Good Sets For Parts

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 am

FlakManiak wrote:Kai's Fire Mech anyone? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=70500-1

Seems to have some good stuff in it. If I were gonna make a red company I'd probably get ~3. Seems to be mostly useful parts.


I got one because I liked the parts in it (inverted 2x2 tile I'm looking at you), but all the joints are big bionicle ball joints, which have limited application for MFZ frames (Pascal's crazy awesome work aside). Some great gold trim pieces though if that's your thing.
User avatar
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 am
Location: Buried in bricks, behind a closed door.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby FlakManiak » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 am

Yeah the joints would be for larger mecha but there are some clip attachments in the set. If I could get 'em for ~$6 I'd buy at least four, but at ten I'm not pulling the trigger since I'm not making a red company (yet). Decided on a Brandenburg Gate so I can jack MittenNinja's trademark black-and-green. That scheme is sweet. Again, Amazon has the set for $23 which is a fantastic deal if you want sand green. 80(!) sand green cheese. Thirteen sand green 1x2 tiles too. Overall a pretty sweet lineup I'd say, especially if one plans to use the tan as well. Even four taps and a Travis. When this gets discontinued I'm definitely gonna try to hunt some down on clearance.

Speaking of clearance, how much forewarning/announcement from TLG is there on sets being retired in general? Does one just have to keep one's ear to the retailers?
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 am

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 pm

FlakManiak wrote:Yeah the joints would be for larger mecha but there are some clip attachments in the set. If I could get 'em for ~$6 I'd buy at least four, but at ten I'm not pulling the trigger since I'm not making a red company (yet). Decided on a Brandenburg Gate so I can jack MittenNinja's trademark black-and-green. That scheme is sweet. Again, Amazon has the set for $23 which is a fantastic deal if you want sand green. 80(!) sand green cheese. Thirteen sand green 1x2 tiles too. Overall a pretty sweet lineup I'd say, especially if one plans to use the tan as well. Even four taps and a Travis. When this gets discontinued I'm definitely gonna try to hunt some down on clearance.

Speaking of clearance, how much forewarning/announcement from TLG is there on sets being retired in general? Does one just have to keep one's ear to the retailers?


You should keep your ear to the retailers regardless.
User avatar
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 am
Location: Buried in bricks, behind a closed door.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby swils » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:20 pm

I did a cursory search but didn't see any mention of it here, but the CUUSO Minecraft set has a ton of 1x1 tiles and plates, mostly in green, brown, and tan. While the set itself is 480 pc/$34.99 usd, and you might be better off bricklinking that same number of tiles/plates, it's still a convenient set if you can make use of the rest of the parts. There's probably enough green and tan tiles in there to accent/team-color two deployments worth of frames. Plus, all the grey/brown pieces can be used for scenery design. It's no poly set, but I think it could find some fans here.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Minecraft-21102
swils
Newcomer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 pm

swils wrote:I did a cursory search but didn't see any mention of it here, but the CUUSO Minecraft set has a ton of 1x1 tiles and plates, mostly in green, brown, and tan. While the set itself is 480 pc/$34.99 usd, and you might be better off bricklinking that same number of tiles/plates, it's still a convenient set if you can make use of the rest of the parts. There's probably enough green and tan tiles in there to accent/team-color two deployments worth of frames. Plus, all the grey/brown pieces can be used for scenery design. It's no poly set, but I think it could find some fans here.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Minecraft-21102


Yeah I would've considered the Minecraft set if it was something like 20 bucks. But, alas, licensing fees and overall hype translates to hyper-inflated prices. Everything in that set that's useful for MFZ is much more easily and cheaply sourced from, as you say, Bricklink.
User avatar
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 am
Location: Buried in bricks, behind a closed door.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 am

User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby jugglervr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Mantisking wrote:My latest blog post.

Holy frijoles, that eagle interceptor's parts list is off the hook. The spidey cycle looks really great, too. Now I know where next paycheck's discretionary income is going.
jugglervr
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:46 pm
Location: Home store: Game Kastle Santa Clara, CA

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby FlakManiak » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 am

jugglervr wrote:Holy frijoles, that eagle interceptor's parts list is off the hook.

Yeah that's what I thought! Mine came in yesterday and man that is a lot of SNOT brackets! And those wing pieces! If I weren't using technic panels for wings I'd be all over those! That said, my Interceptor is staying assembled for a while since my current company doesn't really want its parts. Who knows though... Maybe I should get another from Amazon. It's tempting.
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 am

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby Mantisking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 am

User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby gusindor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 am

I managed to build four chicken-walkers, an armored transport, and two (well, one and a half) stations from just one set: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Construction-Hauler-31005?fromListing=listing
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
User avatar
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby Mantisking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:12 pm

gusindor wrote:I managed to build four chicken-walkers, an armored transport, and two (well, one and a half) stations from just one set: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Construction-Hauler-31005?fromListing=listing

Excellent! Do you have pictures? And could you post that comment to my blog?
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby carpemortis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:35 pm

I don't know if any of you have looked at the Chima Ring of Fire set. It's got allot of extraneous pieces and by the guidelines Mantis King set out would probably fall firmly in the B- category. At least at Target's current price of 15$. But what it does have going for it, is that right out of the box (bag), it has a full 8 unit ruler (In trans orange). It has some other interesting fiddly bits and good stuff for terrain as well, but nothing you can build a frame out of directly.

If you are looking for a ruler without all that mucking about in Bricklink, this is the easiest way to do it.

I've been informed that Walmart has it for 12$.
User avatar
carpemortis
Talkative
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby gusindor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Mantisking wrote:
gusindor wrote:I managed to build four chicken-walkers, an armored transport, and two (well, one and a half) stations from just one set: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Construction-Hauler-31005?fromListing=listing

Excellent! Do you have pictures? And could you post that comment to my blog?

Here's the pictures: The Rusty Rovers!
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
User avatar
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby darksyntax » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 pm

The Highway Pickup, set 7347 may be a little larger and higher priced than most sets people look at as "starter sets", but the "MFZ-parts per million" is pretty high even considering the set contains quite a few large Techinc pieces. Some of the larger pieces in this set could make some good station components too: large cylinders, wheels, engine blade.

The set is 805 pieces at an MSRP of $80 US; right at $0.10/piece. However Amazon has it at $57.37 (and Prime eligible!): $0.71/piece. I noticed the set from Mantisking's TRU post in the "Lego Retail Sales/Clearance Alerts" thread. The TRU tax has it at $85 ($63.74+shipping online); $63.74 with with the current TRU 25% off sale.

Something to think about.
User avatar
darksyntax
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Seattle, WA (USA)

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby Mantisking » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:02 am

User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby Mantisking » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:04 am

darksyntax wrote:The Highway Pickup, set 7347 may be a little larger and higher priced than most sets people look at as "starter sets", but the "MFZ-parts per million" is pretty high even considering the set contains quite a few large Techinc pieces. Some of the larger pieces in this set could make some good station components too: large cylinders, wheels, engine blade.

The set is 805 pieces at an MSRP of $80 US; right at $0.10/piece. However Amazon has it at $57.37 (and Prime eligible!): $0.71/piece. I noticed the set from Mantisking's TRU post in the "Lego Retail Sales/Clearance Alerts" thread. The TRU tax has it at $85 ($63.74+shipping online); $63.74 with with the current TRU 25% off sale.

Something to think about.

What's scary is that it has a lightbrick and is still affordable.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby darksyntax » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Mantisking wrote:My latest blog post.

I've seen the droid tank, but assumed that all the tank treads (which I don't have an immediate use for) would push the effective price/piece too high. I was wrong and happily so! And I didn't realize the "MFZ ppm" is as high as it is either: 14 SNOT bricks, 9 dishes, 6 1x2 curved slopes, 6 boatstuds, 10 misc bars (+4 flick missiles), 4 T's, 2 nozzles. This is on the shopping list!

Mantisking wrote:What's scary is that it has a lightbrick and is still affordable.

2 actually!
User avatar
darksyntax
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Seattle, WA (USA)

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby FlakManiak » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:43 pm

So... How exactly does that tank droid set exist? It's Star Wars, and yet it's 271 pieces for twenty dollars?! When I saw the price on Lego.com, I assumed it must have been some kind of sale, though the page gave no indication. Even looked it up on Brickset and that corroborated the price. Only Amazon believes it ever cost more, stating $25 as its original price. And yet even then it would be below the golden ratio! Guess I know what I'm getting next time I get any sets. Gonna feel real weird getting a Star Wars set. Oh and it's an even sicker deal if one can manage to sell the Jango. Lowest BrickLink price for the figure is $7 or so. Yeah. Crazy.
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 am

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby ChaosChild » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:06 am

It says a lot about prices over here, that a $20 set costs £20 in the UK. :x
User avatar
ChaosChild
Talkative
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:20 am
Location: Peterborough, UK

Postby Dukayn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:51 am

Yeah it's the same here in Australia. We've been watching some Brick Show reviews, and they talk about a $120 set, which here is $250.
User avatar
Dukayn
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests