklink still seems like the way to go.
Otami N71
Chatty

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 am

Oddly enough, it looks like one of the Lord of the Rings sets has some great parts for MFZ. Shelob Attacks has lots of clips, hinges, click hinges, and a 2x4 Triple Wedge w/Spider Eyes pattern that I think will see a lot of use. It's also $19.99 USD for 200+ parts, so it's in the sweet spot for Price/Piece.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby schoon » Fri May 18, 2012 10:24 am

Mantisking wrote:Oddly enough, it looks like one of the Lord of the Rings sets has some great parts for MFZ. Shelob Attacks has lots of clips, hinges, click hinges, and a 2x4 Triple Wedge w/Spider Eyes pattern that I think will see a lot of use. It's also $19.99 USD for 200+ parts, so it's in the sweet spot for Price/Piece.

Good find! That does have a lot of good pieces.
schoon
Site Admin

Postby ChaosChild » Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 am

Mantisking wrote:Oddly enough, it looks like one of the Lord of the Rings sets has some great parts for MFZ. Shelob Attacks has lots of clips, hinges, click hinges, and a 2x4 Triple Wedge w/Spider Eyes pattern that I think will see a lot of use. It's also $19.99 USD for 200+ parts, so it's in the sweet spot for Price/Piece.

I was looking at it and all I could think was that Shelob looks mechanical enough that all you need to do is add a couple of guns and she'd pass for a frame, no problem. Maybe re-do the head to make it look more like a cockpit, but that's about it.

Animals don't traslate well into Lego, too many straight edges.

Otherwise yeah, I'll keep an eye out for this one when it's released.
ChaosChild
Talkative

Postby morganm » Wed May 23, 2012 1:35 pm

The Pick A Brick at my local Lego store had some good stuff so I got a small cup for $8.

About half the cup is filled with these: Image
Also picked up a bunch of these: Image
Some of these (both ends): Image
A bunch of lime green 1x2 SNOT
Some transparent purple and green 1x1 cylinders and some neat aquamarine color transparent 2x2 cylinders
Hand full of bright orange 1x1 round studs
I dunno.. some other stuff I crammed in there =) The main reason was for the 1x1 clips
morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby Lyte » Wed May 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Mantisking wrote:
hari sugarglider wrote:One interesting set which I picked up for cheap here in Australia (though it may have been a pricing error) was the Kokoriko board game. It has eight Travis bricks, some red clips and slopes, white 1x1 round plates with open studs, and thirty-three white 2x2 dome bricks.

Sounds great. Unfortunately it's one of those games that's not available in the U.S.

I just found this at my BX over in Germany. I think it was $9.50, I'm lucky I stumbled upon it. If you are stationed overseas/have access to a US Military installation I would definitely see if your local BX/PX/Nex is carrying it.
~Lyte
My Flickr Page

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who do not.
Lyte
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 pm

hari sugarglider wrote:One interesting set which I picked up for cheap here in Australia (though it may have been a pricing error) was the Kokoriko board game. It has eight Travis bricks, some red clips and slopes, white 1x1 round plates with open studs, and thirty-three white 2x2 dome bricks.
Mantisking wrote:Sounds great. Unfortunately it's one of those games that's not available in the U.S.
Lyte wrote:I just found this at my BX over in Germany. I think it was $9.50, I'm lucky I stumbled upon it. If you are stationed overseas/have access to a US Military installation I would definitely see if your local BX/PX/Nex is carrying it.

I've got a friend who's on a business trip picking one up for me, along with several other games not available in the U.S.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby CrimsonKMR » Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Im going to the Lego store in Burlington MA this Saturday - will report on my findings once I return :3
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

Postby morganm » Wed May 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Mantisking wrote:I saw this one today, 40031 Bunny & Chick polybag. While there are some "enh" parts in the set, it has four Travis Bricks, two Headlight bricks, and some other good parts. It also has 52 pieces and retails for $4.99 USD, which means it falls into the $0.10 per part range which is right in the sweet spot. Also, it's a seasonal item so, if it stays past Easter it'll probably get marked down.

Saw these at the Lego store and still not marked down yet. I know the price per piece is nice but honestly all I wanted were the Travis bricks... which I could just get cheaper elsewhere.

I guess I should further qualify that statement... No I can't get a Travis brick for less than $.10 each on Bricklink. However in a set that costs $5 where ALL I care about are the Travis bricks they then become $1.25 each to me. I can get them from a local Bricklinker (read: no shipping) for MUCH cheaper than $1.25 each.

As I stood there in the store thinking "Oh man I should buy like 10 of these!" I started considering "well all I care about are the Travis bricks... so I'd be spending $50 to get 40 Travis bricks in a single color and I'd get a bunch of parts I don't really care about... or I can go on Bricklink and get exactly what I want for less total money out of pocket." Looking at it from the perspective of total money out of pocket for the parts I care about it wasn't really that great of a value to me.
morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby ChaosChild » Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Actually, I thought the flowerpot/tub/thing from that set could work quite nicely as the base for a station. I haven't got any further with the plan than that, but I still think it has potential.
ChaosChild
Talkative

Postby morganm » Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Oh I'm sure there are plenty of ppl who find the other parts useful and the price per piece is actually worth it. Just a personal decision for me.
morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby CrimsonKMR » Sat May 26, 2012 11:36 am

So im getting ready to head to the Lego store here - other than the PAB wall - is there any good set I should keep an eye out for? I still need a couple frames built, and I havent even started on stations and terrain! :shock:

Suggestions are definitely welcome
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion